'An Old Trip I remember updated jan 2013"

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

UPTHETOP

'An Old Trip I remember updated jan 2013"

#1 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am

‘There’s Something About The Cape ’

It’s that time of the year late in the dry season, when most of us keen bow hunters who chase pigs, make the long journey north to The Cape. With the weather testing our patience, the hot and humid conditions hoping to bring some game to ground. I was lucky enough this year to be invited by good friends for another go at hunting The Cape and all it has to offer. This was a great opportunity for a ‘get close and personal’ traditional bow hunter such as myself. As many bow hunters know and who have made the journey from far and wide The Cape is a long way to travel and just getting there is a feat in itself.
As the white lines disappeared to rocks and bull dust we still had another three hours to travel to our hunting destination. The previous week had seen two unseasonable inches of rainfall which is really unheard of at this October time of the year. The land still hard, dry and grassless was making a quick comeback and a sea of matt green covered the ground where water had pooled in shallow depressions for the last week or so. The abundance of bird life was truly overwhelming, with Bustards, Burdekin Ducks, Whistlers, Finches and large Brolgas just to name a few hanging out at the last pools of water which had fallen and had brought the land a reprieve for a week or two. With such a small amount of rain we were optimistic it wasn’t enough to scatter the pigs and most would still be found on the large remaining river systems the property had to offer.
We passed a large mustering camp set up at one of the property’s billabongs, the rain had also wreaked havoc to cattle transport and they were being coached to the property’s higher ground which would allow truck transport to gain access after the late season muster had finished. The property’s homestead came into view and we slowed the truck down to avoid a dust plum which followed the vehicle like a dessert dust storm.
Introductions were made, with many new friends being made and a camp set up in one of the nearby sheds saw out the business end of our day. We were then treated to an unbelievable dinner experience as a few twenty kilo boxes of prawns had defrosted by accident from genny failure during the night … we ate until no more prawns could enter our stomachs … “Ah, so this is what it’s like to eat like a king?”
Camp for the week.
Camp for the week.
DSCF0006.JPG (98.7 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
A large swamp on the place
A large swamp on the place
DSC00014.JPG (137.75 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
The next day was a slow start as the hotter it gets, the better it is to hunt in this hard and harsh land - The Cape. Midday and the afternoon finds the pigs thirsting for the water, returning to the river to drink and lay to rest in the cool wet sand which lines the rivers water’s edge. This is where a hunter can prove his worth and close stalks are the name of the game and especially close for traditional gear. Don’t get me wrong as over the week I was busted many a time from the wind, to the ground covered corn flakes and just through sheer stupidity many pigs made their flight to freedom, when arrow was on string. But, as an old bow hunter once told me, you have won the race when you have entered their personal space and the ‘silent death’ is just icing on the cake.
Another draw card for the pigs at this time of the year is the huge fig trees located along the river banks which give or take a month or two are always in fruit at this time of the year. If you have heard the expression ‘happy as a kid in a lolly shop’ then figs are the lolly shops for Cape pigs. Looking ahead of you and locating a fig tree was a sure bet to nock an arrow for they wouldn’t be too far away, bedded down and not far from the candy store.
My two best pigs for the week came from this tactic and each stalk is embedded into my memory for years to come…..
The first saw me approaching a large fig clearing with a small sow and maybe three or four piglets clearing the ground of recently fallen fruit. All of a sudden a loud grunt was heard and a nice boar trotted into view, he was clearly upset with this tucker being taken before his arrival. Chasing them off, he took over shift and proceeded to pick up the scraps left behind by the previous crew. A quick look through the binos and sure enough a good lip curl and ivory was present and easily visible, as he chewed on the left over fruit.
Now as many of you will know getting in close on the cornflakes, which appeared to be about six inches thick underfoot, is an awesome feat in itself. The Dunlop’s slipped off, pack dropped and arrow nocked, the stalk began…
Twenty or so minutes later found me within five metres and nothing between us but a huge old fig tree. I drew the string on my Checkmate and as the boar moved into view – the arrow was released and in an instant a heart did it take. As the big boar exploded from sheer shock, I don’t know who got a bigger fright me or him and disappeared in a small cloud of dust. I followed quickly, a continuous blood trail was easily traceable and a short time found the boar piled up against a log. I could still see his eyes open and years of experience had told me to be wary as Cape pigs are renowned for fighting to the end. I put another arrow to the string and at two metres the boar jumped and charged me, it was all so very fast! The arrow struck him in the head with such force, bending the alloy shaft and snapping off the broad head insert, he then just simply fell over and expired. I don’t know what he was running on, as a closer inspection showed a clear heart shot. I think a little more respect for such a fine feral animal was gained that day in The Cape. (TC 27 2/8).
Look close and see the broadhead above the Eye.
Look close and see the broadhead above the Eye.
DSC00030.JPG (177.54 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
A day or two later hunting a small break-away gully I spotted a boar lying on the edge of a small pool of water facing away from me and I had the wind in my face. The hunting God’s were with me that day. A routine had developed and the Dunlop’s removed, pack lowered and arrow to string and the stalk began…
Great doulble Tusks.
Great doulble Tusks.
DSC00036.JPG (154.81 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
It doesn’t happen too often when the brain is in gear but it was this time and ten minutes later found me kneeling not five metres away from not a small boar but a cracker and ivory protruding from his top jaw overshadowing the size of the lower one’s. A large log covered the shot and crouching down even lower with the Checkmate at right angles, a perfect shot was released into the big boar – silent death! It was a quick death and smiles all around when the ivory was seen close up for the first time. I thought I had secured the second thirty pointer in my life until the boil up that night and the hooks pulled up short at (TC 27 4/8).
Who needs Camo?
Who needs Camo?
DSC00037.JPG (198.06 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
But still a great stalk and great memory which was ingrained into the grey matter that day.
I will remember this Cape trip for a long time to come and how lucky I was to be invited to such a magnificent place. The new friendships I have formed will hold me in good stead in the bow hunting journey I have chosen, and maybe next year I’ll be on the invitation list again, we can only hope.

Cheers Wayno
Last edited by UPTHETOP on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

bigbob

Re: 'An Old Trip I remember"

#2 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:03 am

Man with the size of those grinders you'd reckon the hooks would be a moral for 30 pts.Great story by the way.loved it.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:19 am

Sounds like a great week. A couple of ripper boars Wayno - congrats. The Cape is a place I have yet to hunt.

Jeff

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:15 am

:biggrin: Thats one great story along with great surpporting pictures, :surprised: very enjoyable. thanks.

wishsong

#5 Post by wishsong » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:10 am

Wayno ... behind those dashing good looks lies the heart of a true wordsmith .

A story well told mate ... I not only wish I could tell a story so well ... but also be at the point where I am disappointed at a 27pt pig ..... :wink:

Kudos mate and thanks for sharing

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:22 am

Top story Wayne,and the pigs were beauties too :biggrin:

hazard

#7 Post by hazard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Awesome story and Pickies Wayno

What an amazing place, well done mate

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

bear74

#8 Post by bear74 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:55 pm

its them memoirs of old trips which keep the anticipation of new adventures alive wayno, great write up mate!
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

UPTHETOP

#9 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Cheers Fellas, Wayno.

ole_silver

#10 Post by ole_silver » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi Waynoe.................

great way with the pen on paper there my friend, very well done, great story and great pictures to boot...

best regards,

Steve..........
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"

UPTHETOP

#11 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:17 am

Cant wait until Sepember Steve, will be good just being up there with good friends.

Cheers Wayno

UPTHETOP

#12 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Instead of doing another thread I thought I would just add a few photos onto this one as it was the same place we hunted as last year.
Got some nice boars again this trip it seems the hunting Gods look after me on this place for shore. Got to know the place a little better and look forward to this years hunt and maybe some bigger hooks.

A few photos.

Cheers Wayno
Attachments
caught him sleeping easy 3 mtr shot.
caught him sleeping easy 3 mtr shot.
DSC00111.JPG (171.74 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
had to look at this sunset every arvo
had to look at this sunset every arvo
DSCF0001.JPG (63.86 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
DSC00104.JPG
DSC00104.JPG (198.65 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
DSC00098.JPG
DSC00098.JPG (163.41 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Still going strong Roadie
Still going strong Roadie
DSCF0017.JPG (100.74 KiB) Viewed 3944 times

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 'An Old Trip I remember updated jan 2013"

#13 Post by Bill » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:09 pm

8) Top job Wayno, you've done it again with another very interesting story along with some very nice pictures, thanks again......Bill

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Some great hooks there Wayno - congrats!!!

Jeff

blu-dog

#15 Post by blu-dog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am

The stuff dreams are made of Wayno!!! Fantastic photos as always...
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

rodlonq

#16 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 am

Good huntin' Wayno, congratulations mate. Nice work on the storyu and photos too Wayne.

Cheers....... Rod

Guy Layton

#17 Post by Guy Layton » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Wayno,

Top work mate...!

Great game taken and many memories had I'm sure...! 8)

I love how the Checkmates limbs recess into the riser.... it must be a top shooter...? 8)

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!