SW WA any tips?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

jonow

SW WA any tips?

#1 Post by jonow » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Just sending out a call for any advice in regards to bow hunting in SW WA.
I will be in the Esperance area for Christmas this year for a few weeks and wondered if there are any feral species to be found down there. I will have access to a number of properties through family and friends but thought I would ask in case any one here knows of anything specific in that area?
Any advice would be welcomed and well guarded if need be.

Cheers.

Jono
"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them" Psalm 127

Chuditch

Re: SW WA any tips?

#2 Post by Chuditch » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:17 pm

Foxes and bunnies and feral cats down Esperance way mate.

Nearly all pigs and the 'mythical' deer in the SW are on crown land, which is a no no for the ethical bowhunter....

Nothing wrong with whistling in foxes or whacking bunnies and the odd pussy... I grew up hunting like this and still love it.

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:36 am

G'day Jono,

I was going to be in Esperance this year for Christmas, but our first baby is due around then, so we're not travelling. Every time I go to Esperance, I try to kill my first rabbit with the bow. So far, I've only frightened them. One day...

Yep, rabbits are pretty-much it, with cats and foxes also possible (foxes more common than cats, but usually encountered at night). There used to be some deer, but now they are reduced to rumours and ghosts, thanks to CALM poisoning them all. A few hundred km to the north, there are of course some goats.

Cheers,

Ben

jonow

#4 Post by jonow » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks guys, yeah checking out with people seems that the deer that are around down there are considered dear to the property owners who like them. I will be trying to get my first bunny too it seems. Pity you weren't going to be down there ben would be good to meet, you got relos down there?

We may come back through the back way and have some contacts up there so my even get a chance for some goat. Although it will be a tad warm to be walking out and about each day.
Now to get practicing on rabbit sized targets. My last venture for bunnies had me see 2 bunnies in 2 weeks and each time was without the bow!!

Benny Nganabbarru

#5 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:30 am

Yep, I have family there. That's where I grew-up.