Good week away Day 3,4 added

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

andy80

Good week away Day 3,4 added

#1 Post by andy80 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:01 pm

A couple good mates and I spent a week or so in the bush between Stanthorpe and a private property near the QLD, NSW border.

The week started with me knocking off night shift at 6am on the Friday morning and jumping straight in the Cruiser with the wife and kids and down to Brissie to pick up Glenn who had flown in from Weipa the day before, I was pretty knackered but the anticipation of what was ahead made it hard to sleep on the way down while the wife drove.

This was to be Glenn and My first trad hunt so I was super excited. I even made the tough decision to leave the wheely bow at home. I had been practicing hard with my new Raven TD recurve and really wanted to blood it.

I quickly dropped the wife and kids off at the outlaws and picked up Glenn before fueling the 80 up and hitting the road to Stanthorpe.

The plan was to get to Clint's place around mid arvo and fling a few arrows at Clint's target boar before having an early night and belting a few rabbits around Stanthorpe before heading south to hunt goats.

Everything went to plan and after a great feed and an even better sleep it was Saturday morning. We ripped into town to stock up on supplies before hitting the rabbit property.

Clint had worded us up that this was his favorite rabbit property and we certainly weren't disappointed. We had only walked 200 meters before Glenn was stalking a fat bunny sunning himself near his burrow.
IMG_3596 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3596 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (93.53 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Glenn made a good stalk to get within 20 yards but the shot was just off.

We kept making our way slowly into the wind and there were rabbits everywhere, a few missed shots before Clinton put one on the money.
IMG_3600 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3600 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (83.95 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
It was beautiful country to be in, nice and cool with rabbits everywhere. We had hunted about 300 meters and I had a great stalk on a fat bunny only to send my home made rabbit smasher just over his back. Glenn and Clint were watching from 30m back and the sound of the shot spooked a cat from behind a granite boulder. I didn't see the cat but Glenn snuck over the rise where he saw it last. What happened next was a good lesson learnt.

We couldn't find the moggy so I thought a quick blow on my home made tenterfield style fox whistle might get him to poke his head out. None of us had an arrow on the string as we all thought the cat was long gone.

A few blows on the whistle and we had 2 dingoes flying in from a small gully about 200m away. I couldn't believe it and Clint later told us that you never see dingoes in this area.

So here we all are fumbling to get an arrow on the string before the dingoes step on our toes. The dog must have picked up movement as he stopped about 40 yards out and sat there. The bitch was a bit smarter and stayed out wider, circling into the wind before making an approach. I kept blowing on the whistle but neither would come any closer. The dog was losing interest so Clint had a shot, narrowly missing the dog and sending him back from where he came from. The bitch nearly came close enough for Glenn to get a shot but eventually the wind changed and she was gone.

We all stood around shaking our heads and saying we will never whistle again without being set up.

We kept hunting and it wasn't long before Glenn smacked his first critter with his beautiful custom made Flatline TD recurve. This young one stayed out a bit too long and a great shot from Glenn had him dead in the entrance to his burrow.
IMG_3606 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3606 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (71.07 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
A few more shots were had that arvo but with no success, first blood for my recurve would have to wait.

Glenn putting in a difficult stalk in open country
IMG_3602 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
IMG_3602 [Desktop Resolution].JPG (95.44 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
The 3 amigo's
IMG_3607 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3607 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (63.44 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Day 3

Sunday dawned beautiful and clear and after a bit of final packing we were on our way to the Goat property near the Qld/NSW border.

The hour and a bit trip went quickly as we spoke and joked of what the rest of the week might bring.

We pulled into the house and caught up with owner and his wife who were very welcoming before heading down to the creek to set up the camper trailer.

We had been out of the car about 1 minute before we quickly realized that the thongs and footy shorts would have to stay in the bag, there were stinging nettles everywhere. Nothing was going to dampen our spirits though and after a few good stings to the legs we were ready to hit the hills for our first hunt.

A big hike over the back of some hills to make sure we were above the goats as they headed back up the slopes after feeding on the flats and it wasn't long before the bleating of kids could be heard. I had taken a couple billies from this property previously with the compound so Glenn was first up.

We soon picked up a good billy feeding in our direction and Glenn made his way across a gully and down toward the billy. Another white goat could be seen which sported a pretty good spread and a black billy with a good head also.

Clint and I stayed put and after half an hour the sound of an arrow being released and the "thwack" of the arrow finding flesh could be heard in the still afternoon. A few minutes passed before the sound of Glenn yahhoooing signaled that the goat was on the deck.

Glenn had made his way slowly down the hill to about 15 yards, as the Billy knelt to get at some green pick he opened up the triangle and Glenn sent the arrow on its way. The shot was a little far forward but put the Goat's lights out quickly. He ended up being an old billy and was starting to lose his coat. Glenn was stoked with his first big critter with the recurve and a few beers round the fire that night made a good celebration.
IMG_1733 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_1733 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (85.49 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
IMG_3622 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3622 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (95.11 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
More to come, hope your enjoying.
Attachments
IMG_3678 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3678 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (84.47 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Last edited by andy80 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Good week away

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Lookin' good mate; waitin' for the rest of the story. :biggrin: Congrats to Glenn on his first game taken with Trad gear!!!

Jeff

clinton miller

#3 Post by clinton miller » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:05 am

more, more, i forgot what happened! :lol:
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:47 am

Good story and pics,congrats to the young bloke for his first trad kill.

tracker

#5 Post by tracker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 am

Well done!

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

prasamaccus

#6 Post by prasamaccus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:50 am

Great read and pics, looking forward to the rest.

Pau.
"These new arrows are useless they keep going where I'm aiming instead of where they are supposed to go"

rodlonq

#7 Post by rodlonq » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:51 am

Great story and pics, thanks.

Cheers........ Rod

nonforgetful archer

#8 Post by nonforgetful archer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:59 am

well done and good pic`s

hazard

#9 Post by hazard » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 am

Great Pickies guys, Top story :mrgreen:

Keep it coming

Congrats guys :mrgreen:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

otis.drum

#10 Post by otis.drum » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:17 pm

great stuff that!
...otis...

andy80

Re: Good week away Day 3 added

#11 Post by andy80 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Righto, Sorry for the delay but had family stuff to do, lets get on with it,

The plan for day 3 was to hunt a different part of the property as we knew what one side of the river held, as its so important to be above the goats when hunting them we had to climb a fairly sizable hill and drop down the other side onto the goats.
IMG_1739 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_1739 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (67.49 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
We headed up a gully and noticed a fair bit of pig sign around the edges of a few patches of water that were still laying around so we slowed the pace and as we got into the thicker stuff I glanced up and noticed the hairy back of a pig layed up in the shade of a tree. The hog was only about 20 meters away but still out of range for me and the shot was far too risky with only the back of the pig visible. The ground was rocky and the wind was unpredictable and it didn't take long for our scent to waft up to the pigs sending them up the hill in a cloud of dust. There was also a real good boar bedded just around the corner which also took off. Bugger.

So off we go up the hill and down the other side, from the top of the hill we could see the goats feeding out on the flats so I headed down to try bag my first critter with the trad gear. The boys stayed up the top to try minimize the noise. I snuck down a ridge until I could see a few white specks through the trees and slowed my pace. As I was poking along a snort from an unseen nanny sent a small mob for the safety of the hills, right in the direction of Glenn and Clint who were still pretty high up. I made my way toward the mob I could see determined to get an arrow away but not wanting to rush things either.

The mob I was after didn't have any huge billies in it but a few young looking goats that would go well in the camp oven. I had come down a little too far past the mob so had to get back up in the bush line and try get ahead of them as they fed from left to right. I tried ambush positions about 3 times but it didn't turn out so I stalked after the mob as they fed over a small rise. I got within 10-12 meters from a nanny undetected as she grazed and nocked an arrow. The string came back and my middle finger found the corner of my mouth. I was nervous as I let the string slip from my glove and watched the arrow sail harmlessly under the nanny's chin and bury about 15 foot up a tree on the other side of the gully. The goats quickly left the flats and I was left with that feeling of what did I do wrong. Did I pick a spot, etc.

Ah well, I would rather miss a critter than wound one, so I dropped my pack off and climbed the tree to dig my arrow out. After a bit of a rest I slowly made my way back up the hill toward the boys and as I did I heard the sound of a string being released and a goat giving its last bleats. Glenn had shot a nanny as she lay in the shade trying to escape the heat. Clint had also shot a young goat which ended up in the camp oven that night.
IMG_1743 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_1743 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (98.08 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
A few photo's and taking the back straps and the legs we all headed back down the hill to see what goats were still around. We hadn't gone too far when a mob was spotted and I was again off for a stalk. Luck was on my side this time as a billy headed straight in my direction looking to bed down for the day. An arrow on the string and back to full draw again as the billy passed behind a bush. He was within my effective range as I followed him up the pad he was on in my sight window. Again I let the string slip from my fingers and again I saw the arrow sail under the billy's neck, leaving him unscathed....I was really starting to get annoyed with myself now. I had practiced my butt off getting ready for this hunt. As I thought back over the shot I realized that I had been watching the billy's head to make sure he didn't catch my draw. And that is exactly where the arrow went, right were I was looking. Mental note taken and off to stalk the rest of the mob.

Glenn was glassing the mob I was stalking and whispered that there was a real good brown billy feeding with the mob. It took me about 2 seconds to decide that it would be him or nothing.
IMG_3654 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3654 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (76.2 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
IMG_3652 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3652 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (97.31 KiB) Viewed 5289 times

I headed down the gully they were feeding up as the boys again stayed back and snapped some great photos. The ground was very noisy and the burrs and prickly pears made taking off the shoes not an option. So I sat and waited trying to will the billy toward me. There was no real direction to the way the goats were feeding which also made it difficult. It eventually looked like they were going to feed up the ridge so I belly crawled, keeping a good eye out for spiky things, out to a fallen tree where I could hopefully get a shot from. I am a great believer in needing a little bit of luck in bowhunting and I got lucky this time. The billy started to feed away from the mob and head straight towards me. I crouched as low as I could with arrow on string and slight tension on the string with my gloved left hand. The billy kept coming and I kept telling myself to pick a spot. The big billy came to about 4 yards and looked up, straight at me. He hadn't smelt me or seen me move. I could see the wildness in his eyes as I slowly came to full draw hoping he would turn and give me a shot. He sprinted a short distance down the hill and stood perfectly broadside, I concentrated on the spot but before I could release he bolted down into the gully.

This time I wasn't upset at all, I felt privileged to be able to get well within the distance this billy needed for his survival. I had been patient and stalked well. And I was never going to take a shot that I wasn't happy with. I stood up and walked back to the boys. Glenn and I joked about how easy it would have been with the compound.

So again we returned to camp tired and hot after a big walk. Clint made an awesome roast from the young goat that he had shot that day. And Glenn flicked a few lures late in the afternoon and nailed his first Murray Cod, the cod was released.
IMG_3657 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3657 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (59.23 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
That night when we headed down the creek for our, swim/bath there was heaps of these little fellas jumping round. The photo's don't do them justice. They were the most awesome yellow. It made the lure choice for the following day easy though.
IMG_1755 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_1755 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (65.58 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
IMG_1749 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_1749 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (41.56 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
Last edited by andy80 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Great read mate, I'm enjoying it very much. I know how ya feel about missing. :lol: Some good photos too!!!

Jeff

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Bill » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Well done, enjoyed it all, good pics and very well written. thanks,.........Bill

otis.drum

#14 Post by otis.drum » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 pm

love it. do yo know what type of frogs they are?
...otis...

BenBow

#15 Post by BenBow » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:59 am

Great hunt and story thanks. I almost hate to read about the hunts you guys show here as I want to come join you.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:58 am

BenBow wrote:Great hunt and story thanks. I almost hate to read about the hunts you guys show here as I want to come join you.
Well mate if you ever find yourself heading down this way give us some notice and I'm sure we could arrange to take you out hunting and share a real campfire. :biggrin:

Jeff

andy80

#17 Post by andy80 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 am

Day 4

As we had seen pigs the day before the plan was to get up before dawn and head into the hills to glass the flats where we suspected the pigs were feeding during the night. So we got up early, donned the camo gear and headed across the creek. Before we were even in the hills we saw a massive boar who was obviously late to bed as he was running for the safety of the hills. We made our way up onto the side of the hill and glassed and this is what we saw.
IMG_1767 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_1767 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (61.68 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
IMG_1770 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_1770 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (77.9 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
This beast was out feeding with a few other pigs, sorry I couldn't get a better photo but he was massive. We stayed up in the tree line and waited near the pad we thought he might come up and watched as the mob pigs he was feeding with passed within 20 meters of us. We thought we were on a winner and expected the big ginger boar to follow. But these buggers don't get big by being dumb as this fella gave us the slip. He just disappeared.

The plan for the rest of the day was to try chase the big brown billy from the previous day so Clint went on a solo mission over the hills again to check out a wallow he knew was on top and Glenn and I walked the tree line in the direction of where we last saw the big billy. The goats were feeding way out on the flats with no way of getting near so it was sit and wait again. We waited for about an hour before the goats headed our way.

I was up again as Glenn had already taken a couple goats so I headed into a gully the goats were feeding up and waited. They came within 30 meters but that wasn't close enough for me. They then started to feed up the other side of the gully allowing me so get within 10 or so meters.

I picked out a little brown billy and waited for him to give me the shot. I drew the custom curve and hoped I could do it proud. The arrow was away and again sailed just under the goat. "that's right" I said to myself while I mentally kicked my butt. "Pick a spot". Luckily for me the goat only spooked a few meters at the sound of the shot and ran behind a big fallen tree which allowed me to quickly get within shooting distance again. This time I drew the raven and concentrated on the spot I wanted to hit behind the goats shoulder. The shot was away and I watched the arrow pass through the goat near where I was looking. The shot was a little far back and needed a quick follow up shot but my first critter with the trad gear was finally on the ground. The sense of relief was huge.
IMG_1778 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_1778 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (91.05 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
A few quick photos and we took the back straps and legs for the pot. Clint was coming down the side of the hill and told us that the wind was really bad on top of the hill and as he got near the wallow 2 pigs had winded him.

The wallow
IMG_3660 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3660 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (104.68 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
As we were finishing cutting up my goat more goats started heading up the fence line toward our position. Glenn wandered over to the fence and waited. The goats came within 3 meters before Glenn smacked a nanny through the chest. Clint and Glenn went to take the meat off the nanny and I walked back to pick up the car.

As I walked back I strolled past a big shady tree in the middle of no where and this is what jumped out.
IMG_1788 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_1788 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (70.15 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
I drove the car back and picked up the boys and we headed back to camp. We had a quick fish that arvo and the other boys caught a few Yellowbelly and Cod.
IMG_3663 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
IMG_3663 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG (73.55 KiB) Viewed 5290 times

andy80

Re: Good week away Day 3,4 added

#18 Post by andy80 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 am

Otis, Nah mate not sure what kind of frogs they are, I am from further north and haven't seen them before.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 am

Congrats on ya first game taken with Trad gear Andy!!! :biggrin:

Jeff

wishsong

#20 Post by wishsong » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:36 pm

well done lads !

bigbob

#21 Post by bigbob » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Look like fluro frogs straight from Japanese reactor area! :shock: :surprised: :wink: :wink: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#22 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:20 pm

bigbob wrote:Look like fluro frogs straight from Japanese reactor area! :shock: :surprised: :wink: :wink: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff

clinton miller

#23 Post by clinton miller » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:40 pm

i think i'm still dreaming about the ginger ninja! he is a great boar.
much respect andy for having the courage not to shoot when your gut instinct says not to even on such a billy as he was.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Keith Lee

#24 Post by Keith Lee » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Hey guys i looked up the Frog book i have and i think they are a sub species of the Loveridge's Frog Philoria sphagnicolus i may be wrong i'm no expert.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#25 Post by Bill » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:24 pm

8) Still loving it, well done :smile:

hazard

#26 Post by hazard » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Way to go lads :biggrin: Top effort,

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Gringa Bows

#27 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Congrats on your first trad kill :wink:

Macca

#28 Post by Macca » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Great story, thanks for sharing.

clinton miller

#29 Post by clinton miller » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 pm

andy, where are you? we want more......

bigbob

#30 Post by bigbob » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:06 pm

terrific story with great shots and plenty of interest.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com