go figure

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

piggy

go figure

#1 Post by piggy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Having not been out to my main Sambar spot for many months I ventured out this afternoon to see whats going on, plenty of fresh sign and some nice rubs about indicated a few deer were around.
Attachments
IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1563.jpg (132.77 KiB) Viewed 3631 times

piggy

Re: go figure

#2 Post by piggy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:34 pm

After having a bit of a look about I ventured over to my tree stand, put on my harness and climbed up and got settled, sitting there the wind died off and a light drizzle began as the cold started to bite in.
The drizzle turned to light rain, the wind picked up and then died off again. I could see the Roo's coming out to feed and could hear animals moving about behind my stand, the roo's out in the open appeared very nervous and kept looking into the scrub which I would normally read that as a deer is in there but they were looking to the same side as my stand. The wind was good so I don't think it was my scent but when it still who knows what and where your scent goes.
It was near dusk and I was considering getting down from my stand when I noticed a young Sambar Stag with antlers in the mid teens in inches walk out through one of the clearings directly in front of my stand crossed the 5 or 6 meter clearing and start to smell the base of a tree at the edge of the tee tree.
To my surprise he decided to bed right there directly in front of my stand.

I took this photo just before he bedded please excuse the poor image bad light, drizzle you know how it is
Attachments
IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1565.jpg (102.38 KiB) Viewed 3627 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Man they don't use small rub trees do they? :shock:

Jeff

piggy

#4 Post by piggy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Mate there only medium sized rubs will see if I can find some pictures of some big ones.

Now this is where my dilemma begins, I would not normally take a shot a such a small stag, he is a little out of my "normal" or my comfort range for shooting at about 30 + odd meters but I have my new "Cajin" longbow made for my but a bowyer I met while hunting in the US and timber arrows and it would be cool to take a deer with that set up!
My other problem was I was freezing wet and it would be dark soon and couldn't leave the stand without the deer seeing me and I try to make sure NO deer sees me getting into or out of my stands they are smart enough as it is without me educating them.

What's one to do?

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 pm

you must be very patient sitting in a stand in the rain and cold, good pics mate.......

piggy

#6 Post by piggy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm sure you know how it is mate as you get older you get wiser and Lazier :)

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 pm

:lol: :lol:

slvrslngr

#8 Post by slvrslngr » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 pm

Pretty cool to see that guy! Looks like your stand is in the right area for sure. Hope you passed on the shot, if it's outside your normal shooting distance and close to dark, as well as raining, best to just enjoy show and catch up with him another day. Atleast for me, if my brain isn't screaming SHOOT! I pass on the shot. JMHO. Thanks for sharing!

looseplucker

#9 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:56 pm

piggy wrote:Having not been out to my main Sambar spot for many months I ventured out this afternoon to see whats going on, plenty of fresh sign and some nice rubs about indicated a few deer were around.
Well Paul, I reckon I would have seen those rubs.... :D
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

excelpoint

#10 Post by excelpoint » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Nice mate. I would hate to have such a dilemma :wink:

piggy

#11 Post by piggy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 pm

One way or the other I had to get the Deer to move on, studying his position and the way he was lying I felt confident that I could get a shot away, I was not concerned with my horizontal accuracy only the vertical and I figured buy the way he was lying I would either miss completely ( shoot too short) or hit the money.
Drawing my Cajin lady I released and watched my arrow fly like a dart straight towards the deer and imbed itself in the dirt right under the Deers chest, he jumped up moved about 4 meters behind the tee tree and started wondering "what the", I could not see the Stag now but knew he was still there.
Quietly climbing down from my stand as I started to make my way over to where he was He let out a loud HONK and crashed off into the scrub.
Looking at my arrow sticking out of the dirt on a 45 degree angle it was inside his bedding patch and a through inspection of the arrow revealed nothing but dirt.

looseplucker

#12 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:25 am

Great story Paul - I've been sending the link to my tree-standing hunting buddies in Kentucky - they love this stuff.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:00 pm

That would have had the heart pumping for awhile mate. One consolation; at least it was a good miss and not a bad hit.

Jeff

wishsong

#14 Post by wishsong » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Next time Mate ! Cajun Lady will deliver the goods for sure ... looking forward to pics of the occasion !

piggy

#15 Post by piggy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:That would have had the heart pumping for awhile mate. One consolation; at least it was a good miss and not a bad hit.

Jeff
Yes Jeff I would rather have a complete miss than a poor hit any day!

piggy

#16 Post by piggy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:38 pm

wishsong wrote:Next time Mate ! Cajun Lady will deliver the goods for sure ... looking forward to pics of the occasion !
Mate it will be a dual credit deer as there your timber shafts so I figure we have to share the spoils.

Benny Nganabbarru

#17 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:57 pm

It is such a quest you dedicated deer hunters are on. My hat is off to you. Thanks for sharing those pictures.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

piggy

#18 Post by piggy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:24 pm

Ben Kleinig wrote:It is such a quest you dedicated deer hunters are on. My hat is off to you. Thanks for sharing those pictures.