A hunt with Yowie and Spearchucker

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Gringa Bows

A hunt with Yowie and Spearchucker

#1 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:59 pm

My little story
Keith (Yowie) and i got to SpearChuckers house friday arvo,loaded up Chucks ute and trailer with all our gear for our trip to Bollon chasin goats,it was good to catch up with Darren, his lovely wife Tish and their two kids,when the gear was loaded we had a coffee and then the kids yelled out that dinner was ready ,i've said this before but i'll say it again ,tish is a great cook,T Bone and veg.and then desert Yummy.we had a good nights sleep and left late the next morning,we didn't want to leave too early because they had over 40mm of rain the day before,and wanted to give it a little bit of time to dry enough for us to get onto the property without getting bogged,everything went to plan and we got to the campsite early arfternoon and set up camp,while we were doing this, a little goat came almost into camp,........
Keith (Yowie) and i got to SpearChuckers house friday arvo,loaded up Chucks ute and trailer with all our gear for our trip to Bollon chasin goats,it was good to catch up with Darren, his lovely wife Tish and their two kids,when the gear was loaded we had a coffee and then the kids yelled out that dinner was ready ,i've said this before but i'll say it again ,tish is a great cook,T Bone and veg.and then desert Yummy.we had a good nights sleep and left late the next morning,we didn't want to leave too early because they had over 40mm of rain the day before,and wanted to give it a little bit of time to dry enough for us to get onto the property without getting bogged,everything went to plan and we got to the campsite early arfternoon and set up camp,while we were doing this, a little goat came almost into camp,........
PA161691.jpg (194.39 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
Camp was set up so we had a cup of coffee then camo'd up  and went for our first hunt,Darren and i drove along a track for a few hundred yards and spotted goats not far away so we went in and had a look,there was a nice billy trying to get to a nanny so Darren sent me in for a stalk,i got into 10yrds a couple of times but could'nt get a clear shot ,so we followed them through the mulger for awhile ,then we saw another mob go through the fence and into another patch of mulger ,so Darren said he'd go get the ute and that i should go into tyhe patch of trees and have a look,i got in a bit but could see the goats a few hundred yrds away running,and it was getting close to dark so i headed back to where i left Darren and saw a young billy,so i decided that he was going to be the ice breaker,so i got a little tree between me and him stalked into less then 10 yrds and put an arrow into his boiler he just stood there for a couple of seconds,took a few staggering steps and fell over finished,Darren got back with the ute ,and he took photo's and shook my hand,only a young goat but he was my first longbow billy,the ice was broken.we went back to camp and Keith was there with a set of billy horns as well so it was a good first day
Camp was set up so we had a cup of coffee then camo'd up and went for our first hunt,Darren and i drove along a track for a few hundred yards and spotted goats not far away so we went in and had a look,there was a nice billy trying to get to a nanny so Darren sent me in for a stalk,i got into 10yrds a couple of times but could'nt get a clear shot ,so we followed them through the mulger for awhile ,then we saw another mob go through the fence and into another patch of mulger ,so Darren said he'd go get the ute and that i should go into tyhe patch of trees and have a look,i got in a bit but could see the goats a few hundred yrds away running,and it was getting close to dark so i headed back to where i left Darren and saw a young billy,so i decided that he was going to be the ice breaker,so i got a little tree between me and him stalked into less then 10 yrds and put an arrow into his boiler he just stood there for a couple of seconds,took a few staggering steps and fell over finished,Darren got back with the ute ,and he took photo's and shook my hand,only a young goat but he was my first longbow billy,the ice was broken.we went back to camp and Keith was there with a set of billy horns as well so it was a good first day
IMG_0516[1].JPG (105.86 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
day two Darren took us for a drive around the area ,we would stop and then listen for rutting billies we pulled up at an area that Darren called the M.C.G because it looked like a big cricket stadium,and there was goats rutting all over the place,the three of us stalked in for a better look,again Darren sent me in first because he wanted me to get a decent billy,i kept following the goats through the mulger,waiting for a chance,but the nannies spotted me and were on edge ,so i gave that mob a miss and headed for another rutting mob,i got to about 18yrds and saw a nice billy trying to get to a nanny,i waited till he turned side on and put an arra into his chest he didnt go far and was down.i whistled out to the boys to come and take pics for me,but they were somewhere else chasing other mobs,so i got my camera from the ute that was a km away,should have put it in my back pack ,and took my photo's ,removed his head and headed back to the ute when we got back to camp keith did a rough measure and he went 100 and 4/8ths my first trophy class animal with a longbow,i was rapt.i think Darren and keith were nearly as happy as i was.
day two Darren took us for a drive around the area ,we would stop and then listen for rutting billies we pulled up at an area that Darren called the M.C.G because it looked like a big cricket stadium,and there was goats rutting all over the place,the three of us stalked in for a better look,again Darren sent me in first because he wanted me to get a decent billy,i kept following the goats through the mulger,waiting for a chance,but the nannies spotted me and were on edge ,so i gave that mob a miss and headed for another rutting mob,i got to about 18yrds and saw a nice billy trying to get to a nanny,i waited till he turned side on and put an arra into his chest he didnt go far and was down.i whistled out to the boys to come and take pics for me,but they were somewhere else chasing other mobs,so i got my camera from the ute that was a km away,should have put it in my back pack ,and took my photo's ,removed his head and headed back to the ute when we got back to camp keith did a rough measure and he went 100 and 4/8ths my first trophy class animal with a longbow,i was rapt.i think Darren and keith were nearly as happy as i was.
Rod's-longbow-billy---web.jpg (162.59 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
day three Darren decided he was going to hunt as well, now that i got a good goat,we walked from camp this time and only went a few hundred yrds and found some rutting goats ,so Darren went in while keith and i waited out of the road,Darren waited for a fair while till the right moment,then shot the goat with his recurve,and it dropped almost on the spot, a nice trophy class billy...........
day three Darren decided he was going to hunt as well, now that i got a good goat,we walked from camp this time and only went a few hundred yrds and found some rutting goats ,so Darren went in while keith and i waited out of the road,Darren waited for a fair while till the right moment,then shot the goat with his recurve,and it dropped almost on the spot, a nice trophy class billy...........
IMG_05691 2.jpg (175.49 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
while keith and him were setting the goat set up for photo's i thought i would have a go at some other goats near by,they were rutting in the open,so i just slowly walked up to them ,got within 15yrds and put an arrow through the chest of a black billy,he did'nt even twitch and kept trying to get to the nanny,for a second then realised something was'nt right,so walked a little bit and fell over dead.......Pic of my black billy         Keith went for a hunt while Darren and i went back to camp,he turned up a while later and he'd got another billy...........................
while keith and him were setting the goat set up for photo's i thought i would have a go at some other goats near by,they were rutting in the open,so i just slowly walked up to them ,got within 15yrds and put an arrow through the chest of a black billy,he did'nt even twitch and kept trying to get to the nanny,for a second then realised something was'nt right,so walked a little bit and fell over dead.......Pic of my black billy Keith went for a hunt while Darren and i went back to camp,he turned up a while later and he'd got another billy...........................
PA181745 1.jpg (173 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
later that day we drove around to another area,and it was Darrens turn for a shot,we heard rutting so we went in and there was another billy almost identical to the last goat he got,it presented a shot and Darren put an arrow through its heart and it went down quick.   .....
later that day we drove around to another area,and it was Darrens turn for a shot,we heard rutting so we went in and there was another billy almost identical to the last goat he got,it presented a shot and Darren put an arrow through its heart and it went down quick. .....
PA181753 1.jpg (162.53 KiB) Viewed 4506 times

Gringa Bows

Re: A hunt with Yowie and Spearchucker

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:59 pm

day 4...... i went walking myself looking for goats,i wanted to get one better than my biggest one,and i found a black billy that i thought was a lot better,but he wasnt rutting and was very switched on,so i decided he was the goat i wanted so i tried to get in close enough for a decent shot.. i ended up following this goat through the mulger for a lot of k's ,but it was'nt meant to be....................i was pretty happy with what i did get..................thank you Darren for a top trip and for giving up a lot of your hunting time helping me ,so i could get my first longbow billy and my first longbow trophy class billy.........and thank you Tish for the great home cooked food ,Darren and i had to near fight keith for those cornflake cookies.
bows used ..............keith was using a Gringa ...Darren was using a Mark Kimber recurve............and i was using a bow i finished a couple of days before the trip.

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:34 pm

Mate! You got your Gringa Billy! You beauty, hey? Everyone seems to have done alright, hunt wise, so that's gotta be great! Thanks for the pics, ( Gee, the land looks good in it, plenty of greenery) and it's good to see your trip stories are getting gradually more detailed and a little longer! :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

wal

#4 Post by wal » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:21 am

Go the Gringa man, that is a great write up Rod, well done for that and well done to all of yez on a good trip.

Cheers
Wayne

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks guy's ,i thought it was a bit long winded :lol: i wrote a longer version then deleted it because i thought it was too long :roll: the Gringa bows accounted for another 5 ferals :D i've got a few more photo's to put on later so if your not bored now you will be later. :mrgreen:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:11 pm

A BIG CONGRATS Rod on your first longbow billies - excellent mate!!! I thought you might have at least raised a smile though. :lol:
Congrats to the other fellas as well. It looks like it was a great few days away. Yep Tish is a great cook, I have sampled some of her excellent cooking on a number of occasions. :D

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:15 pm

this is a pic of my no.3 billy.
Attachments
IMG_05721[2].jpg
IMG_05721[2].jpg (160.7 KiB) Viewed 4448 times

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks Jeff,but i was smilin same as in thge last pic. :mrgreen:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:02 pm

So much excitement you were fallin' asleep I see mate. :lol:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 pm

nah i think that was a look of pain,bending my knees :shock: :lol:

bigbob

#11 Post by bigbob » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Onya Rod, Great story and great result. Big admirer of the bows of yours that I have seen on these pages, so a fitting reward to get a trophy class billy.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

NORTHOZ

#12 Post by NORTHOZ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Good stuff big fella :D

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Thank you ,Bob and Fletch :D

Nutgrass

#14 Post by Nutgrass » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Top story mate & some good pics to go with it. Glad you got the monkey off your back & nailed a couple of billies.

Geez you must hate my stories then :wink: The more detail the better, I like it when I feel like I am on the edge of my seat as I read it :mrgreen:
Good work guys 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

terryzac

#15 Post by terryzac » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:09 pm

now thats how to tell a story. job on the first longbow goat mate

terry

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm

thanks Garry and Terry ,i've only just begun,i'll put more photo's on as the ole giorl feels like it....and i hope Spear chucker puts some on too,just not the embarrising one's ay buddy, friend. :roll:

terryzac

#17 Post by terryzac » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:54 pm

not darren he would'nt do that

Gringa Bows

#18 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:58 pm

No he's a wonderful man. :shock: :lol:

Nutgrass

#19 Post by Nutgrass » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Does the Mighty Spearchucker appear to be using some wood look a like carbon arrows :shock: :lol:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Gringa Bows

#20 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm not sayin nuffin :roll:

Nephew

#21 Post by Nephew » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Hey, if they plough through, who cares what they are made of? ( RUN! Here comes the" pitch fork and torch" mob! :lol: )

Gringa Bows

#22 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:42 pm

WHO'S GOT THE KEROSENE AND MATCHES,look out Coochee :lol:

Nephew

#23 Post by Nephew » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 pm

SANCTUARY!! SANCTUARY!! I have committed bold heresy and am to hang!! :lol:

Gringa Bows

#24 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:48 pm

HUH :shock: :lol:

Nephew

#25 Post by Nephew » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 pm

When the mobs (or the law) after ya, head for a church and ask for sanctuary and they'll hide and protect ya! Well.. not these days, now they'll just call security and have you removed! :D

Gringa Bows

#26 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Yowie cooking tea first night.
Attachments
PA161709.jpg
PA161709.jpg (139.1 KiB) Viewed 4379 times

Gringa Bows

#27 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Ahhhhh Craig i was joking :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#28 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:57 pm

No wonder you had to take a trailer as well. :shock: :lol:

Carbon arras, yuck!!! :|

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#29 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:58 pm

i'm just going to put on pics for you'se to look at no particular order.

Nephew

#30 Post by Nephew » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:01 pm

That's a stylish set up there, Rod! Nice kitchen! :)