Recurve On The River.

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Macca

Recurve On The River.

#1 Post by Macca » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:24 pm

It all started back in October 2011; I purchased my first 50lb single piece recurve. I started shooting it and loved it so I thought I would look at getting a takedown. The next thing I did was I got hold of a copy of Darren’s DVD, “Another Boaring Week” and I was hooked. I was due to head up to the Gulf the following month in December for a hunting trip.

The plan was to do my trip with the compound, return and concentrate on the recurve. I was not new to bowhunting as I had been hunting with the bow since 1991. The Gulf trip was completed with a few good pigs taken, the compound was then put into the cupboard and my journey started. I started to practice every day after work religiously.
Practice.JPG
Practice.JPG (195.9 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
My first goal was to do a kayak trip with the recurve and take a few goats. I set a date and I was on route to my goat property where I had been going for the last 10 or so years. There would be three of us going this trip for a quick 3 dayer. We arrived at our destination after calling into the local and picking up a couple of slabs of coldies.
Decent.1.jpg
Decent.1.jpg (119.85 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
River.jpg
River.jpg (146.3 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
After unpacking the Ute I quickly assembled the Bear takedown and flung a few arrows. I was keen to hit the river and get onto a few goats. After a short paddle I parked the kayak up and ventured to a high point to glass, after glassing the surrounding area I failed to sight any critters. The afternoon began to fade so I headed back to camp, upon arrival back at camp I decided to grab a few beers and sit down at the water and throw a line in. The three of us managed to catch a few carp before the sun set.
Carp.JPG
Carp.JPG (143.9 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
A few coldies were had that night and a plan was set for the following day. The following morning we set out and after paddling for a while I spotted some goats on the spur line above us. A quick check of the wind and the stalk was on. Young Max was up first, after guiding him to about 20 I motioned for him to draw and shoot. The arrow was away and the Easton Powerflight tipped with an Outback Surpreme found its mark entering the small Billy broadside. The Billy expired quickly; I indicated to Max that there was a Billy about 100m further up the hill. We stayed on the right side of the spur line; I edged my way across the spur until I spotted the Billy. He was about 25m away; I ducked down and edged my way closer. I was now at 15m, I watched as he turned broadside. At this point I was in a crouched position, I drew my bow. Rising slowly now at full draw and anchored, I released, the arrow was away. The timbered shaft tipped with a Ribtek struck the Billy perfectly. The Billy expired very quickly, I was over the moon I had accomplished my first trad Billy.
First goat.JPG
First goat.JPG (159.31 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
TBC

Macca

Re: Recurve On The River.

#2 Post by Macca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 am

After the mandatory photos it was off with his head which I placed in the fork of a tree and would pick it up on the way back to the kayak. I walked to the top of the hill and sat and glassed for about 10 min which resulted in a number of goat sightings. I could not see any Billy’s so I thought I would find a young goat for dinner. There appeared to be a small mob of young goats about 1km to the West. A check of the wind indicated that it was up to its old tricks swirling all over the shop. About ten or twenty minutes later I was at 50m and devising an approach based on the wind and available cover.
Goats.jpg
Goats.jpg (184.62 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
I said to Max and Rob to switch the UHF radio on. I was going to drop down the saddle and come up on the goats so I could get the wind right. They were going to continue up the ridge line and hunt further to the North. I would get dinner and continue across another two ridgelines and meet up with them in a couple of hours. It sounded good in theory; I dropped down the saddle for about 200m and began to stalk in on the goats. I spotted a young black goat that looked like it would be good in the camp oven. I side saddled on my butt threw some long grass until I got into about 25m. The black goat presented on a quartering away shot, I drew back anchored and the timber shaft was on its way. The goat immediately ran down hill. I walked down into the gully and spotted blood.
Blood.JPG
Blood.JPG (193.82 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
A short tracking job and I spotted him. I had dinner on the ground.
Dinner.JPG
Dinner.JPG (152.53 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
After taking the back straps and a rear leg I began the steep walk to the top of the ridge. No sooner had I packed the meat into my Camelback I spotted another Billy. I used the lay of the gully to approach to about 20m, drew anchored for a couple of seconds and the arrow found its mark behind the Billy’s shoulder. He went down without a fuss. I quickly set my camera up on the tripod only to have flat batteries.

TBC

wahcat

#3 Post by wahcat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:35 am

Great read Macca.

UPTHETOP

#4 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:26 am

Macca congradulations on your first Trad billy mate. It is a great way to start the Trad journey.
Nice recurve as well, hope its the first story of many to come.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

flyne

#5 Post by flyne » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 am

Top stuff m8
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Nutgrass

#6 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:17 am

Great stuff mate. Looks like some great country to hunt. Hunting from the kayak would make for a fun experience 8)

Congrats on your first & following trad success 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:18 am

Good story,congrats on the goats ,

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 am

Yeah looks like fun Macca. Congrats!
Good on yah for ridding the river of some Carp. Steve

Nutgrass

#9 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:46 am

Looks like Rover is trying to catch the arrows as they come out :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Macca

#10 Post by Macca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 am

I thought oh well ya get that on occasions. I had two Billy’s on the ground plus a meat goat for dinner. I made my way up ridge until I reached the top. The weather was very hot I would say mid 30’s and I was getting the water into me. I had 3L in my camelback bladder + a backup 1L bladder so I could guzzle a bit on the hard sections of the hunt. Fitness was not an issue as I had been doing a fair bit of jogging of late. I finally reached the top of the ridge and sat down to glass the country to the Northwest. It wasn’t long before I sighted a few goats but I was going to catch up with the boys. A quick call on the UHF radio and I had their location, so I made my way to them. About 50min later I reached them, they were looking at a large mob of goats directly underneath them about 200m down in a very steep shale gully. A number of goats moved into the timber and a plan was hatched.
Goats.2.JPG
Goats.2.JPG (156.55 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
I was going to sit back and watch the action; it was Robs turn to take one. He ranged the Billy 52m away, drew back and the arrow a Carbon Express Piledriver tipped with a 220g Outback FE broadhead was away. The hit was a good one and the Billy was down. I told the boys I would make my way back down the spur to pick up my other head meeting them back at the Kayaks. A short time later I was back at the yaks loading my heads on the yak and we headed for camp.
Paddle.back.JPG
Paddle.back.JPG (110.01 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
Back at camp I boiled the heads out, I don’t usually take the smaller heads but they were the start of my recurve collection.
Boilup.JPG
Boilup.JPG (165.38 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
A few beers were had again back down at the river with another pile of carp laid out on the bank for the pigs. I wondered what the following day would bring.

TBC.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Macca, what a great story and excellent photos!!!

You certainly have some beautiful looking country there to hunt in yet i'm sure those hills would be very taxing on the body. A big congrats on your first Trad kills and for putting in the effort to learn to shoot Trad gear - and very well it seems. :biggrin: Say congrats to your mates on their kills also.

Those carp really are a disaster for our water ways; good onya for doing away with so many.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your trip with us.

Jeff

jindydiver

#12 Post by jindydiver » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Looks like great fun :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Macca

#13 Post by Macca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:46 pm

The following day was not an early start, mmm a few too many coldies as we do. The plan was to take a casual paddle and see what we could come up with. I was not to concerned if I did not get on to anything for the day, I was just happy to wander the hills and take it all in. It would be a quick hunt because I had planned to break camp around lunch time and head home. It was a fairly quiet morning and after paddling for a while we parked the yaks up. I split from the other boys and headed in another direction I walked parallel with the river for a while and almost stepped on this feller. He was 6ft + and scared the yeh out of me.
Snake.jpg
Snake.jpg (181.37 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
A hard slog up the ridge and I was at the top of a large hill, it was steep and covered in loose shale. I got to the top and sat down to glass the surrounding hills. I spotted a number of mobs in the distance but was content to take in the view and reflect on the last couple of days.

There something special about hunting goats in the hills and I rate it up there with my number one species pigs. I keep coming back to the goats and over the years I have bowshot hundreds of them. The first Billy I had taken this trip really was special even after hundreds of them with the compound. I speak with people all the time about hunting and they say why do you do it. I try to explain that the kill is way down on the list. I believe it is the whole experience along the way, from the preparation to the harvest and that may entail a fitness schedule, archery practice, gear research, bow tuning, map study and food preparation for the backpack hunts, the list is endless. I am a self confessed gear junky and love playing with new gear.

I call it bowhunting but my wife calls it an obsession that I am passionate about.
The Stalk.jpg
The Stalk.jpg (146.6 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
Stay safe out there and thanks for reading my story.

Cheers Macca.

hazard

#14 Post by hazard » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Macca
That was awesome! Pickies, story, the stalk and the comparison to the difference of the dark side. Even the Missus complaining about the obsesion :shock:

Another testimonial preaising "Trad" to the dark side of the forceand the satisfaction it has to offer. Though getting out the compound out every now and then , man what a difference :mrgreen:

What beautifull scenery that water looks quite clean, did you try cooking any of the Carp?

Hazard

P.s do you wanna buy a cheap compound? :wink:
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Macca

#15 Post by Macca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Nutgrass wrote:
Looks like Rover is trying to catch the arrows as they come out :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Nutgrass she would like to catch them but lucky she cannot. As soon as she sees a bow she goes nuts.
hazard wrote:Macca
That was awesome! Pickies, story, the stalk and the comparison to the difference of the dark side. Even the Missus complaining about the obsesion :shock:

Another testimonial preaising "Trad" to the dark side of the forceand the satisfaction it has to offer. Though getting out the compound out every now and then , man what a difference :mrgreen:

What beautifull scenery that water looks quite clean, did you try cooking any of the Carp?

Hazard

P.s do you wanna buy a cheap compound? :wink:
Hazard never tried eating carp and I dont think I will. I am lucky I have a bit of land so I practice nearly every day sometimes morning and afternoon. I still like shooting my compound and do so once or twice a week, but I have the recurve bug now. I suppose it's like having two girlfriends ha ha :lol: .

The transition to the recurve has been smooth just a slightly modified strategy now when hunting.

Cheers Macca.

Macca

#16 Post by Macca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Macca, what a great story and excellent photos!!!

You certainly have some beautiful looking country there to hunt in yet i'm sure those hills would be very taxing on the body. A big congrats on your first Trad kills and for putting in the effort to learn to shoot Trad gear - and very well it seems. :biggrin: Say congrats to your mates on their kills also.

Those carp really are a disaster for our water ways; good onya for doing away with so many.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your trip with us.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, its a great place to hunt and only a few hours from home. The country is pretty steep and the photos don't show that. I have taken a few new hunters there over the years and with some I thought we may need to medivac them out. You need a bit of condition otherwise it becomes more work than fun, throw in some high 30 temps with the hills and its tough.

The carp are great fun but yes they are a disaster for the waterway.

The boys also took a couple of goats but the recurve put the food on the table on this trip.

Cheers Macca.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey Macca, what type of snake is that a Red Belly Black? Yeah I think those hills would be too good for this Ol' Bloke. :lol:

Jeff

Macca

#18 Post by Macca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Hey Macca, what type of snake is that a Red Belly Black? Yeah I think those hills would be too good for this Ol' Bloke. :lol:

Jeff
Jeff the snake is a Red Belly and the biggest one I have seen in that country. You mainly cross paths with browns up that way.
Spear Chucker wrote:Excellent read and pictures Macca you are flying mate with the trad gear and it's only just begun.

Well done again mate look forward to the next adventure.

Darren
Thanks mate, really enjoying the curve feels very natural, I am keen to spear a few critters with the new arrow set up. So I will be away in a couple of weeks to test them out.

Cheers Macca.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Macca wrote:Jeff the snake is a Red Belly and the biggest one I have seen in that country. You mainly cross paths with browns up that way.
Yeah he was a good size and in good nick alright. I rather not cross paths with any of them. :lol:

Jeff

rodlonq

#20 Post by rodlonq » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 am

Great write up and pictures Macca, thanks for sharing .

Cheers....... Rod

Jeffro

#21 Post by Jeffro » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:56 am

Well done Macca,its extra special when your using trad gear hey?
looks like tiger paw country

Nephew

#22 Post by Nephew » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Excellent Macca! Great story, great pics, and looks and reads like you had a cracker of a time! Doesn't get much better. Love the idea of using the kayaks! :biggrin:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

memo

#23 Post by memo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:41 am

Well one Macca,
Nice write up and pics, sounds like a great trip away - Fishing, hunting and a few mates.... Perfect!
Well done on the first trad kills,
Memo.

Macca

#24 Post by Macca » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:10 am

Moreton wrote:Excellent Macca! Great story, great pics, and looks and reads like you had a cracker of a time! Doesn't get much better. Love the idea of using the kayaks! :biggrin:
Moreton using the kayaks is great fun. You just have to paddle at a comfortable pace otherwise when it's crunch time it's difficult to shoot due to fatigue. I love hunting goats through that river country. If you get a chance to hunt, spot and stalk from a kayak do it.

Cheers Macca.

Guy Layton

#25 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:24 am

Nice work Macca...!

The kayaks would have created a great element to your hunt... :biggrin:

By the way.... How did the carp taste...?

Cheers Guy.. :biggrin:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Macca

#26 Post by Macca » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Guy Layton wrote:Nice work Macca...!

The kayaks would have created a great element to your hunt... :biggrin:

By the way.... How did the carp taste...?

Cheers Guy.. :biggrin:

Thanks Guy, kayak hunts are good. As far as what the carp taste like, not sure, never had them. I would imagine the pigs would have liked them.

Cheers.

Guy Layton

#27 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Macca,

I cant imagine anyone or anything enjoying Carp as a meal... :lol:

I have heard that some people soak them in milk prior to cooking.... :shock:

Cheers Guy..
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

hazard

#28 Post by hazard » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:04 pm

The Carp I have tasted was not all that bad. I grilled it with butter and onions. There were a Gazillion bones but other than that not all that bad.

I smoked one but it was terrible :shock:

I got mine from a very muddy creek but it didn't have a muddy taste :confused:

I am interested to know anyone else who has tried them because I am told by everyone they taste muddy but no one who has told me this has ever tried them.

I really didn't like the bones though but in a survival situation I reckon they are fair game. But I would fillet them and then fry them in butter and onions. :wink:

Hazard
Last edited by hazard on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy Layton

#29 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:07 pm

hazard wrote: I smoked one but it was terrible :shock:

Hazard

Graydon..... :surprised: how did you dry it out before rolling it...???? :lol:

Cheers Guy

hazard

#30 Post by hazard » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Guy Layton wrote:
hazard wrote: I smoked one but it was terrible :shock:

Hazard

Graydon..... :surprised: how did you dry it out before rolling it...???? :lol:

Cheers Guy
It flipped about when I put the flame to its tail :shock:

:lol: :lol: