First Trad Rabbit and a couple of Pigs

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

First Trad Rabbit and a couple of Pigs

#1 Post by longbow steve » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:55 am

Sitting here watching the rain fall, thinking about getting out in the bush with my bow again I remembered I hadn't shared some pics from last year.
It was our first trip to a new property and arriving at around midday we shook hands with the property owners and geared up for a wander. The first walk was uneventful with a few goats sighted and a couple of hills climbed but upon returning to the shearing quarters getting on to late afternoon the scattering of rabbits caught my eye. I left Jeffro to talk to the property owner whilst I snuck off to have a crack at the bunnies at the back of the shearing shed. The grass was long making it difficult to spot them but also made it easier to cover ground and or conceal my presence. I managed to draw on a couple of loners but my movement gave me up and the tell tale stomping of feet meant that each time you were spotted you had to wait for 5 minutes for the bunnies to re surface.
The light was fading fast but this became an advantage for me as I was to discover. I spotted to bunnies feeding in front of a fallen log at 30 meters on the outside of the sheep holding yard and brought my bow up with my fingers already on the string. Now 30 meters on a rabbit is a tough ask but what did I have to lose except an arrow :smile: . I drew back to anchor and had time to hold at full draw and judge the gap as I have done many times before on the field range. The rabbit stood there staring in my direction knowing something was up but with the sun low in the sky and my silhouette unclear he remained complacent. I loosed the arrow and struck him in the middle of the body, preventing him from retreating to the nearest burrow. I quickly ended his life and wandered back to the shed where Jeffro was still chatting. I recall the property owner showing surprise when I walked around the corner with a longbow in one hand and a rabbit in the other :smile: . Steve
100_3657.JPG
100_3657.JPG (54.38 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
100_3655.JPG
100_3655.JPG (72.64 KiB) Viewed 3698 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: First Trad Rabbit and a couple of Pigs

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Congrats on the bunny mate!!! They sure are a ton of fun to hunt. I like the photos as your smile says a lot in the first one and the second is well set up. :biggrin:

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:19 pm

I am pretty sure these pigs were on the same trip.
The next day Jeff and I wandered into one of the deep valleys, checking out the terrain and scouring the hillsides for fresh looking sign. I recall that other than goat sightings we hadn't seen much at all.
Jeff called me on the two way to tell me he was returning to the shed for lunch so I decided to do the same. I followed a track which I thought was the one that we came in on but just when I was questioning it's familiarity I spotted 2 pigs feeding 40 meters away. I got on the radio to Jeff to let him know I was going to have a stalk and turned the radio down.
I closed the gap as the pigs had their heads down feeding and got into about 25 meters when the pigs entered the long grass. I could now quickly close the gap. I looked into the long grass where they entered and could not see them so I skirted around the edge for a few meters and spotted a dark mass. At first I thought I was looking at a shadow but then made out hair on the body of the pig. I made sure I knew which way the pig was facing and delivered an arrow from 5 meters. With a bit of noise it was all over but the ruckus cause the other pig to burst out of the long grass and stop broadside to me at 12 meters. Well I already had an arrow on the string for a follow up if need be on the first pigs so I said what would Jeffro do and sent the second arrow sailing in the direction of the broadside pig. The arrow passed right through a little far back I thought but he ran and went down no more than 10 meters away.
I pulled the first pig out(a sow) then wandered down to find the other. He had expired where he had dropped 10 meters away from the impact and the frothy blood on his side told me I had just hit both lungs at the rear of their extremity but I was grateful it had been so effective.
I got on the radio and told Jeff i had got the two I was stalking and he asked if I could bring back some meat for Diesel the kelpie.
100_3672.JPG
100_3672.JPG (80.28 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
100_3673.JPG
100_3673.JPG (98.4 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:22 pm

At this stage I was 3 animals up on Jeff(unprecedented) so he turned to the bottle and went a bit soft and started cuddling things :lol:It was almost a year ago but thats how I remember it :biggrin:
100_3660.JPG
100_3660.JPG (43.9 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
100_3662.JPG
100_3662.JPG (38.64 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
100_3665.JPG
100_3665.JPG (98.71 KiB) Viewed 3692 times

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Congrats on the bunny mate!!! They sure are a ton of fun to hunt. I like the photos as your smile says a lot in the first one and the second is well set up. :biggrin:
Thanks Jeff.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Congrats on the pigs as well. That looks nice country to be hunting in. Good write up and photos, thanks.

Jeff

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Good stuff, Steve! Looks a good time to me, Bud. :biggrin: Is that a Horne combo hunter with the longbow limbs you're using? Nice bows! I almost bought one once but couldn't raise the funds in time.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks Craig, Yeah we always have a good time, makes me laugh just thinking about some of our trips. The bow is a Kota take down, Ebony,cocobolo riser with yew/bamboo and carbon limbs. 53#@28.
Steve

hazard

#9 Post by hazard » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Your pretty good mate, always one of the top runners up at Wisemans and always making a bow or out for a hunt complete with Pickies, Well done mate :biggrin: But Jeffro never fails to deliver, I bet he didn't miss out that trip :wink:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:44 am

Congrats on the trad kills Steve,i've gotta get me a longbow wabbit one day :biggrin:

longbow steve

#11 Post by longbow steve » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:29 am

hazard wrote:Your pretty good mate, always one of the top runners up at Wisemans and always making a bow or out for a hunt complete with Pickies, Well done mate :biggrin: But Jeffro never fails to deliver, I bet he didn't miss out that trip :wink:

Hazard
Thanks Graydon, Yeah Jeff didn't miss out in fact the next day he caught me up :lol: .
LB rod 55 wrote:Congrats on the trad kills Steve,i've gotta get me a longbow wabbit one day :biggrin:
Yeah Rod, I almost had a selfbow rabbit aswell, missed by an inch :smile:

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:31 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Congrats on the pigs as well. That looks nice country to be hunting in. Good write up and photos, thanks.

Jeff
Yes Jeff, it is a nice area to hunt. Steve

Jeffro

#13 Post by Jeffro » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:25 am

Hey Steve, I have 2 more of you with that rabbit but yours are better photos.

That port bottle needed a flagon upgrade if you ask me.

We will be back there soon mate check if you can get 2nd weekend of april

good write up

Keith Lee

#14 Post by Keith Lee » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Ya one more rabbit then i've got healthie looking pigs Steve well done.

Guy Layton

#15 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Steve,

Nice work mate... 8)

Cheers Guy... :biggrin:

PS. I always knew Jeff had a soft side to him.... :lol:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

longbowinfected

#16 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:57 am

Nice work. With reference to all things soft and cuddly I hope that other than the kelpie you were referring to the fact that both your Mums wash your camp ing clothes in Cuddly.I take it neither of you shoot with pink gear yet. I reckon Maroon arrows with white fletches would be the go.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.