African Archer

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

African Archer

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:51 am

Morning All

Small film clip of an African Archer.

n.b. The style of grip/release he is using on the arrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ntnhc9EU0
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Blinkybill

Re: African Archer

#2 Post by Blinkybill » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:54 am

Morning Grahame,
Thanks for showing. Its interesting the way he is griping the arrow on the bowstring. Is this because they do not have nocks on their arrows?
Thanks,

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi Ben
Blinkybill wrote:Morning Grahame,
Thanks for showing. Its interesting the way he is griping the arrow on the bowstring. Is this because they do not have nocks on their arrows?
Don't know. But I would not be surpised it their was no formed nock the arrow.

If you look carefully there does not seem to much of a "point" either.

Just an interesting clip and a chance to learn how others do it.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:27 pm

yep it was interesting Grahame,i guess they would'nt have to be crack shots with the size of some of their critters they hunt.................Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:01 pm

It is interesting. I think there was a nock groove in the arra as if you watch the first shot the young fella actually takes his hand away from the arra for a split second and also you see him adjust the rotation of the arra. He looked a bit overbowsed as well.

Jeff

perry

#6 Post by perry » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:25 am

Bearing in mind the video is of a child I see drawing the bow looks a bit like the technique you see reinactment blokes shooting the heavy weight warbows with in that he utilized his entire upper body at stages throughout the draw, fluid, dyunamic and powerfull. Some of those African peoples regard the stregth of a bows draw as a measure of a man not in the macho way as in our culture but as a mark of a warrior.

The reality of life was / perhaps still is the critters they hunt for food are big / hyper alert animals and perhaps they use poison / rely on being master trackers and you want to engage your human enemies from as far away as possible so it makes sence to use a heavy bow. I saw a young fella on the road to becoming a hunter / warrior not a kid with a heavy bow.

Look at the finger placement, it ensures you don't cup you hand and solves the problem of pritive arrows and not having snap on nocks - clever and practical. I'd also like to see a better side on video to fully understand the form.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:41 pm

and he and his mates were having fun.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.