The second chapter of "Hunting Cunnamulla 2011" (Pic Heavy)

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

The second chapter of "Hunting Cunnamulla 2011" (Pic Heavy)

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:14 pm

I think Craig is the scribe among us so I will give a less detailed account of how the hunt went and let the photos help tell the story.
The Mottly Crew
The Mottly Crew
The crew.jpg (292.98 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Things were rather dry out west this year as to date they had only received 125mm of rain which meant any game should be more concentrated near water than was the case on our previous trip around the same time last year. This proved to be the case and the pigs were generally in pretty poor condition to.

The trip didn't start well for me as I missed a shot on a very good old western boar. Keith and I were driving up a fence line to meet up with the other fellas when we were passing a water trough. We saw a mob of goats near the trough and stopped for Keith to have a crack at them. We were at the back of the Cruiser when I suddenly saw a sow on the track only 25 metres in front of us. She was soon joined by a slip and then the boar; other than the boar having a quick look at the Cruiser they paid no attention to it.

What we witnessed in the next ten minutes or so was simply excellent. The sow only walked a few metres and laid in a wallow with the boar and slip continuing on a little further to do some wallowing in the open only 25 metres from us. We were in full view of them most of the time so there was no hope of trying to get in for a shot. The boar laid in the mud and gave himself a good rubbing.

The sow and the slip moved away into the nearby bush so that left the boar alone; you beauty. Keith said for me to have a go at him so as he moved into some bush, going back the way he had come, I took the opportunity to get closer. He was moving through the timber only twelve or so metres away but I couldn't shoot through the brush. Instead of going straight ahead as I expected him to do he turned left and walked towards me so I hit the deck rather quickly. Only a couple more steps and he would have been broadside at eight metres but nah not to be; he stopped at ten metres and backed up and proceeded to have a good rub on a tree. This took some time and of course he was exactly front on to me and I was on my knees and hunched over the whole time. He finally stopped and I thought just a couple of steps more to clear the brush but oh no, about turn and back the way he had just come. I thought he would wander off so I tried a shot from bent over and promptly sent an arra under him - I was spewin' :oops: :x As it turned out that pretty much was the story of the trip for me; couldn't hit the broad side of a barn as they say. :roll:
The tree the boar had a good rub on. The photo was taken from where I was although I am standing taking the photo.
The tree the boar had a good rub on. The photo was taken from where I was although I am standing taking the photo.
Rub Tree.jpg (260.61 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
While we were retrieving my wayward arra and having a look which way the boar had gone a small mob of goats had come to water. I slipped in close to the trough and as the goats left I got an eleven metre shot at a young billy for meat; of course I saw the nock bury right where I was looking and the billy was down in twenty metres. When we got to the billy we could see he was in very poor condition with his hind quarters being skin and bone - so no meat from him.
This little billy was in very poor nick
This little billy was in very poor nick
My Little Billy.jpg (275.09 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Later that first day found us down where Craig shot his good boar. There were quite a few goats watering in this area as well so we decided to walk in a loop and hopefully get Keith in on one. We were only ten minutes or so from the Cruiser when we spotted a mob making their way through the scrub. We quickly made our way to a patch of brush for an ambush and it wasn't long and Keith (who was five meters in front of me) had goats feeding past him at fifteen metres. He wasn't shooting so I gave him a bit of prompting and I saw his bow come up as he reached full draw. I think you could say he was pretty nervous as his bow arm and body was shaking profusely but the arra was finally on its way and he soon had a big old nanny on the deck. :lol: To say he was stoked would be an understatement as it had been quite a few years since he was last out hunting and this was his very first kill with a bow he had made himself - congrats mate!!!
The smile says it all!!!
The smile says it all!!!
Keith's Nanny.jpg (232.19 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
As we neared the water we could see plenty of pigs out in the open feeding but they weren't the ones we were after as there was no way to get near them.
Pigs.jpg
Pigs.jpg (216.41 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Pigs 2.jpg
Pigs 2.jpg (193.8 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
The head of the bore drain
The head of the bore drain
Bore Drain.jpg (205.71 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
We slowly made our way along in the taller grass beside the water course. I soon spotted a couple lone pigs feeding in front of us about fifty metres apart. I thought they would be boars so I stalked in on the first. As I moved in there were a couple of smaller pigs on my right that I had to sneak past but thankfully I made it past them unnoticed. With the help of a small bush I closed the distance to my intended target to approx six metres. I waited and when the pig turned to quartering away I sent a 190 Ribbie through it. It exploded and ran about thirty metres and piled up in some brush beside the water. As it turned out it was a good sized sow.

I went over to photograph my pig and told Keith to have a go at the next pig as it was still there feeding. It was a good boar but just as Keith was getting in for the shot he spooked an unseen slip which was feeding close by and the boar took off to safer places. After taking photos of my pig I met up with the other boys who were gathered around Craig's boar.
My Sow 1.jpg
My Sow 1.jpg (235.96 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
The next day we hunted different areas and managed to flush some pigs that were bedded but the only thing that got a hole in it that day was the front left tyre on the Cruiser. I couldn't plug it as the hole was in the sidewall so we headed back to the homestead and we soon had the tyre off, a sleeve glued in place and we were ready for action again.
Hot work!!!
Hot work!!!
Tyre Repair.jpg (242.03 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
The following day we split up and spent the morning checking out a couple of watering points. Keith and Craig had some goats come into the water and Keith was successful in getting another nanny. Rod and I got some photos of goats and birds.
Keith heading into the scrub
Keith heading into the scrub
Keith.jpg (227.64 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Keith looking pleased with himself
Keith looking pleased with himself
Keith's 2nd Nanny.jpg (230.3 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Heading into water
Heading into water
Goats 1.jpg (240.56 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
At the trough
At the trough
Goats 2.jpg (230.86 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
That afternoon we headed for the bore drain again. Rod and I did a loop which brought us up on the far side of the bore drain while the other fellas stuck to the nearest side. We could immediately see pigs out in the open feeding again and as we entered an area with taller grass and weeds Rod spotted a couple of good sized black shapes and I said go gett'em. I watched from a higher vantage point and saw Rod draw and release and then saw a pig run about twenty five metres before getting the wobbly boot.

I went down to Rod and as he was standing there he saw another good sized pig in the grass to his right so he stuck a Ribbie through it as well. It was a boar and he also only went about twenty five metres where - while probably not needed - a quick follow up shot had the pig down. The pig rolled into a drain but me Ol' Mate Rod wasn't too keen on gettin' too close to that boar just yet but it was sinking so I managed to reach out and grab an arra that was sticking out and haul it up onto the bank. The things we do for mates. :lol:

It was hand shakes for my Ol' Mate and he even cracked a big smile a time or two. During this Rod remembered the sow and wondered where she dropped; I looked right behind me and she was laying a couple of metres away. It was a couple of happy Bowhunters and we set up for some photos and removed the jaw.
He was smilin' on the inside!!!
He was smilin' on the inside!!!
Rod's Boar.jpg (261.74 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Two at a time
Two at a time
Rod's Double.jpg (261.55 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
I had a number of stalks in the more open area and in the dry weedy stuff but nearly every time at twenty five to twenty metres I got busted. It was getting late when we met up with the other fellas and they didn't have any success on the pigs but Keith managed to drop a young billy so we grabbed some photos of it and headed back to the Cruiser.
Smiles again!!!
Smiles again!!!
Keith's Billy.jpg (191.88 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
The next day, Wednesday, was Roddies birthday so he was keen to get a billy to celebrate. We headed up to some higher country and near a small dam we saw a mob that had a few billies in it. Rod was soon on his way and managed to get in pretty close as a couple of them were having a good head butting session. Rod released and watch one billy drop near on the spot. The other one wondered what happen to his sparing mate and went for a look and Rod promptly put a Ribbie through him as well; two goats down three metres apart. The Ol' Boy was more than a little happy and even managed a few smiles again. We had a good photo session and removed the heads.
He's smilin'!!!
He's smilin'!!!
Rod's Birthday Billy 1.jpg (259.58 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Still smillin'!!!
Still smillin'!!!
Rod's Birthday Billies.jpg (259.32 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
That afternoon saw us chasing pigs again down where we staked the tyre a couple of days before. We were soon onto some and sent Keith in to try and get one. He got in on one and muffed the shot (I know how he felt) but there were more further over.
Keith moving in on the pig
Keith moving in on the pig
Keith Stalking.jpg (225.72 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
We set Keith up in a patch of fallen tress and brush and watched as a couple of pigs fed right past him with one under ten metres. We saw him draw back and then heard the sound of wood on wood as the arra deflected off an unseen twig - very disappointing.

There were more pigs further over and a couple seemed to be feeding and taking the same path as the previous ones so Craig stayed with Keith while Rod and I watched proceedings from further behind. One pig fed into about twelve metres but only presented its rear end so no shot could be taken.
Keith & Craig waiting in ambush - you can see the rear end of the pig in the upper left under the big log
Keith & Craig waiting in ambush - you can see the rear end of the pig in the upper left under the big log
Keith & Craig Ambush.jpg (248.72 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
The pigs fed out into the open and Rod decided to have a go at them and made it to just on twenty metres and took a shot but missed. The wander back to the car via a water course was uneventful.
Rod at full draw - he missed
Rod at full draw - he missed
Rod Shooting.jpg (230.76 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Thursday had us having a look around for goats again but while seeing plenty there was not a decent billy in sight. The heavy mustering seems to have really taken its toll on the billies and we never even saw a good sized one for the whole trip. Having given the bore drain a rest the day before we headed for there again in the afternoon.

While the wind was good to us for the first few days things had certainly changed and we had swirling winds to contend with for the rest of the trip. This was very evident as we saw pigs heading for cover from the open area as we neared the bore drain. A number of stalks were blown because of the wind.
Another blown stalk!
Another blown stalk!
My Stalk.jpg (228.12 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Rod and Craig did come across a couple of pigs in some thick brush and Rod shot a small boar.
Rod's Little Boar.jpg
Rod's Little Boar.jpg (231.24 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
I spotted a good lump of a boar feeding in the grass some distance up ahead. There was no cover but he seemed content on rooting around after something tasty in the grass so I thought I will give it my best shot. After some time I found myself getting into good range and at about ten to twelve metres I decided that was close enough and waited for him to turn quartering away. He soon obliged and I promptly stuffed up another close shot; I couldn't believe it and I sure was annoyed at myself. Such gift shots just don't happen too often. :oops: :roll:

Feeling more than a little dejected I met up with the other fellas and we saw a good boar slowly making his way along the timber line. Craig and Keith were soon on their way and out of sight. Rod and I moved along in the general direction of the Cruiser as it was getting late. As we got to where we last saw the boar we saw Craig heading back towards the vehicle also.

However at the same time Rod spotted a pig coming into a little water hole back behind us and said he was going to have a go at it. He just started to head towards the pig when I heard a pig roar up where we last saw Keith head so I said to Rod I had better head up there and see if he was alright.

I started to make my way up a side feeder gully when I heard pigs fighting and realized that they must have been feeding on the carcass of Keith's billy. I made my way slowly along the tree line and soon saw a big black boar, a bit smaller boar, a sow and a slip - that got the heart rate up. The big boar just started walking away up the gully and into the timber, darn it, but the other boar was alright too.

I only made another ten metres or so when the sow just comes casually walking straight towards me. I stepped behind a dead tree but me guts was probably still sticking out however me checked camo would take care of that - hey Tony? :P The sow made her way closer and closer and I waited until she was broadside, about nine metres, and took the shot. As is often the case she saw the movement of me drawing but it was too late as the arra was on its way. She never made a sound and piled up at the edge of the timber a short distance from me. It was interesting that by the time the arra reached her she had spun from broadside to very much quartering away; the arra entered near the back of the ribs and came out just at the front of her off side shoulder.

The boar and slip never heard a thing so I decided to still have a go at the boar even though light was fading very fast. I got onto a cattle pad to help keep my foot steps quiet but again only made approx ten metres more when the boar decided to walk straight towards me. He looked like he was walking the same pad as me but turned slightly and would have passed a couple of metres to my right. I had absolutely no cover whatsoever so just stood very still and had my bow at the ready. He walked in to about nine metres before he realized something wasn't right. He stared at me and me at him for what seemed like a long time but was probably only fifteen seconds or so. He was front on to me so I couldn't shoot and there was no way he would be there by the time I got to full draw anyway. In the end I just started to draw and with that he spun and ran about thirty metres and stopped and huffed and puffed and then wandered up into the scrub.

While all this was going on Rod managed to drop the little sow that had come into the water. He came over and we got photos of my sow and then his and we then made a bee line for the Cruiser as it was now dark.
My Sow 2.jpg
My Sow 2.jpg (229.55 KiB) Viewed 4533 times
Rod's Sow.jpg
Rod's Sow.jpg (195.58 KiB) Viewed 4533 times
The next, our final day, was similar to the previous day. We did go back to the bore drain since it was our last day but the wind was bad and no one had success. There was a nice sunset that made a great farewell as we walked back to the Cruiser just on dark.
The End.jpg
The End.jpg (201.79 KiB) Viewed 4533 times
Thanks for ya company fellas; I thoroughly enjoyed myself (except for my dismal shooting) and will remember the laughs for a long time to come.

Jeff

chally

Re: The second chapter of “Hunting Cunnamulla 2011” (Pic Hea

#2 Post by chally » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:28 pm

Good read old fella. Makes me cry seeing all those pigs and not flinging a arra at them.

Cheers

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The second chapter of “Hunting Cunnamulla 2011ââ‚

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks. Hopefully next time you can fling an arra or two at them mate. :biggrin:

Jeff

Curvemeister

#4 Post by Curvemeister » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Top stuff , great read and pics , thanks for sharing , looks like a great place to spend a week or so .

The old tried and true " challa-cam " does the job !!! ive picked up a few shirts of late , nothing like a bit of " old school " !!! :wink: :lol:
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

hazard

#5 Post by hazard » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Great to see you guys really enjoying yourself, I loved the pickies, I feel your pain Jeff but on the high side you can go back another day and make up for the any regrets :biggrin: Your story was very entertaining even without Craigs down to earth ability to empart humour.

Congrats on your Kills guys! :mrgreen: The different stories emerging and the bonding on this hunt is clear just how much you guys enjoyed yourselves :mrgreen: This truly emparts the heart and soul of the sport.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Bill » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:01 pm

:smile: Well done, I have enjoyed all the pics and the story, thank you., a bit of bad luck your arro's were a touch heavy :lol: ; but you did look after young Craig.......Bill

bear74

#7 Post by bear74 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Great write up Jeff, sounds like an awesome trip!
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Nephew

#8 Post by Nephew » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Yep! That's how it went, alright! :biggrin: I tell ya fellas, I've rarely felt as sorry for a man as I did for Stickbow on this trip. The luck just wasn't with him! :| He was hard on himself over that first boar on the first day, I tell ya's! :shock:
Ah well, still beats being in town, hey Jeff?
Wasn't Ol' LB pleased with his two billies in a row? So he should have been, too, that was a once in a lifetime opportunity that one! To see him smilin' like that was also a once in a lifetime thing! :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Nephew on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Great photos, and a great yarn Jeff. Sounds like you had one of my normal days! :confused: :confused: :smile:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

piggy

#10 Post by piggy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Great stuff there fellas looks like a great trip all round.

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:51 pm

It was a top trip Jeff,loved every minute of it,even had a couple of giggles out there :biggrin:

Nutgrass

#12 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Great read & great pics mate. Sure looks like it was a great trip. Great mates in the bush chasing ferals, nothing beats it 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks for the encouraging comments fellas. It surely was a fun time and we had many a laughing session I can assure you. I think it was great that we all carried cameras and USED them to take some great memories.

Jeff

blu-dog

#14 Post by blu-dog » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Having hunted with big Rod on a few occassions now - I know what an adventure it is having him in camp! :shock:

Those pics surely do get the juices flowing Jeff - time to throw the swag in the car and disappear into the scrub!!! (if Michelle lets me) :oops:
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:50 pm

blu-dog wrote:(if Michelle lets me)
Chicken!!! :lol:

Jeff

blu-dog

#16 Post by blu-dog » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
blu-dog wrote:(if Michelle lets me)
Chicken!!! :lol:

Jeff
...you haven't met Michelle Jeff! :lol:
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:57 pm

blu-dog wrote:...you haven't met Michelle Jeff!
True. :shock: :lol:

Seriously mate, it's important we keep our lovely wives happy too. :biggrin:

Jeff

Nephew

#18 Post by Nephew » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
Seriously mate, it's important we keep our lovely wives happy too. :biggrin:

Jeff
Is Jude reading over your shoulder, or something Jeff?? :wink: :lol:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:12 pm

How'd you guess mate? :wink: :lol:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#20 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Chicken :lol:

Mick Smith

#21 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 pm

A great read and even better photos!! I'm inspired now to get the bow dusted off again. :biggrin:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

wishsong

#22 Post by wishsong » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:13 pm

that looks about as grand a trip as you could ask for ... good mates and enough game to keep you all on your toes ! Awesome stuff guys .
Jealous !

cheers

Ben

Jeffro

#23 Post by Jeffro » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:48 pm

some good photos there Jeff :biggrin: at least you had lots of action by the sounds of it whether or not you missed one doesnt matter hey.
You reckon too hard to stalk those ones out in the open? what about crawling like a worm mate :mrgreen: I can picture taking a few steps while its not looking and wriggling the last bit

trash one

#24 Post by trash one » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:07 am

Hoeky Sailor Jeff, good to see you & the blokes getting out.

Catch Ya
Butch

GrahameA

#25 Post by GrahameA » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:20 am

Morning Jeff.

I noticed the "Fashion Statement" of the check. When will the others be observing the "Dress Code".
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Benny Nganabbarru

#26 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:42 am

Awesome! Just plain awesome! Good on you, fellows!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#27 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks once again fellas for the kind comments; we really did have a great time. There certainly was a lot of game around and between us all there were quite a few other blown opportunities that I didn't mention.

Good to see you post Mick and go and dust off that bow of yours!!! :biggrin:

Hey Grahame, Craig shot his boar while wearing checks!!! :mrgreen:

Butcho, there was more than a few Hokey Sailors flying around when I missed that good boar. :lol:

Now Jeffro, if you can crawl along like a worm in that carpet of galvanized and goat head burrs you are a better man than me. We get enough of the things in us without crawling in them. :lol:

Jeff

prasamaccus

#28 Post by prasamaccus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:10 am

I'll add to the chorus, great read and pics.

Paul.
"These new arrows are useless they keep going where I'm aiming instead of where they are supposed to go"

FORRO

#29 Post by FORRO » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Jeff, Rod & Craig,

Thanks fellas for the company, food and THE HUNTING - :biggrin: :biggrin: . As I hadn't been on a hunting trip for about ten years I was quite stoked with my kills. As I drew my bow on a nanny I was shaking and I could hear the MASTER say - TAKE THE SHOT!! The other two goats were just as exciting to take as my first kill.For the entire weeks hunt I was using one of my FIRST bows I made (FORRO BOWS).

Thanks Jeff for the invite.

Keith.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#30 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks Paul.
FORRO wrote:As I drew my bow on a nanny I was shaking
That's for sure mate; it's a wonder the arra stayed on the rest. :lol:

It was great to see you get out huntin' again mate, thanks for ya company and help with gettin' the Cruiser ready. :D

Jeff