Testing my African set up.

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

wayoutwest

Testing my African set up.

#1 Post by wayoutwest » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:45 pm

I went out a few weeks ago to see how my final set up for my trip to Africa preformed and to say im happy with set up is an understatement , one other thing im happy about is no more tuning ( I hate tuning my bow so frustrating)
Anyway first morning see's me at my favourite mill for 4 hours after only seeing 5 goats i decided to head back to camp and head out to the hills and flats near were i was camped.
After a few unsuccessful stalks and seeing a lot of potential i snuck into 15 meters and took a downhill shot on a young billy first shot went low so i thought it never don't any damage as he only ran another 5 mtr so i stick another one on the string and let fly connecting him square in the shoulders resulting in a pass through and a quick death, on inspection i see the first shot had left a gash about 5 inch long down his brisket it looked like someone had hit him with an axe.
He's only a little fella so i carried almost all of him out for the owners dogs.
The seedy little moustache looked worse in the picture then real life.

Next day i went for look around a mill that has no ground cover at all, as i was making up my mind a large mob started feeding over a saddle more or less leaving me out in the open the only cover i had was an old busted loading ramp about 20 mtr it was an uncomfortable waiting for the goats to come close enough for a shot as the ground is covered in an iron stone type rock as far as the eye can see.
After about 2 hours they finally started to feed my way across to the trough in the lead was a billy i thought would easily go trophy class, as he turned facing me i lifted my in anticipation for him to turn broadside but i saw movement and lifted his head for a better look i thought now or never and sent a shaft towards him collecting him front on in ulna/blade bone one of the hardest places on any animal, to my surprise as he turned i see my shaft pop out the other side almost a pass through. I was as happy as a pig in crap at the penetration and how the hunt unfolded i wast at all disappointed when i realised the billy would fall a bit short of trophy class, one thing that really attracts me to certain billies is not the size but the shape and i really love the shape of this guy he ended up goin 92 dp and 29 1/2 inch wide.
the hole you can see is the exit hole.

The bow i was using and will be taking to Africa with me is a Blackwidow PSA V 58 inch 66#@27'' Arrows are Traditional only carbons with 3 gpi weight tubes 160 gr magnus 1's with 100 gr steel adapters for a total arrow weight of around 666gr.

Gringa Bows

Re: Testing my African set up.

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Good hunting and top pics mate......good luck in Africa....

Dryfired

#3 Post by Dryfired » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Good stuff! Nice hunting, must take a lot of patience to wait out the goats in the open like that. Sounds like those arrows will do just fine in Africa, since they punch through billy goat bone and all!

Nutgrass

#4 Post by Nutgrass » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Looks good mate. Africa hey 8) Can't wait to hear all about that :mrgreen:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

texx

#5 Post by texx » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:02 pm

mate that last photo is an absolute cracker of a pic.
always seems to happen when its least expected most

Benny Nganabbarru

#6 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Too deadly, Luke! Happy for you!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks for the story and as others have said, all the best for your hunt in Africa. Take plenty of photos.

That last photo is a good one for sure.

Jeff

ivorycollector

#8 Post by ivorycollector » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:54 pm

When did you snug out Luke? Looks like your set up is prety much ready. Obviously not going to Kal with us? Well done on those goats mate. Counting down to Nam!?

aroadik

#9 Post by aroadik » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:56 am

Looks like you have you settup sorted, now stick with it and do not change anything, Good luck ! btw-you look a little "Mexican" :D

wayoutwest

#10 Post by wayoutwest » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Pete ive gotten that a lot
Siew ho i showed you the pics about 4 weeks ago, and dont worrie mate im bustin to get over there and i love the look of them broadheads ill have to try them over easter.
Thanks for the reply's fellas.

Guy Layton

#11 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:30 pm

Nice work mate...!

I will be looking forward to reading about your African adventure....

Keep us posted...!

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

dmm

#12 Post by dmm » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:19 am

A successful hunt.
I see you are wearing the Australian Blackfoot camo. How do you rate it?
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

wayoutwest

#13 Post by wayoutwest » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:00 pm

The Blackfoot camo would have to be my favourite ive even got my mate lookin around for a set of his own.

UPTHETOP

#14 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Hey Luke that set up should do you well in Africa for most game hey. You are so lucky to be going on a trip of a life time so young in life, take plenty of photos so you can remember it when your old and sitting on the porch like the rest of us.

Best of luck.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

wayoutwest

#15 Post by wayoutwest » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks wayno, i am lucky, lucky to have mates like Ivorycollector to invite me.

aroadik

#16 Post by aroadik » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:21 am

UPTHETOP wrote:Hey Luke that set up should do you well in Africa for most game hey. You are so lucky to be going on a trip of a life time so young in life, take plenty of photos so you can remember it when your old and sitting on the porch like the rest of us.

Best of luck.

Cheers Wayno
"Porch" carn't afford a porch on a pension :lol: how's that quinn limbed recurve you built working out ? cheers Pete.

wayoutwest

#17 Post by wayoutwest » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Pete PM the people you wanna talk too, dont hijack threads. i will break youre old busted ar$e hips.

aroadik

#18 Post by aroadik » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:44 am

Grasshopper (Mexican type) you are so persuasive, see ya when I get back - for a shooting lesson :D

wayoutwest

#19 Post by wayoutwest » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:33 am

No worries pete good luck mate.

perry

#20 Post by perry » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:09 pm

"666" grain Arrows - the number of the Beast! Ominous :evil:

Good luck on your trip

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin