Naughty Mort & the Bundy Bogans.

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

Naughty Mort & the Bundy Bogans.

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Well our very own Moreton had us lined up for a wander on a property he had access to.
The plans were nutted out. Rod & I decided to head down once I finished work on Thursday, well I managed to scheme an early mark as well as Rod picking me up an hour out of town in the right direction.
So we had a pretty good head start on our usually departure time.

Things went well, we hit Dalby with out to many dramas, a feed & a splash of fuel & we kept on going. Just out of Cecil plains we stopped so I could try & grab a photo of the lightning bolting all over the sky.
Well a wet shirt & a close encounter with a truck & I called it quits with not 1 lightning bolt slipping across the sky in the 20 minutes I stood out there.
Back in the Defender & 5 minutes further the lightning started again (story of my life really) but we kept on going with a few more laughs about the situation.
The laughing soon stopped as the rain got heavy, then it got a little heavier & then it somehow found a way to throw cats & dogs down amongst the already torrential rain.
We were crawling along the road, not game to pull over on that nasty black soil, so we stuck to the black top & just meandered along at a very casual pace.
It finally eased up & we could see the table drains on the side of the road were full & the water was trickling over the road in low lying places. But a corner with bit of extra water had us seeing walls of white for about 4-5 seconds. It just appeared, we didn't have a chance, just lucky we were pocking along. Unlike the bloke going the opposite way we passed a few minutes later, hope his sedan handled it ok, he was moving.
So we roll into town & find a spot to roll the swag. The stars come out & things are looking good.

Friday morning turned up & the weather was looking good.

A chat with Moreton reveals things are slipping sideways & our well strung plan has taken its first diversion.
Mort wouldn't be turning up in Texas after lunch.
So with half a day or so to loose, we had a rendezvous with Texx already. We fuelled up & dropped in the main street for a look about. Whilst I was doing some window shopping, the local news agent came out & I was soon on to him for the hot tip on a fishing spot.
Whilst I was talking with this gentleman, Ozbow's very own Texx wanders out & starts talking with Rod. I thank the newsagent & wander over to join in on the conversation & introduce myself.
We have a good chat & Texx shows us his very impressive timber stocks & offers to lend us some fishing gear. We descend to the back of Mr & Mrs Texx's Takeaway shop & get all sorted out. Texx fixed us up with a rod & reel each, some spare hooks & sinkers. Then pointed us in the right direction.
We were going fishing !!!!!!!!!!!!
On arrival we discover a very nice camp ground frequented by many grey nomads on the Dumaresq River.
We unload half the wagon so I can cook ol' Roddy some breakfast, something about me putting him on a diet wasn't going to work ..... lol

Our next port of call was to go dig some worms, well after a false start, one of the resident Nomads set us on our way & we crossed the border (or the river as it may be) to a spot that looked like 30 nice pigs had turned the ground over. But actually was just where the nomads had been digging their worms.
Well at this point, Rod had decided he was the camera man & I was the work digger......... lol

Texx had informed us, In Nsw, a permit is required to do any sort of fishing. So as long as we were on the Qld side of the river, then we were doing the right thing.
So with a few worms in the bag, we did the right thing & crossed back into Qld to try our hand at some fishing.

We milled about fishing a little & chatting allot. We watched birds catch worms much easier than we did. We watched the local cockatoo swing from the trees & even swing off some branches for a drink. It sure was a nice spot to spend a few hours that was for sure.

I busted the camera out for a few shots to capture the moment.

Rod giving it his best.

The very picturesque Dumaresq River.

The tripod made an appearance & I nearly ended up in the drink for a self timed photo of the Bundaberg duo fishing the border river.

With the fish not giving up easy (Hey, we had 3 bites) we called it quits & made hast for Texx's Texas takeaway store.
We returned our borrowed fishing gear & order some lunch. Well if you are ver in Texas (Qld), do your taste buds a favour & drop in on Mr & Mrs Texx at the Texas takeaway in the main street.
Mrs Texx makes a mean hamburger & judging by the way the homemade pies walked out the door, the pies are pretty damn good as well.

At this point, I would just like to thank Mr & Mrs Texx for their hospitality & warm welcome. Such a lovely couple of people & a damn good hamburger to boot.
I brought a couple of Texx's handmade pens for the kids while I was there. I will have to get a picture of them, will get them together once the kids are alseep & add them in later.

So with Moreton being lost, losing his wallet & finally turning up, we were on our way. Camp was set up, a quick walk to revel things looked grime game wise & then a quiet drink around the fire to catch up.

We walked & worked hard, but the game was on Holidays (out fishing was my hunch)
So there is nothing much to chat about there.
But did we have some fun !!!!!!!! We sure did. We shot the daylights out of a couple of targets, we chewed the fat on any topic that took our fancy. Us Bundy boys may have corrupted the innocent mind of our little Moreton..... lol
The target stupidity was ramped up with some 85 metre lob shots at a termite mound.
Then the rubber pig was shifted out to 65 metres for some more arrow lobbing stupidity. Where I had to show this shifty pair how it was done..... lol

A couple of arrows frozen in flight with Rod in action.

A couple more arrows snapped in flight, from a different angle this time.

The game may have been thin (or none existing), but we made one hell of a trip out of it. I don't doubt the three of us will crap on about this trip for years to come.

We endured a few storms, some a little more hairy than others, just glad that one that hit Warwick on Saturday night slide around & we only caught the tail.

The photo doesn't really show how heavy it was.

A view of camp.

I as always had the camera handy & set about making good with the still water & many reflections on offer for the weekend.

With little arrows & all her talk about Tim Tams, I made sure we had packed our own for the trip.

A few car bits I found lying about in the bush.

I know this is far from a fantastic bird photo, but I love these little birds & this was just a lucky snap.

So it was far from a successful hunt, but it was one hell of a good weekend.

I would really like to forward a HUGE THANK YOU to Mr & Mrs Texx again. The lone of gear & fantastic feed. Thanks again.

A Thanks to Rod & Moreton for a great trip.

Thanks to everyone for reading.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Naughty Mort & the Bundy Bogans.

#2 Post by Bill » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:42 pm

:biggrin: thanks for the story, I've enjoyed it alot.

blu-dog

#3 Post by blu-dog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:50 pm

It's all about the memories made! - sounds like a good weekend!!!
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Sounds like you had a good time regardless of the lack of game. Some great photos in that lot, thanks.

Jeff

Benny Nganabbarru

#5 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:35 pm

You sure do take good photos! Thanks for sharing that. It looks weird though, to a Northerner, seeing people fishing with their feet dangling in the water like that.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Yep, it was a great weekend with a couple of top blokes,i dont know if Morton will ever be the same again :mrgreen: ...i too would like to thank Texx and his Missus,for the loan of the fishing rods,and the great burger,and their hospitality :biggrin: looking forward to catching up again in the future :wink:

g_r

#7 Post by g_r » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks for sharing, looks like a great time. And your pics are topnotch as always!

The interesting thing for me about you Aussies on these pics (and many others) is that blokes that look excactly like the ones my parents warned me of :wink: wear flipflops. I mean seriously the only guys wearing flip flops here are either Super Cool and hip and need longer in the bathroom than 10 women or they are .....gay. :biggrin: Sorry, wasnt meant offenisve, just observing some cultural differnces here. :lol:
My sister in law once stated: " Men have feet allright. But they dont need to show em!" :roll:
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#8 Post by Outbackdad » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:30 am

g_r wrote: The interesting thing for me about you Aussies on these pics (and many others) is that blokes that look excactly like the ones my parents warned me of :wink: wear flipflops. I mean seriously the only guys wearing flip flops :roll:
G_R another name for them is Japanese safety boots. :biggrin:

dawallace45

#9 Post by dawallace45 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:04 am

Ben , I've got to agree , a couple of trips up north cured me of ever dangling my feet in the water any where .

Looks like you fellers had a good time and the river there is a nice area , will heartily agree with the quality of the hamburgers ,
So Texx show you his stock of timbers , he has some nice pieces , did he show you his pen turning ?

Is his boat finished yet ?

Texx if your reading this I haven't forgotten about your Video , I've been trying to borrow another video player to copy it to but it seems that I'm the only person around here that has a video player that still works , but no problem , we ordered some gear to copy from video to dvd and as soon as I get it done will send it back to you ,

If any one is interested in learning to cast a fly line then the video or DVD : New Fly Casting Techniques by Lefty Kreh is about the best one I've come across

David

roscoe

#10 Post by roscoe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:44 am

Looks like a nice place to camp and get away from things , great photos thanks for sharing fellows..roscoe

rodlonq

#11 Post by rodlonq » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:05 am

Looks like a great way to recharge the batteries fellas. Great photos as usual Gidget, thanks for sharing.

Cheers.......... Rod

Nephew

#12 Post by Nephew » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Yep! That tells the tale alright! Thanks for coming out fellas, no game but I was totally content anyway. :smile:
Excellent pics, Gidge!
Got me wallet back, too. Pleased to see there's still good, honest folk out in the world. :biggrin:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Slackshot

#13 Post by Slackshot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Worms would not be so good as a bait,you guys need to catch shrimp.Go to the shallow water(rapids) and roll the rocks over while holding a fine net downstream.The shrimp jump and are swept downstream into your net,or buy some shrimp traps and bait them with pig pellets or meat and throw them into the rocky parts of the creek.The best bait!!!!!
Slackshot aka Gary Case

bigbob

#14 Post by bigbob » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:00 pm

If there was weed growing along the bank, we used to just grab armfuls, bundle it up and chuck it on the bank. Shrimps would be caught in the weed. About the worms, back up along the Burdekin, every second guy would use worms for bait catching sooty grunter [ black bream to the locals] eel tail catfish [jew] and sleepy cod.I think most rivers ,at the right time admittedly, would be okay using worms.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Nephew

#15 Post by Nephew » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:02 am

Spear Chucker wrote:Also a cake of soap is good bait for shrimp in a shrimp trap. Great story Gidget and boys, would certainly have enjoyed your company down there and I'm sorry I didn't make it.

Darren
It aint goin' anywhere, Chuck! :wink: There'll be other times, matey, just say the word and we'll set about forming a plan. :biggrin:
BTW, Young Gidge, don't flatter y'self on the corruption of poor Morts innocent mind, that began before you were weaned, son! :razz: :lol:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Nutgrass

#16 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:30 am

Moreton wrote: BTW, Young Gidge, don't flatter y'self on the corruption of poor Morts innocent mind, that began before you were weaned, son! :razz: :lol:
Tongue in cheek young grass hopper :mrgreen: :lol:

Thanks for all the fishing tips guys. We never actually thought we were going to catch anything, we just thought it would be a great way to spend a couple of hours.
But the tips have been taken on board & future provisions have been made. I have taken a hand line from the shed, a set of pantihose from Rod's bag, a cake of soap from the bathroom & put it all in a glass case in the back of the Defender with a sign above it, reading..............................

IN CASE MORETON IS LATE, BREAK GLASS & GO FISHING

:mrgreen: :lol: :biggrin: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :biggrin: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :biggrin:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.

dawallace45

#17 Post by dawallace45 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:09 pm

set of pantihose from Rod's bag
What was Rod doing with pantyhose in his bag ???????

David

Nutgrass

#18 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:25 pm

dawallace45 wrote:
set of pantihose from Rod's bag
What was Rod doing with pantyhose in his bag ???????

David

Haven't you been hunting with the big fella before :shock: Something about reducing the chaff :wink: Works better than butter he reckons :shock:
The real unsettling thing is when he drags them on in the morning & asks, Do they make my bum look big ? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nutgrass

#19 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Finally managed to get all the pens back from the kids for a quick photo :wink: The kids love them 8) (The pink one is for the ol' girl)

dawallace45

#20 Post by dawallace45 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Something about reducing the chaff
I don't know , it sounds suspiciously kinky to me , does he reckon they make him feel sexy too ???

David

Slackshot

#21 Post by Slackshot » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Hells bells,you guy really know how to camp,,,,,,,,,,pink tights and all !!!!sooo you coming out or not :lol: :lol: i got a million jokes on that :biggrin: :biggrin:
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Gringa Bows

#22 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:25 pm

ahhhhuh,a bloke hasn't had internet or home phone since friday arvo,and didnt know what Gidget had written ,thanks for letting my secret out mate :surprised:

Guy Layton

#23 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Nice work guys... It looks like you all had a great time...!

Fantastic pictures Gidget... my fav is the one with you and Rod fishing on the log... 8)

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Gringa Bows

#24 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Yes Guy,i like that pic too reminds me of when i use to wag school a hundred years ago... :lol: bloody beautiful pens Johno does.....

Guy Layton

#25 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:23 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Yes Guy,i like that pic too reminds me of when i use to wag school a hundred years ago... :lol: bloody beautiful pens Johno does.....
Rod,

I could picture you 100 years ago too..... probably smoking a dart and a beer in hand...! :lol: just kidding..!!

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Gringa Bows

#26 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:28 pm

yeah mate i only stopped smoking them horrible things six years ago ,but i have a beer in my hand right now. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Guy Layton

#27 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Rod,

XXXX GOLD I would presume...? :biggrin:

No smokes for me... Scotch and coke is going down well at the moment.... 8)

Cheers Guy

Gringa Bows

#28 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:37 pm

yep you got it right,looking for hidden cameras now :lol: Cheers mate :biggrin: :biggrin:

Guy Layton

#29 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:40 pm

:lol: No hidden cameras mate... I just know nearly everyone north of the border drinks it... and quite a few south, including me...! :biggrin:

Cheers Guy

Gringa Bows

#30 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:53 pm

:biggrin: