This year it has to happen..wanna come down under, need help

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

g_r

This year it has to happen..wanna come down under, need help

#1 Post by g_r » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:45 pm

I ve planned to come to Australia for a long time now...
but things never worked out so far, first an internship i should get was cancelled, then University wouldnt let me go, after that money was scarce and work plenty and then a severe illness in my family didnt allow me to go.
I think if i dont make it happen this year i never will.... :roll:

And thats why i gotta make it happen, and therefore i like to start with my planning and gathering of information (wich i hope to get from you :wink:) for being able to scrape the money together and making ends meet.

Background:
I plan to make it in the time somewhere between September this year and January next year for 3 to 4 weeks.
I aint an experienced bowhunter but I am decent shot.

When would be a good time to come to Australia for hunting? I understand that depends on the region and game wich leads us to the next question:
Where to go?
I am not to keen on spending lots and lots of money on an outfitter, but i think it would be the most simple way to have access to hunting grounds. Id like to chase nothing special or trophy animals. Goats pigs foxes bunnys or whatever suits me fine, though i must say pigs or goats would be nicer than small game only. Btw. i shoot 63#@30" with 650grain arrows, i guess that should work.

How good is public transportation in such a big country as Australia? Im guessing renting a car would be better but wanted to ask anyways.

Where can i inform myself about all the poisones and dangerous critters you got there? You know, most poisonus round here means bees and wasps :roll: :lol:

I guess there will be alot more questions in the process, but its gotta start somewhere.

Thans Axel
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Dodger

Re: This year it has to happen..wanna come down under, need

#2 Post by Dodger » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:05 am

Axel,

Hope you get to hunt in Australia this year. I'd like to do the same and will keep a close eye on this thread.

Good luck and good hunting!

wayoutwest

#3 Post by wayoutwest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm

If you end up in Perth mate ill be happy to take you out for some goats free of charge.

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by kerry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:19 pm

if you happen to get Queensland i can get you on to goats pigs dogs foxes rabbits all free cheers
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Axel,

IMO you are probably best to avoid November through January as this is the hottest time of the year and also the wet season in the northern parts of the country where a lot of the good pig hunting is. Also December and January would be the busiest and most expensive times to travel because of Christmas and the New Year and our schools are on six weeks or so holidays during that time.

I think you will find car hire quite expensive so buses or trains may be a better option. Air travel is quite expensive within Australia but you can get some cheap flights between major centres. Of course once you have some idea on when you are likely to be out here I'm sure some of us can help with some free accommodation and no doubt with the hunting. :biggrin:

Just be aware that Australia is a BIG place and most Europeans we have had here Bowhunting with us are astonished with just how big the place is. :lol:

That will do for now.

Jeff

Dodger

#6 Post by Dodger » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Jeff,

Are April and May a good time to go hunting in QLD and the NT?

Thanks,

Rustam

Keith Lee

#7 Post by Keith Lee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Rustam the southen and westen parts of QLD are good at that time of year it's starting to cool down but up in the northen parts there is still a lot of water around.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Yeah Dodger, what Keith said. :biggrin:

Jeff

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:57 pm

Axel, Dr Sutherland has written books [Google search him] about our dangerous creatures but seriously other than crocodiles and sharks taking people if they do really stupid things in predictable ways and places I would be more worried about dying in motor vehicle accidents as that risk is much greater.

Not many creatures are going to harm you as you hunt if you keep your eyes open and go with a buddy. We do have plenty of European and German Vespid wasps. More problems about hydration / sunburn and other things.

Listen to Jeff....this is a big place. It takes a Jumbo jet 4 hours to fly across it east/west and around three hours to go south / north. We do not have closely linked public rail / bus systems as in Europe. Most travel here is by car. By way of example I travel 100 kilometres a day each way to go to work.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Dodger

#10 Post by Dodger » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks Keith and Jeff. What would be the best time of the year for these two states? Also, what's the fishing (inland and estuary) like then?

Cheers!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:32 am

Dodger wrote:What would be the best time of the year for these two states? Also, what's the fishing (inland and estuary) like then?
For hunting probably October as it will be dry (and hot) so this brings the game to whatever water is left. The biggest problem is you never know when the wet will start up there as when it does you don't want to be there. :biggrin:

I am not a fisherman but I believe the fishing is fine then also.

Jeff

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:38 am

Axel, Another thing to look at is where it is cheapest to fly into here in Australia - Brisbane, Sydney etc. Work out where you are going to be hunting and try and work it out with where to fly into.

Jeff

Dodger

#13 Post by Dodger » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks, Jeff.