Upcoming hunts ..... ? anyone ?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

wishsong

Upcoming hunts ..... ? anyone ?

#1 Post by wishsong » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:54 pm

As I plug away at the keyboard and stare at Melbourne's busiest street out of my office window I am , as usual daydreaming about upcoming hunts . I have planned another crack at some Forest hogs here in Victoria , and maybe a mid spring Sambar hunt later in October [ don't I Darcy ... ] starting out with a rabbit hunt tomorrow.
Maybe New Zealand again in 2012 ...

Anyone got anything coming up ? large or small ? exotic or rabbits ?

TomMcDonald

Re: Upcoming hunts ..... ? anyone ?

#2 Post by TomMcDonald » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Ben,
I'll be going on my first hunt in 6 months in around 3 weeks.
I'll be failing to shoot a fallow down on the far south coast of NSW :)
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

wishsong

#3 Post by wishsong » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Tom .. sounds like a hoot ... failing to shoot a fallow . I took one [hind] before last Christmas and it was fine eating . The property I took her on had fallow everywhere ... and of course that property got sold :cry:
I think the stags will have cast by now ? Other more knowledgable lads will know.

slvrslngr

#4 Post by slvrslngr » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm headed to Darwin next weekend, hope to get out after pigs at least one day. The only other planned hunt is chasing late season cow elk in Washington state since I'm headed stateside for the holidays, I'd not pass up a chance at a deer though. With any luck, I'll get out after some goats here in WA before then!

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:56 pm

slvrslngr wrote:I'm headed to Darwin next weekend, hope to get out after pigs at least one day. The only other planned hunt is chasing late season cow elk in Washington state since I'm headed stateside for the holidays, I'd not pass up a chance at a deer though. With any luck, I'll get out after some goats here in WA before then!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

looseplucker

#6 Post by looseplucker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Might have a whang at a rabbit this w/e. Hope to T something with Tom and Billb at some point too. I plan on completely b+ggering up a deer stalk very shortly, perhaps missing a goat and have some pigs run off sniggering behind their trotters. That is not to mention the sledging foxes and catcalling hares.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Keith Lee

#7 Post by Keith Lee » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Off in two weeks time down Texas chase some pigs and goats and any other fearls that stand in one place to long. :mrgreen:

Dodger

#8 Post by Dodger » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:35 pm

Thought we had permission but... :roll:
Last edited by Dodger on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bear74

#9 Post by bear74 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:44 pm

might go down the road into arhnemland and chase a few hogs on monday till wednesday! someone has flicked a switch up here and its getting real muggy! like chucker said sweat butt crack, mega cramps and chaffe here we come!
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Guy Layton

#10 Post by Guy Layton » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:49 pm

Rusa next week..... maybe Wednesday...... I will let you know how I go....

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Tommo

#11 Post by Tommo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Tomorrow, corzuela (brocket) and chatera (pheasant).

Sure there will be plenty to read about when Jeff's crew get back in!

wal

#12 Post by wal » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:17 pm

Rusa Guy :D ........that reminded me , don't get tangled with the buggers, check this out, apparently the dart goes in around the 49 sec mark, bit like that cage fighting thats on TV late of a night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrZqJvEy5gs dU

Sorry to half hijack your thread Ben :D , rabbits for me of a morning before work and a few evenings now the weather is starting to come good, I love the little buggers , just great fun. Trout opening this weekend in victoria, fly fishing still has a big draw on me even after all these years, bloody shame I can't come up with a way for fishing and hunting to pay the bills :(

Cheers

wishsong

#13 Post by wishsong » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:54 am

Wal , come down to D'ford one arvo for a bunny chase...you can laugh at how I miss.
As an aside , they really died off over winter ... and as of last weekend seem to be back for the summer.

bigbob

#14 Post by bigbob » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:05 am

Wal I get a vid not available message on that link. bummer.
razorbows.com

conanstheman

#15 Post by conanstheman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:48 am

Been chasing rabbits here in west aus. Off for a pig hunt in nannup soon.

wal

#16 Post by wal » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:32 am

This work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrZqJvEy5dU type in " fighting rusa stags bowshot " if not , speccy piece of footage.

Yes Ben we will have to catch up one day :D

cheers

bigbob

#17 Post by bigbob » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:58 am

Yep that works, mean suns of guns eh
razorbows.com

Darcy

#18 Post by Darcy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:11 pm

Ben,
I found a great Sambar spot today about 45min from home - you had better get your butt down here sooner than later as I reckon it is going to be an early summer.

Tom Mc,
Without divulging your secret spot for Fallow in the sth coast - roughly what region are you talking ie not far from Vic border? I have been checking out all the Game Council maps and have been considering joing up so I can hunt across the border for Red, Rusa, and Fallow

Darcy

clinton miller

#19 Post by clinton miller » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:46 pm

tomorrow arvo i'm going rabbit and fox hunting. there has been pigs getting around there too. would dearly love to arrow a pig tomorrow and/or a fox for that matter!
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

perry

#20 Post by perry » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:38 am

I have the last 2 weeks in October off on Leave. Plan is too head down the Northern New England for a couple of nights and see if I can find the Fallow Deer I spotted down there last Hunt. Plenty of Goats the odd Pig and a Rabbit Warren next to the old Homestead we camp up in to set a few Traps

Clincher is I have developed a Heel Spur/associated Planter Fasciitis, this is the start of the 11th week since it first started up and walking that rough country will prove impossible. Lets hope I can get it cleared up by then as I don't get many oportunities to Hunt now days

regards Jacko.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#21 Post by bigbob » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:32 am

Certainly hope you get that under control, be a right bummer to miss a hunt with an ailment.
razorbows.com

andy80

#22 Post by andy80 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:35 pm

chasing rabbits, foxes, goats and maybe a pig. Only got 2 months to wait. bring it on. try sneak in a few hare hunts in the mean time

SouthTexasPighunter

#23 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Been after Doves with longbow and flu-flus and have a few pig hunts then in Oct deer season starts here. Also going after gar in the river in a couple weeks. Turkey starts in Oct also so i will try and get a fall gobbler. Rabbits whenever I go out scouting. I have been looking for a badger for a personal mount but I think they are all nocturnal now due to the 108 degree heat during the day. Keith Lee(pm for phone number) give me a call when you get to Texas if your close maybe we can meet and I will fix you a meal, Tex Mex or Tex BBQ.
God Bless.
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

Brett Finger

#24 Post by Brett Finger » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:41 pm

me and the boy are takeing Gringa down to a plump goat property i have in a few weeks... ,shes got good numbers of Pigs and a few Deer floating around... 8)

Bretto....
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

wal

#25 Post by wal » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:04 am

Hey Jacko, feel for you with the plantar mate had it for 18 months and it's a proper bitch, tried the taping ..... useless, tried the inserts in shoes ..... useless, cortisone injections ...... lasted 3 weeks and hurt like buggery. I bought some decent work shoes from athletes foot around Christmas (Ascent) and loved them , feet felt not to bad during the week and would then fall to bits over a weekend, about 6 weeks a go I bought a pair of the Ascent work boots as a hunting boot, and love them, at the same time I started sitting of a night rolling a golf ball under my foot and then a tennis ball when it gets to sore, I think in the last 6 weeks it has been better than anytime in the last 12 months, the golf ball really seems to work and stretch the arch well.

Cheers

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:44 am

Well I probably won't get out until next year but that will give me time to learn to shoot straight; need to after the last trip. :D

STP, Keith means Texas, a small town near the Queensland New South Wales border and not your state of Texas. :D

Jeff