Sneaky Mid-week hunt

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

Sneaky Mid-week hunt

#1 Post by Fanto » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 am

Gday

I had a couple of hours spare and decided to get out of town and see if I could find some goats a mate had told me about. This particular spot is a deep valley in the Adelaide Hills, and without really having any idea where I was going or what to look for I headed up the southern side of the valley. got about halfway up the hill, which was about 200m high on about a 20-30% gradient, and looked accross to the opposite side of the valley where i noticed some "sheep." anyway, mixed in with the white "sheep" i noticed a black "sheep" then a brown spotted "sheep" the cogs slowly ticked over and it dawned on me that these girls were in fact goats and I was, in fact, on the wrong side of the valley.
Attachments
youll have to look hard but youll see white specks in the middle of the frame
youll have to look hard but youll see white specks in the middle of the frame
d 003 small.JPG (76.65 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Fanto

Re: Sneaky Mid-week hunt

#2 Post by Fanto » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 am

Anyway, due to my lack of time I decided not to attempt to cross the valley but instead to press on up the hill ahead of me and continue looking. I came accross an olive grove with plenty of evidence of goats recently present and consuming olives. turns out it gives them the trotts.

I was using some new realtree Advantage camo, seems to work well. I sat still for a while and heard a branch crack, some leaves rustle and a saw a shape moving through the undergrowth about 20 yards away. It was a wallaby, he didnt get spooked, just sat still and eventually hopped off gently as if nothing was bothering him- none of the horrendous foot thumping they make when spooked.

Found no more goats but have confirmed that this is an excellent hunting ground.

cheers

p.s. Ben im loving the Hunter
Attachments
d small 004.JPG
d small 004.JPG (28.25 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:15 am

Looks good hope you get onto them.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:20 am

Would be great having hunting that close to home. :biggrin: I hope you get the drop on them next trip.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:36 am

Good one,goodluck with future hunts mate. :wink:

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:25 pm

thankyou gentlemen

I shall post an update next time around

cheers

Benny Nganabbarru

#7 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Good stuff!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

emu

#8 Post by emu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 pm

good stuff,i havent got goats but no shortage of foxes and hares around the vineyards at the moment.Good luck with nailing them goats cause it aint easy walking around these hills lol
cheers emu
Bugger work lets go Hunting

Fanto

#9 Post by Fanto » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:49 pm

thanks Emu

youre right my ankles were knackered. on the decent my knees were getting a bit shaky too.

If you would like a little assistance with your fox and hare population, I would very much like to come and fling some arras at them! if your interested let me know and ill send you a PM

cheers