Quiver conundrum

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Brigsy

Quiver conundrum

#1 Post by Brigsy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Just after a bit of info on what Quivers you guys are hunting with?
Bow quiver looks to much and dosnt feel right on the Gringa, I like to carry alot of unnecessery crap on a hunt and drink lots of water so rules back quivers out. Have been using a hip quiver but it gets in the way and i have to back track every few hundred meters to find my lost arras. So have been looking up some side quivers that will work with a back pack on, just wondering if anyone on here has had anything to do with them and what ones work best?
Cheers Chris

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Quiver conundrum

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Last hunt I tried a G Fred Asbell quiver and found it to be excellent. I use a CamelBak pack and this quiver seemed to work the best out of the various ones I have tried. I carried seven arras; six with broadheads and one with a judo point.

Jeff
Bow n Arra.jpg
Bow n Arra.jpg (286.29 KiB) Viewed 5811 times

excelpoint

#3 Post by excelpoint » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:28 pm

I also have a G Fred quiver and like it for bunny bashing but for my main hunts I like a bow quivers on all the bows I have owned. Tried back, side and most others but cant go past the practicability and functionality of the bow quiver.

wishsong

#4 Post by wishsong » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:42 pm

I like a back quiver and agree that a bow quiver can 'unbalance ' a fine longbow ... but I still use them occasionaly .

If carrying a back pack etc I'd recommend a Safarituff Arrowmaster . I use mine all the time ... perhaps the most versatile and easy to use quiver ... quiet, easy and quick arrow removal and the ability to carry more tha a dz arrows including judo's, blunts and a bunch of broadheads ..... and it protects your feathers .

Perhaps the best quiver I have ever used

http://www.safarituff.com/

you can order them in Australia at
http://longshotarcheryandoutdoors.webs.com/ :biggrin:

/Users/benmaher/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/12:06:2011_2/IMG_0478.MOV
Last edited by wishsong on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:48 pm

all i've used for years is a home made side quiver,never had a problem....

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:47 pm

I've lost arrows from a side quiver, and I found it just depends on the angle you wear it at. I wear it as vertical as possible without interfering with my daypack and have no worries. That way you feel the 'pull' if it snags on a branch or scrub or anything before it pulls the arrow out.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:53 pm

the arras in my side quiver are held in place by grippers from an old bow quiver,so stay where they are till i need them...

hazard

#8 Post by hazard » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Jeff
You should post a pickie of the quiver you lent Moreton on the last hunt, It looked light and easy.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:the arras in my side quiver are held in place by grippers from an old bow quiver,so stay where they are till i need them...
Yeah, but that's YOU! You're just bloody good at ANYTHING bowhunting related, old mate! :wink: :biggrin:

I'll dig a pic out, Haz, that's the quiver I was talking about.

Tommo

#10 Post by Tommo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:15 am

Used to shoot with a bow quiver, and while they may dampen shot noise a little I figured why use a nice lightweight recurve (or long) bow and then add half a dozen arrows to it's weight. Bought a GFA side quiver to use with my PCH and found it to be excellent, so bought another to use with my other bow too. Not lost an arrow from either, and it can be carried in a couple of different positions. I prefer using it as a side quiver. Like anything a gazillion different options out there. Have pondered on the safari tuff quiver, never heard a bad word on them but am happy enough with the GFA's at present.
Only way to find out what really suits you is try a few different quivers.

stickshooter

#11 Post by stickshooter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:48 pm

I use a 4 arrow Kantie bow quiver to hunt with as it's small & do's not affect the balance of the bow.
A bowquiver is the way to go if your hunting through bush & scrub,but if your hunting on open ground a back quiver would be the way to go.
tried a side quiver & found it to be a pain in the a
cheers
Nigel

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:24 pm

I had this photo already resized. This is the quiver being used by me being left handed. The throat on the arra grippers faced upwards but when turned around for Craig, being right handed, they faced down and the arras could be knocked out which wasn't good. (This quiver was/is a right handed version by the way - I made it left handed) I also didn't like the way it fanned the arras out. Maybe Craig will post up a photo showing him wearing it.

I much prefer the GFA side quiver to this hip style.

Jeff
NT-2006-Side-quiver.jpg
NT-2006-Side-quiver.jpg (92.3 KiB) Viewed 5733 times

Nephew

#13 Post by Nephew » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:18 pm

The only one I've got where you can clearly see it is that pic of the shot I was taking on that boar, fellas. The rest either have it concealed on my other side, or you can only partially see it. I'm trying to work out how to crop this pic so's I don't have to post the whole pic, it's way too big and if i post it resized smaller it will be useless as you can't see the quiver! Gimme time, I'll work it out.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Ok I resized a couple of photos from our Cunnamulla trip. These show Craig's quiver better. I put the first one in as it shows Craig and I with our packs and quivers on. Please excuse Craig's better..... eerrrrr sorry, rear end in the second photo. :mrgreen:

Jeff
Craig's Quiver.jpg
Craig's Quiver.jpg (188.9 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
Craig's Quiver 2.jpg
Craig's Quiver 2.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 5723 times

Nephew

#15 Post by Nephew » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:51 pm

At least you can tell the difference between my face and my rear end! YOU, on the other hand, Jeff...! :razz: :wink: :lol:
I think Recurvemeister once asked for a pic of that pack to see how it fits, so there ya go, Meister! :smile:

g_r

#16 Post by g_r » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:09 pm

I also like side quivers best.
Ive built em myself like others.

My asbell Style quiver made out of a brokne Thunderhorn Bow Quiver and some scraps lying around:

My version of the Safari Tuff quiver made out of a round Tupperbox some alum profiles and coverd with a old woolen blanket;
This one is my favourite, i use all the time. Lots of arrows, silent, carry on back or side; easy arrowremoval and i can see if i take a blunt, blade or field point when wearing on side.

Heres the build along:
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11248

And my Chuck Adams version out of a cheap bowquiver some scrap plastic and a bit of leather; My girlfriend uses this one alot and likes it. Though it has the fanning effect Jeff spoke of.

Axel

P.S. Im sorry my rear end isnt as decorative as Craigs :confused: :biggrin:
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Moreton wrote:At least you can tell the difference between my face and my rear end! YOU, on the other hand, Jeff...!
A little revenge coming out mate. :wink: :lol:
g_r wrote:P.S. Im sorry my rear end isnt as decorative as Craigs
I ain't gunna go near that one! :surprised: :lol:

Jeff

Nephew

#18 Post by Nephew » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Gee, I was hoping that would go through to the keeper without being noticed! :oops: :biggrin:
Um, thanks G.R....I think? :confused: :razz: :lol:

Brigsy

#19 Post by Brigsy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:47 pm

thanx all for your replies!
G-r that first one of yours has me thinking, i have an old bow quiver the same as that so i might even be able to make my own and use the money i save on something else hhhmmmmm.
Chris

g_r

#20 Post by g_r » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Moreton wrote: Um, thanks G.R....I think? :confused: :razz: :lol:
Well, i thought i wouldnt gonna wait till youre gonna say it.... :lol: :biggrin:

brigsy, go for it, it aint that hard if i can do it.
ive used alumprofiles screws and some leather (to lazy for sewing ive glued the leather down :roll: )
another closeup:
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

UPTHETOP

#21 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:10 am

Axel some great mug shots there are you shore you havnt been in a police line up before.he he

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

roscoe

#22 Post by roscoe » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 am

There is no magic quiver out there is there? I have tried just about all of them, they all have there advantages & disadvantages. I hunt to with a hydro pack , but all my hunting is in thicker bush. On my recurve bow i have a bow quiver, I don't like the extra bit of weight, but there is nothing like it for the thicker bush & its a small trade off. I tried a bow quiver on my longbow, but I just didn't like it at all. I think it all boils down to what sort of terrain you hunt in and can you put up with the style of quiver you choose and its disadvantages...Roscoe

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:22 am

roscoe wrote:There is no magic quiver out there is there? I have tried just about all of them, they all have there advantages & disadvantages. I hunt to with a hydro pack , but all my hunting is in thicker bush. On my recurve bow i have a bow quiver, I don't like the extra bit of weight, but there is nothing like it for the thicker bush & its a small trade off. I tried a bow quiver on my longbow, but I just didn't like it at all. I think it all boils down to what sort of terrain you hunt in and can you put up with the style of quiver you choose and its disadvantages...Roscoe
IMO that about sums it Roscoe!!!

Jeff

roscoe

#24 Post by roscoe » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Yes Jeff, we are all searching for the magical perfect quiver :lol: . But i now and you know that it doesn't exist? Well not to my knowledge anyway...Roscoe

Jeffro

#25 Post by Jeffro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeh I reckon bow quivers are the go for hunting.If your worried about extra weight its still nothing compared to luggin around a compound.
I tried backquivers for a while but agree the arrows go blunt easily,plus they rattle and get caught on stuff.

Didnt know you were a leftie Jeff,go the lefties

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Jeffro wrote:Didnt know you were a leftie Jeff,go the lefties
Yeah mate I shoot from the right side of the bow. :mrgreen:

Jeff

roscoe

#27 Post by roscoe » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:16 am

Darren i saw your back quiver attached to your hydo pak and it seemed to work pretty good. The arrows were right next to your shoulder. I just remembered another thing why i am not fond of the back quiver. I was hunting one afternoon and a big storm came in and it filled my back quiver with water. The shafts i had in it were not water proofed...Roscoe

Brigsy

#28 Post by Brigsy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:03 am

well after lots of research and searching the net ( and the arrival of a new credit card) i decided on the safari tuff side quiver.
It arrived yesterday with a few other goodies, had to make sure the card worked :roll:. So far i am wrapped in it,no more wet feathers, it sits real nice with a small backpack, the arrows are a breeze to get in and out.
Just need to get it out in the bush to test it out.
Chris

wishsong

#29 Post by wishsong » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Brigsy ... the are fine quivers eh ! Great for toting arrows in any and all circumstances . Perhaps the best piece of equipment I own.
If any one is interested in them , feel free to give me a PM or email as I act as a distributor for Safarituff products .