A bit scary - if true

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

robmoore

A bit scary - if true

#1 Post by robmoore » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:41 pm

This photo was emailed to me.

The message said
This guy was hunting by himself when he downed this elk. He took this picture with self-timer on his camera. He states he about died when he looked at the pictures the next morning!

No names have been mentioned and I couldn't trace the source - so it may be true - or I suspect it could be fake - but it seemed like something worth posting for others to see.

Bob
Attachments
Surprise.jpg
Surprise.jpg (170.73 KiB) Viewed 2784 times

Dryfired

Re: A bit scary - if true

#2 Post by Dryfired » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 pm

At the very least the eye shine on the cougar is fake. The cougar is also not in hunting mode, it appears to be ambling carelessly minding its own business. Photoshop is a great program and easy to use ;)

I wish we had big cats in Oz (apart from those black panthers ;))

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:58 pm

yeah that pic was on another site awhile ago,from memory it was done with photo bucket

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:30 pm

But if it was true it, would be scarey alright. :shock:

Kanin-maskwa

#5 Post by Kanin-maskwa » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:17 pm

A few years ago I was stalking a big bull moose in the Canadian Rockies. The moose at one point circled around and came back across his own tracks. When my buddy and I reached that spot ( we reckon we were about 250 m and closing in) we saw amongst our own prints fresh very large cougar tracks following our prints.
There's nothing quite like being the hunter and realizing you can easily become prey.
One of the things I miss about not living in Canada anymore. I absolutely love the predators Ie cougar bears wolves etc. It just feels like you are more involved in the food chain and the cycles of nature. A good thing in my mind is having to personally earn your position in the food chain.
Btw by the time I worked into position for a shot on the moose light was fading and the opportunity for a clean shot did not present itself. When we got back to the vehicle I grabbed my rifle and shot off a shot in the air. Mmmmm what ya know in the thick push near our 4x4 where we had just come through something shot off through the bush as fast as lightning. I reckon that cougar was hot on our tail even though we continually kept a look out and did not see him once, but we could feel him.
I should point out normally cougar are not a big issue, but get a big brave cat like this sneaking in from behind and they mean to take something down.
Ahhhhhh good fun :D

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:56 am

Call me a wuss but I would be to attractive a meal to turn down so I feel no loss at not having large predatory cats in the bush. If there were hunting would be more strictly controlled and really only affordable to wealthy blow ins from other countries.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

hazard

#7 Post by hazard » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Hey Kev
I thought you would just want to stroke its pretty neck :wink:
Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

muntries

#8 Post by muntries » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:41 am

Yikes, that picture gives me the jeebies!

I dont think it's a fake, the animal is the right proportions for its distance, the eyeshine looks spot on and that stance is all too familiar (I'm a reluctant owner of two moggies) with that look of apprehention. Probably not hunting the hunter but just tracking in a hope of picking up an easy meal, why waste energy with something alive when you can just nick someone elses food. The cat is also behind some of the vegetation and without those dodgy blurred edges you get on photoshop, not to mention the shadows. I reckon it's real.

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

perry

#9 Post by perry » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:47 pm

This photo has been around both Bow and Firearm forums for several years now and the general concensis has been it's been photoshopped. No matter though, the appeal of this photo is that the scenario is possible. If you can believe the stories about Big Black Cats :roll: particularly in the Southern States of Australia perhaps we'll have a home grown photo featuring a Victorian hunter, a Sambar Stag and said Big Black Cat

Kanin-maskwa, a Cougar on your tail :shock: Beatifull animal, bloody hell !!!, too close !!! I've had a few similar encounters with Wild Dogs here and I do know what you mean by "you can feel them" If you could post a new thread or 2 of your Hunting and Outdoor experiences in Canada I would be one of many fascinated readers.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

matt61

#10 Post by matt61 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:08 am

Hi All
I am not that good with computer to photoshop pictures,but how do you get the Puma's head
behind the tree branches in the original photo.
Matt