Gidget & Griffo go for some Practice

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

Gidget & Griffo go for some Practice

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Well what can I say. Griffo was home from whatever country he lives in these days. We did a bit of catching up yesterday & he was keen to hit the target to site in his newly acquired Left handed elite.

So we teed up for Wednesday arvo, I picked him up after work & hit the target, I flung a couple, but wasn't really having the best day with the long bow.
I watched as Griffo sent them down 1 at a time. Not bad for a bloke who has shot right handed his whole life & just decided he was going to swap to left hand to try it out.

We seen a couple of hares flea here & there, but seeing as I really hate them animals we paid them no attention, even when 1 popped it's head up 30 or so metres behind the target.

A few drops of rain here & there, but nothing to get worry the dedicated & I spotted another hare behind the target on the other side of the tram line. Griffo tried to con me into it, but held strong.
He finished his round & we started walking back down to retrieve his arrows, I grabbed the long bow on the way, just in case that hare was going to commit suicide.

We both sort of decided we would walk straight past the target with out a word being spoken in search of this hare.
I was donned in my full high vis camo & Griffo with his ever so quiet keys on his hip. But we made it to the edge of the freshly cut cane when I spotted my little mate dogged down on between the rows.
I knocked an arrow, drew back the mighty Gring Red Belly Black bow to anchor, just as I did thought to myself ..... Holy crap..... I have no arm guard or glove on..... this is going to hurt & closed my eyes on release (oops) I then opened them to see the arrow flying ever so true, it looked good, but the hare flattened out & the arrow was just over his back. Damn. (note to self, keep eyes open you sook)
I took a couple of steps forward as the hare pulled to a stop to see what the hell was going on, by then the 2nd arrow was on its way.. All I could hear Griffo screaming was.... go get it, go get it. I was a little stunned I hit it to tell you the truth, so I was a little slow off the mark. The shot was a little far back & he ran 40 or so metres, but the job was done.
I had my 1st hare with the Gringa long bow (any long bow for that matter). So we shook hands, had a few laughs about the easiest stalk ever & went & retrieved his arrows from the target but & took a couple of pics with all that we had. A couple of Iphones.... lol.

Thanks for a good arvo Luke & thanks for reading.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Gringa Bows

Re: Gidget & Griffo go for some Practice

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Congrats mate,your doing well with the Red Belly...............

blu-dog

#3 Post by blu-dog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:38 pm

You are the Zen Master - please teach me your ways O-Wise-One!
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:39 pm

Congrats mate; go the longbow! :D

Jeff

Nutgrass

#5 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:49 pm

blu-dog wrote:You are the Zen Master - please teach me your ways O-Wise-One!
Wise man once said.
Practice hard, Practice often, if all else fails, shoot as many arrows as possible & your odds of success will increase :wink: :lol: :lol:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:38 am

Mate, a hare with the Gringa? Shooting doesn't get much better! Awesome stuff, well done!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Benny Nganabbarru

#7 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:06 am

Good job!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

UPTHETOP

#8 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Gidg your turning into an hunting machine whats going on with the longbow its taking over mate.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Nutgrass

#9 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:23 pm

UPTHETOP wrote:Gidg your turning into an hunting machine whats going on with the longbow its taking over mate.

Cheers Wayno
The Hoyt maxxis has been in discrase with a string spitting, string snapping, cammleaning issue. While that was going on the Gringa longbow turned up & well.......... I have been shooting it just about daily. Since getting the Hoyt fixed, I have still found the challenge of the long bow to be like the north to a south pole attraction on a magnet. :wink:

Brett Finger

#10 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:08 am

blu-dog wrote:You are the Zen Master - please teach me your ways O-Wise-One!

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA,,,,,
ummmm, u being left behind oh' Blu one ! :mrgreen:
Me... :D
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him