bowhunting + gamefishing

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

Re: bowhunting + gamefishing

#31 Post by clinton miller » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:24 pm

i just got back from another outing.....

i hit another shark, this time it was a hammerhead about 9'-10' long!
couldn't believe it when i saw it. i let it take the line off the bow and took up some strain on the rod but shortly after the arrow pulled out :x :x it seems i didn't hit him good enough. :oops: when i got the arrow back the barbs where still yet to be deployed. looks like it didn't go in far enough. i think i hit it somewhere near the dorsal fin.

oh well that's hunting for you! it lives to swim another day. sure keeps you keen though!
it was great just to see such a fish.

BTW, tuna oil rocks!! :P
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

otis.drum

#32 Post by otis.drum » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:53 pm

thats a decent size fishy clint. would have been a great fight. did you find the first one was different to fight with the rod when it was stuck in the gills (to the side) compared to the mouth (front and center) when normally fishing? does that make sense? or do they tire quicker with a hole in the side? especially the gills.
...otis...

aussiehunter

#33 Post by aussiehunter » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:25 am

Clint sounds like your having fun.. :)

these are the heads i was telling you about,its a 3 blade head thats screws on top of a heavy duty bowfishing head that has 3 retractable barbs. I reckon they look the goods,you send one of these deep into a shark,it aint come out,plus the head detaches from the shaft so you dont get the leverage effect...

also the reel made by the same mob,AMS attaches to side of bow,the beauty about this model is its designed for big fish,so when the line spools and empties the reel is slotted so the other end can be attached to either a rod,or floats or more line what ever way you want. ive used the reels on rays and its quick retrieve for another shot..i havent used the heads yet,but i know cashy has,he also sells them from his shop..i just got mine in from o/s.

i also grabbed some floats to try from the boat..ill offer this to our clients who are keen this year,something different..im down in cairns now and will have the boat til i go back up,so im going to try to do some sharks whilst im here :D

also i decked them all out with 600lb gator line, i bought a huge roll of it from the makers direct...

checkmate hunter take down recurve, 53lbs @28 inch
glenn newell longbow 60@28"
ams bowfishing
www.blackstumpbroadheads.com.au
[aussie made and made to last]

http://www.bowhunterslodge.net.au
"This just may be the best hunt of your life"

aussiehunter

#34 Post by aussiehunter » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:51 am

Clinton heres a you tube clip Cashy put up on his first go,wasnt using these heads at the time..good size hammer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1GoNeGd0Fo

dont go much on the cameraman,sounds like he gets a bit excited :lol: :lol:

good hunting
pat :)
checkmate hunter take down recurve, 53lbs @28 inch
glenn newell longbow 60@28"
ams bowfishing
www.blackstumpbroadheads.com.au
[aussie made and made to last]

http://www.bowhunterslodge.net.au
"This just may be the best hunt of your life"

clinton miller

#35 Post by clinton miller » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:37 pm

yep, that'll work!
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Guy Layton

#36 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Clinton,

Well done mate, Its great to see that you have achieved one of your bowhunting goals...!

I love the look of Tigers, they really are an amazing fish, as soon as I saw your pictures, it brought back great memories on shark fishing adventures gone by.... I have caught a few up to and over 300kgs... they really are adrenaline rush at the side of the boat and I am sure you knew about it when you slipped the gaff in...... they do go off...!!!

Bad luck about the hammer mate...!!! you would of been in for a fight there....! they really are dirty fighters, they have great big pectoral fins, which allow them to angle down deep in the sea currents making them very hard to pull up..!!! We had one around the 100kg mark on 6kg line, nearly spool us twice...! only for the TLD to blow up on us in the last few minutes before capture...!!!

Good luck with the next one.... I will be looking forward to reading about it...!!

Cheers Guy.. :D
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!