NZ's west coast, mountain memories

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

NZ's west coast, mountain memories

#1 Post by clinton miller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:53 pm

LBrod55 says the hunting and fishing section needs some new content
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12881

here's some input from me.

myself, paul rea and mark pitts did our 2nd trip to the west coast in may this year. it was a walk in and walk out affair. turned out to be 13 days and 12 nights. it was a great trip this year. we all enjoyed our time in mountains and we will all return to do it again.

WOW, we had a great time. it was 100% better than last years trip. we went to the same catchment but hunted a different range than last year. saw heaps of chamois but not so many tahr. they were further along the range. however we still saw some and i made a couple of stalks and got to within 20 yards both times. overall weather was good. got fogged out few days and a couple of days of snow and rain.
here's some to start off with-

last year we walked along a trail by the river but this year we headed up a side creek to get to the tops. it took us 2.5 days to get to the bushline and start hunting proper. we saw chamois in the creek but it isn't very trad friendly sort of hunting. the bush is super thick and the terrain in the creek is boulders and boulders. rifle and wheel bow guys hunt successfully in the creeks but you only see fleeting glimpses of chamois usually so it makes it hard for us.
this is us ready to roll. the destination is the background. from left- myself, mark and paul. some of these pics are theirs so credit goes to them also for the pics.
which way?
just keep going up.
this is the creek we walked up. lots of boulder hopping and scrambling. it's way steeper than it appears, about 30-45 degrees.
this is a swing bridge on the trail up the river. awhile after this we went up the side creek. no more trails for 10 days until we returned.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Gringa Bows

Re: NZ's west coast, mountain memories

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Love the pics Clint,dont stop :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Now that is challenging hunting. Great photos too.

Jeff

clinton miller

#4 Post by clinton miller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 pm

pushing to the tops

camp the 2nd night, still ascending the creek to access the tops above the treeline.

some of the chamois we saw in the creek on the way up the mountain.

here's another pic i like. it was a clear moonlit night on the 2nd night. i played around with the time exposure function. this is a 5 minute exposure, no flash.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:35 pm

we made camp in the tussock at the end of the 3rd day. a quick peek over the ridge behind camp revealed a nice bowl. who should be there.... mr bull tahr, catching some rays before the fog rolled in. (center of the pic)

this is me returning to camp after a days hike to some tahr. got to within 20 yards of a mob of 6 nannies and one good mature bull. getting a shot proved unfruitfull. my only cover was a knife edge ridge. i was stuck behind it at 20 yards. the only way to get a shot was to pop up from behind a boulder, totally skylined. they were either going to stand there for a second and let me shoot or flee.......they fled. it was an awesome experience. the terrain as usuall proved to be the hard part. getting close wasn't the problem if the topography allowed. once you were close enough it often worked against you. getting into an undetected shooting position with a stickbow in this kind of terrain is often impossible. but if you keep putting yourself into the right places at some stage the planets will come into alignment. determination and persistance...........
this is me all rugged up ready for a days hunting.

clinton miller

#6 Post by clinton miller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:40 pm

mark takes in the scenery.
this is me, pic was taken from camp.

this where we camped as viewed from the ridge above camp. the tents are circled. it looks alot like 'machu picchu' i reckon. that's what we called it.
this is the view of camp as seen from my position in the previous pic
mark on top of machu picchu.

clinton miller

#7 Post by clinton miller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:46 pm

paul taking in the view. his KUIU gear is perfect camo for this rocky country we were in. he is very happy with it too.
we'll just stalk in and get him right. WRONG. try getting close to this fella. the have a habit of bedding in postions that are very difficult to approach.
mark called this guy his nemisis.
he hunted him for a few days but things never worked out for him unfortunately.

tahr country-
this is the big bowl i walked across to go and stalk some tahr that i glassed. they were in the saddle on the far side. as i said on page 1 of the thread , i got to within 20m of a good bull but couldn't get a shot. i experienced the very essence of mountain bowhunting that day. the weather was perfect, the terrain a challenge, the quarry was without equal. just me and the mountains and that animals that live there. i was one very happy hunter that day.
this is looking towards where the tahr were from the ridge above camp. i got my tahr stalk on the ridge line that goes up from the left of the saddle. the tahr were on one side i was on the other.

this is looking back to where the previous pic was taken. camp is beyond that ridge. i was sitting in the saddle having a bite to eat.

one of the 2 young bulls that i glassed originally from the ridge behind camp. when i got over there i spotted the mob that i had the stalk on.
i had plans of hunting this area quite a bit over the course of the trip but after that we had a few foggy days and plenty of snow which made the trek over there too dangerous. there where a few gnarly sections in order to get over there and fresh snow and wet rocks that get frozen and covered in ice completely changes things over there. even snow on the tussock was slippery. what took you an hour yesterday in good conditions now takes 2 or more hours.

oh well i suppose i should hunt chamois instead..............
got to love the choice over there.

clinton miller

#8 Post by clinton miller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:57 pm

on the 9th day we awoke to a fresh fall of snow. the weather had cleared, a welcome change to being fogged in like the previous 2 days. it was time to hunt and hunt hard. when the weather is good you must hunt. i was not going home without having hunted as much as i could. a year is a long time to wonder if i could have done more. if the weather allowed i was out there.
i had ventured far from camp over the last few days and today was no different. we had been glassing chamois the entire trip on a ridge across the face of the range we were on. none of us knew what lay beyond. all we knew was that there was always chamois over there. i decided to make a day of it and check it out.
the snow had made the tussock very slippery and it was hiding the holes between the rocks and clumps of tussock. i slowly made way down and crossed the head of the creek that we had walked up from the river bottom. then i made my up the ridge that the chamois we could glass from camp would appear from and dissappear to. my anticipation was high as i poked my head over the ridge.

more little spurs and ridges. this looked more like trad bowhuntable country. it was more broken and not so open like the bowl we had been hunting where they can see you a mile away. every time you looked over the next little ridge or in the gully you might see something. the sort of topography where you could poke your head over a ridge and if you don't see something you walk a few hundred meters and check out what is over the next one.

i slowly made my way to the next one and peered over........
straight away i laid eyes upon a lone chamois only 40 meters away. i dropped back over the ridge in suprise. "whoa, this is the real deal" i thought to myself. this could be the best chance i might get.
i dropped my pack and made a start at getting close. i had to climb down some monkey scrub down a 2 meter drop off to get on the little spur that led down to where the chamios was. once there i snuck down through some knee high brush while it was out of view in a little rock slip. i got to about 20 meters from where i last saw it then waited. i caught it's movement up towards me then it came into view and i could tell it was a nanny. then it slipped into the tussock again and out of sight. i kept trying to find her but i couldn't see her moving. then i caught movement. i almost got busted as she had fed up towards me up another little slip. she looked my way but turned around and fed back down. now or never! she was at around 13-15 meters quartering away at a steep downward angle, about 40 degrees.
i hit her a little far back than i wanted and she ran off and stood on a little knob at 30 meters. i had another shot but missed. she took off again and pulled up about 60m away. by now she was getting reluctant to move and i managed to get in and put another shot on her. she trotted off about 10m and went down. i got in closer still and not wanting to take any chances on what could be a once in a lifetime thing i put one last arrow in her chest.
then it hit me, there was a dead chamois at my feet. i couldn't believe it, a dream had been lived. i knelt down beside her, placed my hand on her soft tan fur and took a moment to give thanks to her and the mountains. the mountains are often reluctant to share their bounty and when they do it's special.
this was something i had dreamed of doing for years. more importantly i did it in the manner that i had always wanted to do it. packing in and out and with a trad bow.

melting white stuff for water-
everything has to have 2 uses on a backpack hunt into the mountains. marks descent to the snowline was made fast and easy thanks to my bow limbs.

the walk (pronounced scramble) out.
a comfortable camp.

clinton miller

#9 Post by clinton miller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:02 pm

the last supper of chamios. it's the best meat we have ever tasted. note to self- substitute talc powder in windchecker for cornflour in case you shoot a chamios and want to make gravy. :lol:

we shall return............ machu picchu is center of pic

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:13 pm

That sure is difficult hunting country. Congrats on your Chamois; a fantastic achievement!!!

Thanks also for the story and great photos! :biggrin:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Top story and pics mate ,congrats on the chamois you earnt it :wink:

stickshooter

#12 Post by stickshooter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Well done Clinton thats really hard county.
you have joined the few who have managed to get a Chamois with trade gear in the Southern Alps
Great pics & story
:biggrin:

bigbob

#13 Post by bigbob » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Fantastic! Great photos, terrific scenery and great commentary. for those of us that age and/or fiscal deficiency preclude being able to do a trip like that, thanks for the insight. Jsut looking at some of those slopes though almost gave me vertigo!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

clinton miller

#14 Post by clinton miller » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:09 pm

bigbob wrote: for those of us that age and/or fiscal deficiency preclude being able to do a trip like that, thanks for the insight.
cost me less than $800 in total. the most expensive part is putting together the kit to do it.

or do mean physical deficiency not fiscal deficiency?

bigbob

#15 Post by bigbob » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:51 pm

or do mean physical deficiency not fiscal deficiency?
Both! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Slackshot

#16 Post by Slackshot » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Very Very Good Clinton :mrgreen:
Slackshot aka Gary Case

UPTHETOP

#17 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Clint living the dream mate. Congradulations.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

English archery

#18 Post by English archery » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:48 pm

That us awesome mate have plans to do the same thing I hunt a lot with my father and he is no were near fit enough to do that kind of stuff I know he would love to but I know he could not I plan to do something the same next year if your ever in need of another hunting partner I've got all the correct gear for the Extreem , the hunt is the challenge not the kill love the pics very jellous hunt hard and hunt well cheers Steve.

slinkymalinky

#19 Post by slinkymalinky » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:31 am

I know this thread is old but WOW... absolutely incredibly stunningly AMAZING

Through all the awe inspiring photos and great hunting tale I think I'm more overwhelmed with the sheer physical challenge of what you've done, Clint. The level of fitness you'd need to not only survive that trip but to enjoy it is something pretty incredible.

Fantastic and thanks for sharing.

T
"There is no spoon"

Dryfired

#20 Post by Dryfired » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:07 pm

I also know this thread is old, but it is an incredible story with a great outcome (at least for one hunter!). Absolutely top work and thanks for sharing the tale! Epic.

otis.drum

#21 Post by otis.drum » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:46 pm

wow, nice country that Clinton. Good going!
...otis...

Zega

Re: NZ западном побережье, горы воспоминания

#22 Post by Zega » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:03 am

wow :shock: excellently
Evgeniy Ovcharov

Chase N. Nocks

Re: NZ западном побережье, горы воспоминания

#23 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Zega wrote:wow :shock: excellently
Wow works for me.

Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Bent Stick

#24 Post by Bent Stick » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:29 pm

its an old but i break out the denco rub and the oxyviva for another run over it, its awesome country isn't it
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Brett Finger

#25 Post by Brett Finger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Gob Smacked... amazing photos and story... :shock:
Kind regards, Bretto
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Mick Smith

#26 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Now that's an impressive report! 8)
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.