First hunt for the year

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Jeffro

First hunt for the year

#1 Post by Jeffro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:33 pm

2.30 AM sat morning my alarm went off and with the ute packed I left for a hunting weekend .
Aswell as my recurve I also had a new 17HMR Browning T bolt with me this time in order to thin out the rabbit population on this place.I planned to skin and gut them and put them in the chest freezer to keep for dog food.Pretty impressed with it actually it stops rabbits immediately where as with a 22 quite often they make it to the burrow after you hit them but the 17 really knocks them over.
After arriving I unpacked and got ready for a walk as quick as i could .It was still pretty early and hopefully there would be some pigs still out and about.
Within 15 minutes of walking there were a good 10 or so just into the tree line on the hill,I was walking from the top down and it is long grass for the first 300 metres then you hit the trees.
The pigs were on the way down the hill so I followed along until they got to the creek where they all went into this reedy stuff.
There was a log that went into it and after quietly getting on the log I could hear a few moving around not far away.Trouble was I couldn't see them let alone pick out a good one.
Then with the stalks moving around I could see one was about to come into the clear and I shot this young one from the end of this log.
It didnt go far at all and it sounded like the arrow smashed through both shoulders.The commotion caused the rest of them to flee.
I got its back legs off had a bit more of a look around and then went back to the shed for a beer with the farmer.

bigbob

Re: First hunt for the year

#2 Post by bigbob » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Well done, any pig on the ground is a good one.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Guy Layton

#3 Post by Guy Layton » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi Jeffro,

Top work mate...! Its great to see some hunting posts back up again... Good start to the year for you... :biggrin:

Are you chasing any deer this rut...?

I hope to have an adventure to tell late next week...! :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy...
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Gilly

#4 Post by Gilly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Guy Layton wrote:Hi Jeffro,

Top work mate...! Its great to see some hunting posts back up again... Good start to the year for you... :biggrin:

Are you chasing any deer this rut...?

I hope to have an adventure to tell late next week...! :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy...
Where are you going for this adventure Guy???
Looking forward to some more good pics!

Jeffro

#5 Post by Jeffro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Day 2 and I went to the other side where the deer usually are.
Where I parked the car there is a pig trap and it had a few in it.
On the way down I see a dog of some sort about 80 metres away and on closer inspection with the binoculars i see its a fox.
There was a big tree right next to me and I took off my camelback and got out the button whistle,one of the half penny variety.Then positoned myself up against the tree.
With arrow ready and bow up I began the whistling but the fox would only look in the direction.Then I tried the kissing sound and that got him interested.
It would go a few metres and stop and eventually it was about 10 metres in front looking right at me.There was no trees or any cover to use to draw back if it went behind something so I drew back slowly hoping not to alert it to any movement but my elbow hit the tree and I had to lean forward a bit.
Took the shot and at this point the fox was sitting in the classic 3d sitting fox target position.the arrow went over its head and it turned round to look at the ground where the arrow went.
That allowed me to unclip another on off the quiver and it turned back to look in my direction.
I was amazed it was still there to be honest and I gradually edged the arrow forward on the rest until I could clip it onto the string.
It began to walk to my right and at about 5 metres I carefully as possible drew back again.It was alerted to some movement but it was too late.Hitting it just behing the front leg it ran about 20 metres and fell over.

I have a small plastic screw in adaptor for a camera that Dennis Barden sent me.It slots in the top of a carbon and you can use your arrow as a camera stand.I had not recovered my arrows from the fox shots yet and had to remove the broadhead off an unfired one because it would be blunted by sticking it into the ground.That meant propping the arrow up with some rocks because if I stuck it into the dirt without a head on it there would be dirt in the thread.
Anyway in the process of picking up rocks I found this scorpion under one
Last edited by Jeffro on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Cool Jeff 8) , I am jealous. Steve

Jeffro

#7 Post by Jeffro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Cheers Bob, Guy And Steve.
Ill look forward to that story Guy.Are we still gonna try and get that hunt we were talking about organised this year?

That night the 17 fed all the dogs on the farm.
Heres a few of them.
There was a few black ones too.

Jeffro

#8 Post by Jeffro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 pm

I found this scrape on a tree.It looks like it was made by a pig some good tusk marks.

Then this morning I went for another walk and came across a lot of shredded bark on the ground.I thought this might be from a wombat.
The bark was in strips and scattered a good 5 metre radius in front of the tree and the whole side of the tree had a strip kind of ripped off it for at leat 10 metres high.
The only thing I could think of is that maybe it got hit by lightning?

20 minutes or so later I got this fella.This pig was hit that good that it couldnt speak from the impact.It took 2 wobbly steps and that was it.
Must have got both lungs and heart I reckon

hazard

#9 Post by hazard » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:45 pm

How awesome is that :biggrin: Well done mate, The pickies are great and I love the Camera stand Idea.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

flyne

#10 Post by flyne » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Looks like a nice spot for a strol and nice shooting jeffro
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Great to see you gettin' out for a hunt. I have a few months to wait before I can get out. Congrats on the pigs and on getting the fox - top stuff!!! Great photos too; thanks.

Jeff

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 am

Well done Jeffro. Few unlucky beasts went for a walk and bumped into you.

You buying factory loads or reloading your own for the 0.17? I love them and 0.223 as great value for money rounds that are pretty versatile.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

looseplucker

#13 Post by looseplucker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Nice work. Some pleasant looking country out that way.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Keith Lee

#14 Post by Keith Lee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Well done Jeffo looks like you had a good weekend.

TomMcDonald

#15 Post by TomMcDonald » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:17 pm

Great work mate.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Nephew

#16 Post by Nephew » Sat May 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Wicked, Jeffro! Looks like you had a great old time, mate! How's that scorpion?? :shock: They really give me the creeps, even more than spiders! Brrrrr!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!