Cunnamulla hunt story continued! (Pic Heavy)

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Cunnamulla hunt story continued! (Pic Heavy)

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:56 am

I think Craig did an excellent job at telling his hunting story but I will not even try and go into such detail.

I will just say that it was a real pleasure to take him out bush and to see him take his first kill with a bow n arra, very well done mate!!! :D

As Craig has mentioned big Rod came along as we had wanted to organize such a trip for some time.

My son Jay (Jeff jnr) met us out there as he works in the mines at Blackwater and travelled directly to Cunnamulla. It was our first hunt together since we were out there for his schoolies week nearly nine years ago‚ seems such a long time ago now. I was looking forward to spending this time with him. As you will see he was the odd one out shooting some monstrosity of a thing called a Hoyt Carbon Matrix or some such name which he got just prior to the hunt (it was his 1st Wedding Anniversary present from his wife). :D

Now for a brief outline of the rest of the hunt. The last few seasons have been very good out that way and I have never seen the place looking so good. It was only six years or so ago that the property owner had to shoot around 12,000 head of sheep because of the drought; how the seasons change. Whilst this is great for the Cocky it isn't so great for us looking for pigs and goats as they spread out near and far while the good conditions allow.
You wouldn't think it but this is actually an air strip on the sounthern part of the property.
You wouldn't think it but this is actually an air strip on the sounthern part of the property.
IMG_0586.jpg (115.16 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Things were very green.
Things were very green.
IMG_1136.jpg (159.18 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
A creek that had flowed recently.
A creek that had flowed recently.
IMG_0582.jpg (130.43 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
We had five days hunting and I spent the first four acting mostly as guide and videographer. It was a pleasure to do so and I get nearly as much enjoyment from that as I do from doing the shooting myself.
Our transport for the trip.
Our transport for the trip.
IMG_0543.jpg (169.92 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Dinner time.
Dinner time.
IMG_0589.jpg (188.94 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Tasted alright!
Tasted alright!
IMG_0594.jpg (156.47 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
There were four main objectives for the trip; have an enjoyable time bush with good mates, get Craig his first kill, get big Rod a billy with his longbow and get Jay his first ever pig. We managed three out of the four as Rod missed out (missed numerous times actually) on getting a billy. :D

As you know Craig got his first kill on the first morning. The next day (I think it was anyway) Rod and Craig had a good stalk or two and on one occasion they were both in amongst a mob of about forty to fifty goats. I will just say that both had a couple of shots that all missed‚ don't worry fellas as I think we all know how that feels. :lol:

We actually did a bit of wildlife rescue this trip also. First it was a half grown billy caught by its leg in a fence. We don't think it had been there a long time but if we hadn't come along he would have died a horrible death. Jay and I managed to spread the wire strands apart enough to release the little blokes leg and off he limped into the bush.

Next we were looking around an old sheering shed and Craig spotted a little rabbit stuck down in a concrete tank of some sort. Jay got in and got the little fella and he was a bit on the skinny side. After taking a few photos we let him go and he didn't waste any time seeking refuge under the old shed‚ I think he would have enjoyed a good feed later that day.
Jay in the tank where the little rabbit had fallen in.
Jay in the tank where the little rabbit had fallen in.
IMG_0525.jpg (169.55 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
It was only a young one.
It was only a young one.
IMG_0527.jpg (130.66 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Of interest was the amount of grasshoppers on some of the tracks. Apparently they aren't locusts but are still building up in such large numbers in some areas that plans are being made to try and cull them.
They were thicker then this in places.
They were thicker then this in places.
IMG_0509.jpg (168.07 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
On the third day, after his couple of blown opportunities, Rod finally got a goat. We were driving down to one of my favourite spots to try and locate a pig or two. On the way we saw a few mobs of goats which resulted in a couple of failed stalks. A little further on we saw a mob of goats that had been bedded jump up and do the bolt; however one remained lying on the ground. It looked like a billy so I told Rod to get in there and have a go. I was immediately greeted with three responses more or less saying I was nuts as the goat was obviously dead. I said I reckoned it was fast asleep and again told Rod to go and shoot it. He reluctantly decided to go and have a look see and was followed by Jay with the video camera. Craig and I stayed back and watched.

Ol' Mate Rod seemed to take things rather casually at first but once he was in close under ten metres he suddenly seemed to get serious (the apparently not so dead goat flicked its ear). When he was about five metres from the goat we saw him draw back and shoot and we saw a cloud of dust rise into the air. I thought he had missed it as the goat also jumped up in the air‚ very quickly I might add. It took a few steps and stopped, got the wobbles and fell over dead for real this time! As it turned out it wasn't a billy but a very big old nanny though it doesn't look so big in the photo next to Big Rod. I can tell you I sure made the most of letting those boys know they were wrong and the guide was right about the goat just being asleep. :P 8) :lol:
Rod and the sleeping goat!!!
Rod and the sleeping goat!!!
IMG_0572.jpg (188.72 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
We reached the pig spot but they were rather scarce. We spotted a couple of sows so I followed along behind Jay with the video camera. This spot was rather open and the first one gave us the slip. We then circled around again to get the wind right and Jay staked in on the second one. He got into a bit over twenty metres and felt confident of the shot. As he drew back I turned the camera from him to the sow and the arra was soon on its way and zipped straight through her. She made a quick run out into the open and collapsed. We both were ecstatic as this was Jay's very first pig taken with a bow n arra - a big congrats son!
Jay and his first bow shot pig.
Jay and his first bow shot pig.
IMG_0575.jpg (179.21 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Late the next afternoon we stopped to have a hunt for a rabbit around the ruins of an old homestead. There weren't a lot around but Jay managed to topple one over from around thirty plus metres. He was rapped as it was again a first for him.
Another first for Jay.
Another first for Jay.
IMG_0599.jpg (175.42 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Not much happened the next day but by the fifth and last day there was some rain overnight and it drizzled most of the day. We ended up in a valley where the Cocky had mustered 300 goats the second day we were there. I thought there might still be a few goats tucked up in there out of the wind and drizzle and there was a cave up there that I wanted to show the fellas anyway.

We drove up the valley and could see some goats feeding on the side of the ridge. We split up with Rod going left me the middle and Jay and Craig to the right. Since it was the last day I thought I would try and get one using my Osage Orange self bow.
Looking towards some of the ridges.
Looking towards some of the ridges.
IMG_1200.jpg (116.25 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
A more open patch on the side of the ridge.
A more open patch on the side of the ridge.
IMG_1203.jpg (258.39 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Ol' Mate Rod with his 'GRINGA' longbow.
Ol' Mate Rod with his 'GRINGA' longbow.
IMG_1197.jpg (169.95 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Craig up on the ridge.
Craig up on the ridge.
IMG_1199.jpg (109.02 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
As it turned out we all managed to get within 20 metres of goats but it was hard to get a clear shot through the Butter Bush. I managed to get into 15 metres of a nanny standing broadside; I drew back and promptly sent an arra left behind her. My bow arm had collapsed a little as I wasn't used to the eight pounds extra draw weight of my self bow‚ that's my excuse anyway. :oops:

I made my way further up and along the ridge and got well within 10 metres of more goats but they were in the Butter Bush so no shot could be taken. I tried to get closer but they realized something wasn't right and moved on.

I could see a few goats bedded further along so I made my way over for a look see. I got to a little under twenty metres of them‚ four old nannys - but they were slightly above me and there was only one low bush between me and them. I thought the moment I stepped out from behind the bush that was concealing me from their view they would be straight onto me and do the bolt. I thought what the heck and crouched down and moved slowly forward. Heck they never even noticed‚ my super duper checked shirt camo was working wonders! :mrgreen:

I made it to the low bush only 10 metres from the closest nanny (my intended target) and they still had no idea I was there. I slowly rose up, drew back and promptly sent an arra over her back‚ what!!! :shock: She jumped up and stood quartering away and I quickly had another arra on the string and this time I didn't miss. She ran off and died in a clump of bushes. I was relieved and happy.
The nanny taken with my Osage Orange self bow.
The nanny taken with my Osage Orange self bow.
IMG_0603.jpg (168.8 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
In the meantime the goats had moved up onto the flat-top ridge and I saw Jay stalk into just under twenty metres of a billy and put an arra through him tight behind the shoulder and he ran forward about thirty metres and collapsed.
Father and son - love this photo.
Father and son - love this photo.
IMG_0621.jpg (147.04 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Not to miss out on the action Rod shot another nanny very soon after. Things just didn't come together for Craig however.
Rod and a nanny taken on top of the ridge.
Rod and a nanny taken on top of the ridge.
IMG_0600.jpg (167.24 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
We took photos of Rod's nanny and Jay and I then went to photograph our goats while Rod and Craig went to have a look for more.

About an hour later we met back at the Cruiser. Apparently as Rod and Craig were walking back they saw a mob of goats walking past a few metres in front of it'‚ Rod reckons he should have just waited there. :lol:
The mob of goats walking past the Cruiser.
The mob of goats walking past the Cruiser.
IMG_1186.jpg (205.5 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Well that is a very brief account of our five days hunting. Not a lot of game taken but we sure had a ball and will have some fond memories for years to come.

Thanks fellas I really enjoyed ya company.

Jeff

gundy

Re: Cunnamulla hunt story continued! (Pic Heavy)

#2 Post by gundy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 am

As usual, photos and story were excellent Jeff! :biggrin:

Looks like a great time was had by all!

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:42 am

That tells the tale alright! Man, I wish we were still there. I'll never forget it.The whole week was just great. Of course, the company made it what it was. :biggrin:
In years to come when they speak at my funeral about the happier times of my life, that trip will be mentioned!
That shot of the goats walking past the car turned out way better than I had imagined, Jeff. :biggrin:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks Guy; yep it sure was a good time. :biggrin:
That shot of the goats walking past the car turned out way better than I had imagined, Jeff.
Yeah mate it's a good one; I just cropped it in a little. It's a great momento of the trip. :smile: A few of the other photos were ones you took and they look great also. I'm glad you took the G9 for a walk.

Jeff

Nephew

#5 Post by Nephew » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:53 am

Mate, you can't go wrong with that camera. :wink:
Hey, notice the goose with the jacket on OVER the camo up on the ridge? :lol: On the last arvo I worked out, "Oh, the jacket goes UNDER the camo pullover!" :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Dodger

#6 Post by Dodger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Jeff, thanks for the excellent pics and tale.

I may just have a stab at a small or medium sized boar this coming weekend. My bow and arrows haven't arrived but I have borrowed a 40# Samick Sage T/D recurve just in case I come across some whilst fishing.

You mentioned about your bow arm collapsing as you weren't used to the additional poundage. How long does it normally take for the muscles to get used to an additional 10 lbs.? I ask as I would be graduating from 40 to 50 lbs. when the new bow arrives.

Dodger

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:28 pm

Dodger wrote:How long does it normally take for the muscles to get used to an additional 10 lbs.?
I would say at least a month of daily practice and even more. My usual longbow is 59# and the self bow was 67# and I never practiced for the heavier weight and that is why I had that little problem. I just decided to use the self bow the last couple of days of the trip.

All the best for the weekend mate; I hope you manage a stalk or two on some pigs.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Good story and pics Jeff,yeah i did blow a few stalks because of the usual wind turn,and too many eye balls,but i got 2 kills for four shots so i'm still happy... :mrgreen: the billy situation will be changed next month,if the hunting gods are smiling :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:43 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:yeah i did blow a few stalks because of the usual wind turn,
Yeah mate, I seem to recall it causing you AND us some problems both out in the scrub as well as back in the house. :shock: :lol:

Jeff

Dodger

#10 Post by Dodger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks Jeff. I am already lining up a three or four day trip into the sticks for some time in the third week of October, so if I get the bow and Easton 2016s soon I should hopefully be in with a chance.

As for this coming weekend, it's a hastily arranged trip and whilst I know a few areas that have wild boar, it's going to be a whole new experience for me. More so, as there is no one to mentor me, save the internet. Will put up a post regardless of the result.

Keep well.

Dodger

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:16 pm

ahhh mate,i seem to remember you doin the imitation of a two stroke and it was'nt just your snoring. :shock: :lol:

Nephew

#12 Post by Nephew » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:24 pm

You were both disgraceful! Me, on the other hand... :wink: :lol:

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:39 pm

And you, dont you ever talk about others making those noises,but like i say better out than in. :mrgreen:

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 pm

another interesting point,we were all using ribbies,just different weights for each persons set up..... :biggrin:

kerrille

#15 Post by kerrille » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:32 pm

loved it all ..thanks jeff

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

dmm

#16 Post by dmm » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:00 pm

"Pic Heavy" makes for a great post. Really enjoyed reading this and vicariously experiencing your trip.
You mentioned video cameras a couple of times. Any chance any of that footage might make it onto youtube.com?

David..
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks David. Regarding the video, it was my son's camera and I haven't even seen the footage as he is away at present. I'm not sure if he knows how to put the footage on youtube and I have my doubts about how good it was anyway. :lol:

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Bill » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:04 pm

8) Well done Jeff and to the boys, enjoyed the story and pictures, I enjoy the pictures of the country side more-so for it makes me wonder :?: how many other pairs of feet have wondered over this great land in good times and bad long before white-man arrived. .........Bill

Hilly

#19 Post by Hilly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Well done to all of you for a good hunt the pic's are all great .. ( & i do rember that schoolies week Jeff )
Hilly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks Bill and Hilly.
Hilly wrote: ( & i do rember that schoolies week Jeff )
Yeah mate I'm sure you do. The place looks a lot different to back then.

Jeff

longbow steve

#21 Post by longbow steve » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Looks like a beautiful place Jeff, definately a place to go to clear the head. Well done guys

Tommo

#22 Post by Tommo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Nice bunch of pics Jeff, looks like a good hunt all round.

Your bow looks nothing short of whacky (or maybe out of whacky) but looks like it did the job. I reckon you could nick name it "pretzl" :lol:

piggy

#23 Post by piggy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Excellent stuff there Boys, great to see you all out having a hunt and thank you for sharing.

Cheers

Paul

ivorycollector

#24 Post by ivorycollector » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks for sharing fellas! Great story and pics. Make one wants to get out there.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#25 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks for the comments fellas.
Tommo wrote:Your bow looks nothing short of whacky (or maybe out of whacky) but looks like it did the job. I reckon you could nick name it "pretzl"
Yeah mate she has some propeller twist, lumps and bumps and bends but it certainly isn't out of whack. :biggrin: It shoots well, shame I can't say the same about the bloke shooting it. :lol:

Tony, I will see if I can get some photos of the bow for you some time. Also mate have a great time out bush with your lad!!!

Jeff

Nephew

#26 Post by Nephew » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:48 pm

Tell them it's name Jeff, and explain the origins thereof! :wink: :lol:
It is a great bow, fellas. The first self bow I ever saw in the "flesh", so to speak. Very stylish , and don't listen to "Mr. Modesty" here, he sells himself short and shoots it as well as you would expect...very well indeed! :shock:

Benny Nganabbarru

#27 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Well-done, Jeff, Jay, Rod and Craig! You blokes had a good time, and deserved every bit of it! Many happy returns of the day to you!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

UPTHETOP

#28 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks for the story and pics Jeff, Looks like you all enjoyed yourselves with a few game to boot.
Make shore its not that long before the next hunt with your son, life is to short mate.

Congradulations on the game fellas.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Chase N. Nocks

#29 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:23 pm

I just saw this. I have been way way too busy lately. Actually all year. So have not stuck my head in much lately...gee I've missed some good bows for sale.....and some good conversation.

Moreton I saw you new avatar and did a search in HUNTING & FISHING and your name....and found what I expected. Mate, really really well done. I am very pleased for you. I suspect the long wait seems unimportant now beside you put the time to good use by rightfully honing your skills.

And good on Jeff and crew for being part of the group that could share in Craig's success. Well done. BTW Jeff the pictures are fantastic, really gave me itchy feet.

Now, off to visit the trade blanket.. :oops:
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#30 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks and good to see a post from you again. :D

It was a real pleasure to share in the experience of Craig getting his first kill.

Jeff