Another weekend away

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Another weekend away

#1 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:49 am

Here are some pics of the my latest trip away, Jeffro unfortunately could not make it due to work commitments so Tex got a short notice call and agreed to tag along.
We arrived at the property at 7.30am and quickly unpacked, sharpened some broadheads and headed off into the bush for some mid morning hunting. Not long into the walk Tex spotted a fox and tried a subtle whistle and while grabbing the fox's attention it seemed disinterested as they do at this time of year. Another fox was spotted 50m off a short time later but he also was interested in other things.
Walking for another 10 minutes saw us flush our first mob of pigs from the Bracken fern and this put us on high alert.
Looking across the valley I spotted a group of black shapes and a quick glass confirmed that they were indeed a mob of 15 or so pigs. Tex didn't believe that they were pigs and couldn't make them out with his cheap binos, being so used to seeing few pigs at other properties I had to lend him my bino's to get him to return to the side of the valley that we had just come from :biggrin: .
We planned a stalk putting the prevailing wind in our favour and planned to approach from above and below to see if we both could get a shot. There were some good Boars in the mob but they were surrounded by smaller pigs so we were forced to choose a pig each on the fringes of the mob. Both Tex and I executed successful shots and grassed our first 2 for the trip. I dont have Marks photo's so they will be added later.
100_4273.JPG
100_4273.JPG (89.98 KiB) Viewed 5019 times

Nutgrass

Re: Another weekend away

#2 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:52 am

Great stuff 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:53 am

After the action and being so close to camp we decided to return to the shed for lunch. There were plenty of Billy goats hassling nannies everywhere you looked so we snapped off some pics.
100_4275.JPG
100_4275.JPG (72.23 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
100_4277.JPG
100_4277.JPG (59.58 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
100_4278.JPG
100_4278.JPG (60.17 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
Last edited by longbow steve on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 am

Excellent Steve, keep it coming. :biggrin:

Jeff

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:05 am

The afternoon saw us hike for 5 klm with an opportunity on a good mob of pigs but Mark shot over the top and sent them semi spooked a few hundred meters away. We both decided with the failing light and the long hike back that it would be better to let them settle and try to find them the next morning.
The sun was soon below the horizon and we were still a kilometer from camp when we were both startled by something moving on the track ahead :shock: . Mark had sensibly packed a torch and shone it on the unidentified creature that was rolling around on the track. It turned out to be 2 fox doing what they will at this time of year and they seemed unperturbed by the presence of 2 armed hunters :smile: . I decided I would try my luck at the fast moving ball of love but after sending one arrow into the rocks in a shower of sparks I decided that they weren't worth $40 worth of arrows and we stepped over them and went on our way :lol: .
We spent the night by the roaring fire before retiring to bed to get a good sleep for the next days action.
100_4284.JPG
100_4284.JPG (57.87 KiB) Viewed 5013 times

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 am

The next morning we awoke to a massive frost, well atleast Tex did and I waited in my -7 deg rated sleeping bag for the fire to be stoked to a decent level before arising :biggrin: (as I do). Tex made a nice milk coffee for us both as a way of thanks for letting him play with the fire and after a few warm up shots on the 3d Boar target we head back out.
Within a few hundred meters I had spotted some pigs and planned a stalk taking into account there was a changeable cross wind occurring due to the sunrise pushing a thermal into the prevailing wind.
I was at 200m from my target when to my left I found 2 small Boars feeding away at 20 meters. I nocked an arrow and moved in but one of the Boars knew some thing was amiss. The alert Boar which was also they closest was doing the old dummy feed then stare down trick but I stood still and hoped the wind would remain on it's current course. The alert Boar moved towards it mate and into an open section of grass allowing me a clear view of his vitals. The shot was good, taking out his heart and dropping him within 5 meters 8) .
100_4314.JPG
100_4314.JPG (83.11 KiB) Viewed 5010 times
100_4316.JPG
100_4316.JPG (107.67 KiB) Viewed 5010 times

flyne

#7 Post by flyne » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:24 am

Great story so far Steve keep it coming
Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:28 am

While I was taking photos of the above Boar, Mark was walking the hill below me and soon found a group of pigs and effected a stalk. I caught up to him and watched from above as he sent another arrow harmlessly over the top of a pig and sent them scattering and a good rate of knots. Marked hasn't shot for a good number of months and so despite cramming in the practice the week before and around camp he was a bit rusty :smile:.
Mark and I walked off together deciding to try to track the mob from the night before. Along the way we spooked a nanny that was bed down and found her sleeping partner who despite us talking and taking photos remained asleep and dreaming :smile:
100_4317.JPG
100_4317.JPG (119.61 KiB) Viewed 5008 times

longbow steve

#9 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 am

Despite being after 10 am things were still frozen and in the shade the frost was still thick. This is a frozen pig wallow
100_4319.JPG
100_4319.JPG (91.07 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
The cool was welcome however when as you soon heat up climbing up the hills.
Along the track I spotted a fox heading away from us and knelt down and squeeked to him and unlike the others this one came rushing in to investigate. I had the bow canted to prevent the lower limb from hitting the ground and shot to the right of course and sent him on his way :oops:. I will get a fox one day :biggrin: .

longbow steve

#10 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 am

We found the group of pigs that Mark had spooked earlier and I managed to get a small one from the mob with a 5 meter shot.
100_4321.JPG
100_4321.JPG (90.01 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
Although spotting more pigs that day we didn't get any more chances but enjoyed the exercise and the crystal clear day.
We packed up and thanked the property owner and head off along the driveway and were greeted with one last mob of 20 large pigs to wet our whistle for the next trip.
Thanks Steve

TomMcDonald

#11 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:00 am

Amazing stuff guys. Keep it up.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 am

great read, thanks for posting.......maybe Tex needs glasses.

Kevin.
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:04 pm

What a top weekend! Thanks for taking us along. I hope Mark posts up his photos also.
longbow steve wrote:The next morning we awoke to a massive frost, well atleast Tex did and I waited in my -7 deg rated sleeping bag for the fire to be stoked to a decent level before arising (as I do). Tex made a nice milk coffee for us both as a way of thanks for letting him play with the fire
We have a hunt coming up so I hope Nephew, LB Rod and Nutgrass take note of that. 8) :lol:

Jeff

longbow steve

#14 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks Guys.
longbowinfected wrote:great read, thanks for posting.......maybe Tex needs glasses.

Kevin.
Perhaps he does :lol: , I was just being polite about his missed shots :lol:
Stickbow Hunter wrote:What a top weekend! Thanks for taking us along. I hope Mark posts up his photos also.
longbow steve wrote:The next morning we awoke to a massive frost, well atleast Tex did and I waited in my -7 deg rated sleeping bag for the fire to be stoked to a decent level before arising (as I do). Tex made a nice milk coffee for us both as a way of thanks for letting him play with the fire
We have a hunt coming up so I hope Nephew, LB Rod and Nutgrass take note of that. 8) :lol:

Jeff
Maybe send them a group email as it makes a huge difference to your trip having someone wait hand and foot on you :lol: 8)

longbow steve

#15 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:27 pm

flyne wrote:Great story so far Steve keep it coming
Jim
Thanks Jim, do you want your Black Swan back :smile: ? Thanks for the bargain, it is a fun bow except it misses fox as good as any bow I have owned. Cheers Steve

Jeffro

#16 Post by Jeffro » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:52 pm

[quote="longbow steve"] I waited in my -7 deg rated sleeping bag for the fire to be stoked to a decent level before arising :biggrin: (as I do)[quote]

We'll have to put a stop to that :confused:

well done Steve and Tex another great hunt for sure im hanging out bad for next month now.

Jeff

hazard

#17 Post by hazard » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:22 pm

Top story Steve great pictures, great effort guys :biggrin:

You never fail to deliver a great hunting post!

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Guy Layton

#18 Post by Guy Layton » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Nice work Steve... Looks like a top weekend was had by all...! I knew it was going to a little chilly, but not that chilly... :surprised:

I like the picture of the nanny sleeping..... if she was dreaming, she looks like it was a good one...! :lol:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

TEX

#19 Post by TEX » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:07 am

No Kevin
I dont need glasses, I could see quite clearly that I missed. I just need shorter legs or taller pigs.

longbow steve

#20 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:41 am

Jeffro wrote:
longbow steve wrote: I waited in my -7 deg rated sleeping bag for the fire to be stoked to a decent level before arising :biggrin: (as I do)

We'll have to put a stop to that :confused:

well done Steve and Tex another great hunt for sure im hanging out bad for next month now.

Jeff
I am not getting up at 4 am unless you tell me there are Deer at the back door :smile: .
hazard wrote:Top story Steve great pictures, great effort guys :biggrin:

You never fail to deliver a great hunting post!

Hazard
Thanks Graydon.
Guy Layton wrote:Nice work Steve... Looks like a top weekend was had by all...! I knew it was going to a little chilly, but not that chilly... :surprised:

I like the picture of the nanny sleeping..... if she was dreaming, she looks like it was a good one...! :lol:

Cheers Guy
Yeah it was a big frost but the days were fantastic, makes the cold worthwhile.

longbow steve

#21 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:41 am

TEX wrote:No Kevin
I dont need glasses, I could see quite clearly that I missed. I just need shorter legs or taller pigs.
:lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#22 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:10 pm

TEX wrote:No Kevin
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, where are your photos? :mrgreen:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#23 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Looks like it was a good trip guys....................Jeff,i guess i could share Nutgrass and Nephew with you :shock: and remember you're all younger then me so respect your elders :surprised: :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:36 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Jeff,i guess i could share Nutgrass and Nephew with you and remember you're all younger then me so respect your elders
:lol:

Jeff

longbowinfected

#25 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Stevo.........you seem to have mellowed. Normally you will not get out of your swag unless someone hands you toast and brewed coffee OR someone moves your van 100 metres.

These guys are not looking after you matey.......I'd trade them in. at least Tex is letting you shoot all the beasties.

Tex, with your luck someone will give your targets pogo sticks.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

bigbob

#26 Post by bigbob » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:19 pm

I find it very hard to comment on others hunting exploits as my own are non existent these days and likely to remain so, but seeing all that ice at least gave me some malicious pleasure that at least you all suffered a little for your fun! :wink: :smile: :biggrin: :lol: :mrgreen:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

TEX

#27 Post by TEX » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Sorry guys I can't down load the photos. I can only use my phone for the Internet. Waiting for our Internet to be set up.

Nephew

#28 Post by Nephew » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:What a top weekend! Thanks for taking us along. I hope Mark posts up his photos also.

Jeff
We have mate, and will be eagerly anticipating that milk coffee as we lay in our beds! :wink: :biggrin:

Thanks for the story and pics, Steve, looks like you and ol' Tex had a great time! Love the shot of the sleeping nanny, and I really like that 44gal drum fireplace!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

flyne

#29 Post by flyne » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:38 pm

longbow steve wrote:
Jim
Thanks Jim, do you want your Black Swan back :smile: ? Thanks for the bargain, it is a fun bow except it misses fox as good as any bow I have owned. Cheers Steve
Steve I'd love it back but I think with the 3 bows I brought wile she was in labour I'd be shot if another one turned up on the door step lol u could always lend it to me untill I shoot a fox with it just to get the moz of it for you :biggrin:
Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

longbow steve

#30 Post by longbow steve » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 am

flyne wrote:
longbow steve wrote:
Jim
Steve I'd love it back but I think with the 3 bows I brought wile she was in labour I'd be shot if another one turned up on the door step lol u could always lend it to me untill I shoot a fox with it just to get the moz of it for you :biggrin:
Jim
Thanks Jim, I will send all of my bows down as they all seem affected :lol: .
How did you by 3 bows while she was in labour :surprised: ? Cheers Steve