Heres my part of the Cunamalla hunt story, Fellas.

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Nephew

Heres my part of the Cunamalla hunt story, Fellas.

#1 Post by Nephew » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Hunting Cunnamulla

It's funny how the important calls always seem to come when you're not there to take them! I had just popped around to see one of my neighbours for a while and when I got back here was a message next to the phone‚ Geoff Shallycom(!) and a number. I knew who that was, spelling notwithstanding! What could the old fella want with the likes of me? I call, Jeff's lovely wife, Jude, answers and I explain who I am, exchange pleasantries and ask to speak to Jeff. We repeat the pleasantry ritual, I babble on for a while on a totally unrelated matter and then Jeff finally gets me to shut up long enough to hear what he has to say...and what he says hits my brain like a razor sharp Ribtek through a goat... HOLEY SMOKE, IT'S THE MOMENT!! The one I have waited three years for, the moment when an experienced, knowledgeable hunter asks would I like to join them on a hunt! I considered my options...for about a nanosecond then blurt out “Yep! I'm in mate!". He's pleased to hear this and proceeds to fill me in on the details. Where? ...Cunnamulla, of which I had heard but knew basically nothing except it's an awfully long way from Coochiemudlo Island... who is joining us?... The big fella LB Rod 55 and Jeff's son, Jay. I'd met Rod once or twice on his frequent day trips to Brisbane but had never even knew Jeff had a son so was looking forward to meeting both him and Jeff, who I had spoken to countless times in P.M.s and on the phone. We arranged for me to drive up to Jeffs in Maryborough on the 13th to leave on the 14th, with me going on to Bundy to pick up Rod first.

The drive was longer than I had anticipated and I didn't get to Rods until late arvo with us leaving right on dusk. Poor Rod looked a little antsy at being in the passenger seat, an unfamiliar perspective of the road apparently. I did my best to calm him by casually mentioning that with my glasses on, the windscreen tends to go white on me when oncoming vehicles have headlights on. I was bewildered to see this had no calming effect at all and after an appropriate period of contemplation (I really was getting a bit nervous myself by now, some of those trucks on dark regional roads have remarkably bright lights!) I pulled into a servo and offered Rod the chance to take the wheel. He must have been pleased by this offer as in his enthusiasm to do so near knocked me to the ground, brutal fellow! Before an altercation could arise, the mobile rings and here's Stickbow, wanting to know just where we are. We are minutes from his house so proceed in a much more relaxed atmosphere, save the excitement of going on a hunt tomorrow, my first at that!

We are greeted with fine food and hospitality, pack Jeff's Landcruiser and pretty much head off to bed, eager for the dawn.

4:30am comes around and I can no longer take it! Maybe if I get up the sun will rise a bit earlier. I'm up and enjoying a cigarette on the footpath - no-one smokes at Jeff's, so it's fair enough to take it away. Next thing here's Jeff, then Rod and after the usual things done on arising it's goodbye to Jude and right on 5:58am, we are away!

Now, I've been on a few long drives in my day but WOW, this is one of the longest! We had a few stops in various Qld regional towns like Dalby and St. George for coffee (and a quick drag or two for me, which is beginning to be noticed by the less vice-bound) but eventually we arrive at the Cunnamulla Roadhouse, where we meet up with Jay. Intros done, it's back into the cars for the last hour of our trip, out to the place Jeff has hunted for twenty years and knows as well as he knows his own back yard... this is gonna be great!

Right on dusk we arrive, unpack, set up our beds in the house we have been very generously supplied with for the duration of our stay, and settle into the usual night time things- showers to wash off the dust of many miles of South Western Qld red dirt roads, then a feed, a bit of a yarn and off to bed for an early start...well Jeff's idea of an early start anyway. I s'pose some of us must need more beauty sleep than others?

I was having an early morning smoke outside when the Big Fella comes out to say "Mornin" and then the old bloke finally rises, followed by Jay, who knowing his father way better than us had the good sense to bring himself earplugs. Wish I'd thought of that!. Ok, quick breakfast for those that do, showers, camo on and in the car, LETS GO!

After a short discussion Jeff knows where he's taking us first and we peel our eyes to watch as we drive out to our destination. This place is huge, with one of the sites Jeff shows us being thirty kilometres from the homestead! Still, we see plenty of potential (well, the other guys did, it was all new to me) but also observe that the land is in such good condition after recent good rain that any game will be spread out and not as easy to find as when they must come in to the only water around for miles. This may be so, but about 45 mins after we have begun our hunt we spot goats! Jeff has a good look at 'em with his binocs, see's billies and says “Craig, get in there, young fella!". If the offer of first shot doesn't endear him to me, the “Young Fella" certainly does! He's a mate for life, this bloke! Ok, so I quietly go to the back of the 'Cruiser, string the bow, Jay pulls down his face mask and says “Follow me" and that's it, I'm on my first stalk on real, live game! “Pumped" is a pretty weak description of how I felt right now, I was ready to bust right out of my skin! So many thoughts jostling for space to become the primary one, “They don't know we're here!" “Try to watch out for the others, don't just watch the two billies you're perusing" "Hells Bells, what if I mess this right up in front of THESE blokes?" Jay was both guiding me in- showing where to put my feet so as not to make too much noise, when to stop and freeze, when to advance, etc.- and gently encouraging. “You could shoot it from here, but let's go in a bit more and get a better look while the wind is being good to us". Once we were close enough to work out which billy we wanted, Jay very selflessly steps back and says “go and get him, mate" while staying right with me to whisper last minute advice. Ok, now it's up to me. I take a few more very tentative steps slowly forward with a bush between me and the two young billies that are feeding contentedly just 15-20 meters from us. I know which one I'm going for, even though his mate has a wider spread of bigger horns. I'm not certain about my ability to shoot over one to get the other, so it's the slightly younger, smaller of the two. I pull up my bow... put it back down... “Wait, wait" I say to myself and here it is, he has turned into a good position, a tiny bit quartering on but very close to broadside. Then he bent his head around the other side of his body to scratch his off side ribs, both obscuring his eyes so he cant see me, and opening up his onside ribs “Now!" yells in my head, I stand up from my bent, semi crouching position behind the bush, pick a spot where there is a tuft of white in a black patch right behind his shoulder, draw, anchor, release and it just sails straight in, right up to the fletching in the white spot! Jay says “Oh, Good Shot!" and the billy looks a tiny bit surprised, but not really all that bothered. He takes a few steps, thinks he might like to browse on a branch, rears up on his hind legs to do so, and then gets a bit wobbly. Puts his front feet back down, looks around a bit, then over he goes! Right there in front of us! No tracking blood trails, no looking for my dead billy, nothing! We wait a minute or two, but it's obvious he's cashed in his chips, y'know? WHOO-HOO!

In we go (his mate only now decides his presence is no longer required and takes his leave) and here's the blood pool with a lot of frothy bubbles, I've lunged him! I'm incredulous by now, I just CA'N'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING.!! I'm trembling, Jay's pumping my hand and saying “Well done, mate, good onya!" and I need a deep breath or two or I'm gonna tip, I'm just so primed! What a rush!!

I know I have made it sound quick, but it took about 40 minutes from start to Billy down, and I was living on adrenaline for most of that. Then Jeff comes around the trees to see what happened, ready to commiserate with this novice hunter on the blown stalk or shot... when he see's my face, then Jays, He says "Did you get it?" with a grin beginning to split his face. “Yep! Look!" I near shout 'cause I'm still stoked and I'm pointing to Billy on the ground. Well, I've rarely seen a happier man! He was just so pleased ! Backslapping and handshakes ensue then Rod comes in and he's grinning too! He almost looks proud of me and shakes my hand vigorously too while checking out my billy. Out come the cameras, many shots are taken on everyone's respective devices and then the head is removed for preparation into a trophy for my wall. My first, but you had better believe, in no way my last! I am truly renewed in my enthusiasm and am setting my sights on improving all areas of my archery, gear, practice, research and the search for that most elusive of targets, access to decent hunting properties! Next time, it's my shout, Jeff!

Much more happened this week, but I have had more than my fair share of time in the spotlight, I'll leave it to one of the others to tell more of the week from their perspective.
A Happy Man!!!
A Happy Man!!!
IMG_0490.jpg (204 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
Thanks Jay!
Thanks Jay!
IMG_0496.jpg (217.76 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
In Good Company!
In Good Company!
IMG_0498.jpg (204.82 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
Very proud of this pic!
Very proud of this pic!
IMG_0499.jpg (203.67 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
Last edited by Nephew on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

dmm

Re: Heres my part of the Cunamalla hunt story, Fellas.

#2 Post by dmm » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Good read, and nice pictures. Thanks for posting.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi Craig.

Goat makes great Curry. Aren't you glad of all that practice perfecting your ability to hit the target. Well done- there will be no stopping you now.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Dodger

#4 Post by Dodger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:37 pm

Thanks for a good read and here's to many more.
What are the specs for your bow and arrow? Thanks.
Dodger

prasamaccus

#5 Post by prasamaccus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi Moreton,

Some nice pics and you tell a great story, can feel the the enthusiasm - almost had me jumping out of me chair cheering for you, well done.

Paul.
"These new arrows are useless they keep going where I'm aiming instead of where they are supposed to go"

muntries

#6 Post by muntries » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Sounds like a nice clean kill and the fella didn't even realise, good work!
Goat makes great Curry
Damn right, best ever curry I had was slow cooked goat on the bone!

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

g_r

#7 Post by g_r » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:41 pm

Now thats what i call storytelling! Could almost feel the rush myself.
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Top story Craig, glad i was part of it. :biggrin:

Nutgrass

#9 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Great work mate, in great company to share your 1st with 8) Top effort & I look forward to many more sensational stories in the future 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

ivorycollector

#10 Post by ivorycollector » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:24 am

Well done again Craig. Very nice story and pictures. Thanks for sharing your trill and excitement with us. I am sure there will be lots more to come. Cheers.

Nephew

#11 Post by Nephew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:59 am

Well, thanks everyone! I'm really glad you fellas like it. :biggrin:
Grahame, Yes mate I am glad for all those hours out the back here saying "one more set of 6, one more..." and battling mossies and midgees and all the rest of it, but I'll tell you what, I have a lot more to do if I'm ever to reach the level Jeff and Rod shoot at! Wicked shots, I tells ya! Jeff tries to pretend he is a bit rusty but I never saw a bad shot all week out of the old bugger! Cody Roiter shoots in a very similar style as Jeff and Jeff gets the same kind of result. For those of us that have watched Vids of Cody, you know what I mean! :shock: 8) Rod can split a 2cm round stick at 15 meters without looking like he's really concentrating all that much, but I know he must be very well focussed indeed to be getting the results he does consistently!
I'll have a crack at the curry next trip, Bud! :)
Dodger, matey I use a 52#@28" "Shoyk" Semi-Recurve / 3pce T.D. Longbow, ( which ever description floats your boat :roll: :lol: ), handcrafted by our very own "Ivorycollector" here on Ozbow. On this trip I used "Grizzly Stick-Banshee 500" arrows from the Alaskan Bowhunting Company with Ribtek140grn W broadheads, razor sharp after Jeff had finished showing me how to properly sharpen a broadhead, with 60grn adapters for carbon arrow inserts making them 200grn. All up my arrows weighed around 570-590 grns. I also had some Carbon Express "Heritage" 250s with the same broadheads, but did not get the opportunity to use 'em. Next time, WOODS! I have set myself the challenge of learning to make the best woods I can, tailored to each trip.

Rod- I'm bloody glad you were there too! Snoring, flatulence and all! :lol: It wouldn't have been the same without ya, ol' mate! :biggrin:

SiewHo- Bud, thanks a ton! The "Shoyk" did us both proud and slipped that Grizzly in like a hot knife through butter! We need to chat about the next one... :wink:
So, you other two ( Jay shoots a compound so wont be telling his tale here :P ) where's your accounts of the week :?: :?: :mrgreen: Too many fantastic pics to keep 'em to yourself, Jeff! You too, Rod, where's ya footage??
Last edited by Nephew on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Benny Nganabbarru

#12 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:04 am

Good stuff! Did Jeff ask if he could try any of your camo? I bet he was tempted! :biggrin:
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Nephew

#13 Post by Nephew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:08 am

Hey Ben, caught him trying it on in the bathroom...-NO, I'M JOKING JEFF, REALLY MATE, YOU KNOW THAT! :wink: :lol:
In fact Matey, I tried HIS style with a large check overshirt I brought along, brown and green at that!! There may be a pic in Jeffs collection, but it actually worked quite well. :shock:
Last edited by Nephew on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:15 am

Cut it out Craig, i only heard one person snoring,and it was'nt me :biggrin: and i seem to remember you were doing well in the flatulent department,and so was another member of the party. :mrgreen:

Gringa Bows

#15 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:18 am

oh yeah,the footage didn't turn out the best most of it is me trying to focus, so not happy..........

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Bill » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:36 am

G'Day Moreton, WOW :biggrin: what a great story.
It's been many years since I was up in that area of old Queensland, actually it was a little further down on a property outside the town of Aramac with a my good friend Doug Church who lived in Barcaldine.
I agree it's a long way to travel especially when driving all the way up from Wodonga, Victoria. But thats a story long ago.
Now back to your adventures, I have been reading your posts for a number of years now of how you wanted to get out and have a go. What great mates Jeff, Rod and Jay were to invite to along, it's mates like these that make it all worth while.

Congradulations again, so now all you need to do is get a bunny or two with those Blunts. :smile:
Now I watch with further anticipation, regards ............Bill

UPTHETOP

#17 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Moreton great read mate and photos its just the start of it all, look forward to many more of your hunting adventures.
Congradulations.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

dawallace45

#18 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Good one Morton

I notice that Jeff is still wearing his Country & Western camouflage gear

David

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Well put Craig and yes, we were all real glad to be there when you got your first kill - very well deserved it was to - congrats once again mate!!!

Ben & Dave,

My camo served me well as usual and there was no need to try any of that new fangled stuff. :lol:

Jeff

kerrille

#20 Post by kerrille » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:22 pm

damm good read mate you had me on the edge of my chair wantin to go down the river me self

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

ivorycollector

#21 Post by ivorycollector » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Mate you did all the "hard" work especially being the first kill. I bet your heart still trobs visualising the arrow sailed through the air in slow motion and burried itself on target. You have blooded your bow & earned your stripe.

Chuditch

#22 Post by Chuditch » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Just had a chance to read this one Craig. Really happy for you Mate. No matter how many times I have read accounts from first timers, it never gets old. It looks like you truly had one of 'those' hunts, precious memories... A story well told with great humour and humility. Well done old fellow!
DjidiDjidi, Nullark Gullart Nyarrt.

Brett Finger

#23 Post by Brett Finger » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:25 am

:biggrin: Good read...

im SURE geoff and rod where seperated at birth !!!
BF.. :mrgreen:
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Nephew

#24 Post by Nephew » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks heaps Darren. Hey, nice house, BTW! Front yard big enough? :wink:

adam

#25 Post by adam » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:04 am

:biggrin: How goods that, well done and thumbs up to all involved
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

rodlonq

#26 Post by rodlonq » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:15 am

Great story writing Moreton, you have the skill to take the reader on the hunt with you. Great pics and congrats on your first billy. Thanks.

Cheers.... Rod

Nephew

#27 Post by Nephew » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Thank you, Rod. very kind of you to say so. :biggrin: