Expense necessary?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Sinners121

Expense necessary?

#1 Post by Sinners121 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:21 pm

is buying an expensive broad head necessary? ive just been mucking around with ribtecks till my proper arrows come and the seem to be a great head and every time i hit stone (sadly quite often good thing they are just muck around shafts) it breaks the stone and the heads are still sharp. so i want to know if its really necessary to pay for VPA's and other expensive broad heads?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Expense necessary?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:41 pm

IMO absolutely not!

Ribteks are quality broadheads; they just happen to be a quality head that isn't expensive. I have been using them for over twenty years and have shot dozens and dozens of animals with them and have found them to be excellent.

Jeff

hazard

#3 Post by hazard » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:57 pm

There is no such thing as "Right and Wrong" its just how much you can afford to pay your Lawyers :wink:

You don't have to borrow against the house to get a broad head that suits you either. I reckon if they fly TRU and you believe you get adequate penetration on the game you are hunting to achieve an ethical kill you shouldn't feel troubled.

I do believe it still comes down to Horses for Courses and you can't believe all you hear and read, Graphs and hearsay cant replace the exprience of giving it a go. The people who so freely quote "what you should be doing" seem mostly to be quoting from something they have read read and take it as the only truth not a guideline.
Sinners121 wrote: ive just been mucking around with ribtecks till my proper arrows come and the seem to be a great head and every time i hit stone
It sounds like you have a fair starting point, don't be too hard on yourself mate :wink: Read a little and try a lot.

I personally like long heavy broad heads but I find long Concords with long straight blades suit me best and don't think much of the dished blades on Howard Hill's but I know others who love Howard Hill broad heads. I will in time give the ribby's a go as well.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Bent Stick

#4 Post by Bent Stick » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:11 pm

They all work mate, just enjoy it with the budget you got, if you decide later you want to splach out and try some others go for it.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Sinners121

#5 Post by Sinners121 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:26 pm

thanks guy, exactly what i wanted to hear, ive scored a fair few properties recently so will keep you updated how it goes!!

Gene-o

#6 Post by Gene-o » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Ribtek, Tusker, Blackstump... cant go wrong with any of them. Thats all I use mate. Good luck with the hunting.

Geneo :wink:

bear74

#7 Post by bear74 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:59 am

I've been from budget to expensive as probaly most others also, I now use ribbie 190's exclusively as do the job just as well as any other broadhead for a fraction of the cost.
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!