It's taken a while, but I am on the board.

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

It's taken a while, but I am on the board.

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Well things have been slow for me this year. Despite having a couple of good trips away, it has taken me until July to get something on the ground. The game just hasn't turned up when we have been there, or I just haven't been able to get in on them.
So with Keith throwing me a line to go with him, I was in hope I would break the 2012 drought 8)
4 days in the hills & the batteries feel fresh & recharged 8) We copped Melbourne weather, we had frost, we had wind, we had sunshine, we had rain. But we soon learned that not even the weather was going to stop us 8)

Anyway, I didn't take many pics, but I will get them up 8)

Not a bad view from the loo :biggrin:

Keith was on the board soon enough on Day one with a nice young boar 8) The scrub is thick, so a quick blood trail & we soon had him found & in front of the camera 8) But I will let him fill you all in with the details, needless to say it was great to watch it all unfold.

In our travels back to camp, I was shooting the canon (camera) at this young fella

While Keith was ready for a few young pigs we had seen poking their heads out of the bush not far away.

Rolling into camp late in the arvo on day one. We sit, have a quick chat & spot goats on the ridge from camp. Keith chimes in with, you better go shoot one of them hey :biggrin:

So I did :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
First kill for 2012 8) & damn happy to finally get on the board :biggrin:

Day 2 seen us go our separate ways, I headed high into the hills in search of glory, but it wasn't my day. All I managed to do was get a good work out & seen some great country 8)
I did spot a couple of pigs in my travels though. I got into 5m on this sow, but she had days to week old looking suckers with her, so I just watched until the wind gave me away 8)

Later in the day I spotted this small mob graze into the open while I was having lunch, but by the time I finished lunch & rolled down the hill they had disappeared :roll:

So nothing went down on day 2, but maybe a few kilos off the waste line 8)

Day 3 seen us wake to drizzling rain :confused: Keith was out of the blocks early, with me a little slower but still in the hills soon enough. I had chosen another tuff walk, but it had soon become worth it 8)
After struggling to stay on my feet due to the rain as I navigated over a ridge & through a gully, I was soon on top of the ridge line I wanted to follow along, when I spooked a nice looking boar out of his bed at about 10 meters. He soon continued down the hill & must have run into some trouble, because I soon heard him in a scrap with another fella. While listening I spotted movement out the corner of my eye, a mob of goats had risen to see what all the fuss was about.
I was soon into position & waiting to see what opportunities would arise.Soon enough a nice Billy caught my attention, I chose the driest looking arrow that still had some shape about the feathers & placed it on the string, drew back & let it go.
It was one of those moments, where everything you know is perfect, the arrow flew sweet, it hit sweet tight behind the shoulder & cleaned passed through, with that he lurched up & was dead before he hit the ground.
I was over whelmed. I had worked my but off in the rain to get to this point & it had all gone off with out a hitch. Certainly one of those hunts I will remember for a long time. It was like a hunt you read about. I sat for a while, listened to the rain & just took it all in.

We shared some stories & a few drinks around the fire later that night once the rain eased off.

Our final day. Day 4.
Well another big walk with not much result early on, 2 ridges from camp I hear that bleating noise I have heard many times before. I sneak in to get a look. I sit & watch for a while. I wasn't keen to shoot another goat unless I could get a nice young meat goat, or an upgrade to the two billies I had already shot.
Then I spotted him, he was the one. I locked on, got into a position where I though he was going to come by & then just had to wait for him to play his part. He did, to perfection.
I had my 3rd goat for the trip which also just happens to be my PB goat. I had surpassed my best goat to date which had been shot with a compound bow a few years ago. So here I was again, in this bubble just taking in the quiet & everything that had just unfolded, not just now, but over the last 4 days 8)

My best goat to date 8)

On the way back to camp, I come across another small mob of goats. They were to say the least unreal in themselves. I sat & watched them for a while & decided I would just walk towards them to get through. Well they just moved out of my way & let me through, I had goats either side of me as I walked through the middle of them :shock: :surprised: I was stunned, I couldn't believe it, so I just kept on going having a little chuckle on the way.

Keith also got a meat goat, but once again, I will let him fill you in & share his pics 8) 8)

Our haul for the trip 8)

Thanks to Keith for a good trip, it was great to get out bush, to spot & to get a few critters, as well as recharge the batteries.
Thanks for reading.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: It's taken a while, but I am on the board.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Congrats to the both of you!!! Glad to see you get a few this trip and ya best billy too - great stuff!!! :biggrin: You looked a bit cold in that photo in the rain with your second billy. :shock: Great photos as usual and thanks for sharin' the trip with us mate.

Jeff

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Absolutely great stuff nutgrass, so glad to see you get a pb and a good one at that. Enjoyed your write up , and feel a bit envious.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

hazard

#4 Post by hazard » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Nutgrass wrote:I was soon into position & waiting to see what opportunities would arise.Soon enough a nice Billy caught my attention, I chose the driest looking arrow that still had some shape about the feathers & placed it on the string, drew back & let it go.
It was one of those moments, where everything you know is perfect, the arrow flew sweet, it hit sweet tight behind the shoulder & cleaned passed through, with that he lurched up & was dead before he hit the ground.
I was over whelmed. I had worked my but off in the rain to get to this point & it had all gone off with out a hitch. Certainly one of those hunts I will remember for a long time. It was like a hunt you read about. I sat for a while, listened to the rain & just took it all in.
Man what a hunt you guys must have had!! :biggrin:

I don't need to Pi$$ in your pocket about the quality of the pics, you have exceeded it too many times 8)

Great story and congrats to you both on a fantastic hunt and post!!

You are giving us exactly what this forum needs....more hunting posts!!!

Well done mate on the PB!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Top story great pics,congrats to you both..........................as Jeff said,you do look a bit chilled in that pic :surprised: :biggrin:

Nutgrass

#6 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks Stickbow. It was cold, but I had 4 layers of clothing on & really didn't feel the cold until I was on the last leg to camp. I was just about soaked through by then & starting to feel it 8)

Thanks Bigbob, it was good to get a new pb with my current hunting equipment (longbows & timber arrows) 8)

Thanks Hazard, the poor old camera copped it all this trip, sub zero, rain. But I just gave her a good clean up & all is well 8)

Thanks LB rod. Not sure I would have been up there just to look at the view that day :lol:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.

flyne

#7 Post by flyne » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Great story great pics and congrats on the PB goat
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Guy Layton

#8 Post by Guy Layton » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Top work guys...!!! :biggrin:

Looks like you've had a top hunt..... Nothing like cold weather hunting is there.... 8)

Cheers Guy... :biggrin:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Benny Nganabbarru

#9 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Hey, well-done!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

bear74

#10 Post by bear74 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:00 am

great write up and pictures, well done!
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

blu-dog

#11 Post by blu-dog » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Great to see a few more ferals falling victim to the mighty Gringas!!!

Looks like the "Gidget Weather Curse" (which is aligned with each camping/hunting trip) is still in full effect...Well Done!

Where can I expect to see those horns hanging when I drop over next...the loungeroom?
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

RobHunter

#12 Post by RobHunter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Well done

that's a nice looking goat ( the PB ).

was that a cheap shot at Melbourne, or did you travel to Vic ?

Remembering we don,t get cyclones down south :D

Rob

Nutgrass

#13 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:52 pm

RobHunter wrote:Well done

that's a nice looking goat ( the PB ).

was that a cheap shot at Melbourne, or did you travel to Vic ?

Remembering we don,t get cyclones down south :D

Rob

No cheap shot, I have spent plenty of time down that way & it is really true :lol: but this trip was in sunny Qld 8)

Thanks everyone, am still feeling pretty chuffed :biggrin:

Keith Lee

#14 Post by Keith Lee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:02 pm

They were a good four days thanks Gary,a couple more pics.
Attachments
027 (Small).JPG
027 (Small).JPG (63.08 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
028 (Small).JPG
028 (Small).JPG (108.99 KiB) Viewed 6306 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks for the photos Keith. You blokes need to learn to smile a little more. :mrgreen:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Good pics Keith,you finally got that elusiveTexas goat hey :biggrin:

Keith Lee

#17 Post by Keith Lee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Yes Rod went looking for goats and all i could fine was pigs.

Gringa Bows

#18 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:01 pm

:lol:

wishsong

#19 Post by wishsong » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 am

Great job boys !

Nutgrass

#20 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Thanks for the photos Keith. You blokes need to learn to smile a little more. :mrgreen:

Jeff

I actually try not to smile :shock: Sometimes it can wreck a photo with a grinning idiot behind down game :wink: But I suppose we could at least try & look like we weren't passing razor blades :biggrin:

Thanks everyone, wish I was still there, this working crap isn't no where near as fun :roll:

Have to get in & clean those skull caps up :oops: Had a busy week trying to catch up again :roll: It's like everything just waited until I got back :confused:

Nice work on the pics Keith 8)

Nutgrass

#21 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Seen this fella on the way back to camp. Not a very clear photo, but his horns run down the back of his head before coming out. Only a youngen, but will be a unique head if he gets big enough 8)

rodlonq

#22 Post by rodlonq » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Well done fellas. Top photos as usual, thanks for sharing.

Gringa Bows

#23 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Ay Keith,i was just looking at the bow in the pic with the goat,was that first blood for the 70 incher?just had another look and see you got the pig with it too hey yeeha good stuff :biggrin:
Last edited by Gringa Bows on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hazard

#24 Post by hazard » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Thanks for the photos Keith. You blokes need to learn to smile a little more. :mrgreen:

Jeff

Hey Jeff go a bit easy on the guys their dog just died :wink:

I still reckon after a really good hunt and kill coming to grips with how fantastic the moment was I too don't find a 'Smile" easy to rouse, A disjointed smile seem to be replaced by the rush of the moment! 8)

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Gringa Bows

#25 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:36 pm

that young billy in that last pic will be a good head for the wall in a few years Nutgrass :wink:

Nutgrass

#26 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:48 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:that young billy in that last pic will be a good head for the wall in a few years Nutgrass :wink:

Yer I reckon you are right, he must have been from one of the older billies who had a similar head & was a bit bigger. Give it a few years & we might have to go track him down :biggrin:

chally

#27 Post by chally » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:51 am

Well done on the game taken. Few pigs getting about by the looks of it.

Cheers

Nephew

#28 Post by Nephew » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Dunno how I missed this until now! Onya boys, especially you, Nuts! :biggrin: Good to see, now when are ya gunna find the time to hunt with your old team? It's not the same in camp without ya, Gary, we actually get some peace! :wink: :biggrin:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Gringa Bows

#29 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:03 pm

:lol: :mrgreen:

Nutgrass

#30 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Nephew wrote:Dunno how I missed this until now! Onya boys, especially you, Nuts! :biggrin: Good to see, now when are ya gunna find the time to hunt with your old team? It's not the same in camp without ya, Gary, we actually get some peace! :wink: :biggrin:
September my waskilly wilittle fwend. 8) you will have to hold out until then :wink:

Ahhh yer, I think I a, suppose to thank you some where here :wink: :lol:

Just put the swag away after airing out trying to get the smoke smell out of it & caught a glimpse of me horns ........ :shock: they still look impressive to me :biggrin: