Scouting trip for bear

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

BenBow

Scouting trip for bear

#1 Post by BenBow » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 am

Got out this morning for a trip to the mountains to see if I could find any sign of bear and to do a bit of shooting.
Still hot here so kind of tough hiking. Checked out a spring but no sign. Wanted to do some shooting with my new bow but it was awfully rocky.
Did find a few bare spots and got off a few shots at some cactus. I am having trouble shooting high with this bow but getting used to it.
I was able to drive up to the top of the mesa and found this near the top. I might have matched the size of this if I'd run into the guy that made this. I didn't find much for the bears to feed on. Very few acorns on the oaks and I didn't see any pinion trees with nuts though it looked like this guy had found a few somewhere. I need to keep looking to find a good food source.
Later I found a dead cow near a water hole and looks like it has been worked over by at least one bear. Season starts the 1st of September so I've got to do some more scouting.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Scouting trip for bear

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for taking us along of the scouting trip. When I saw the word shooting and that first photo I thought :surprised: :lol:

Jeff

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for the pics, mate. Looks like dangerous country for arras, that's for sure! Good luck on the bears come September! :biggrin:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

BenBow

#4 Post by BenBow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Went out again last Sunday afternoon. Rough country but it has it's own beauty. Found some acorns but no other sign.
Someone else has been hunting here.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Bill » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:38 am

:smile: Nice and thanks, BenBow for the story and the look around, it is sometimes not the hope you get what your after but to enjoy what you have got.............Bill

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:30 am

Hey, thanks for more photos - love them. It is rugged looking country but still beautiful. Great find with the piece of arrow head also. :biggrin:

Jeff