yew self bow........

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

mikaluger

yew self bow........

#1 Post by mikaluger » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:27 pm

here is a bow i just finished.https://youtu.be/ocjo6zoWnXI

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: yew self bow........

#2 Post by greybeard » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:21 am

Hi Mick,

An impressive and no doubt a pleasing result. :Bow

It is amazing how a little heat applied in the right areas can improve a stave.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:29 pm

Great result Mick!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

#4 Post by perry » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:14 am

Good work and a nice Bow Mate, next Vid show us how you Recurved the Limbs

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hunterguy1991

#5 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 am

Nice one as always mate!!

I know how he did it Perry :D

perry

#6 Post by perry » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:24 am

Good on Yah Colin :lol:

I am a diehard leave it as Mother Nature grew it type and am perfectly happy with a Selfbow with 2.5" of String Follow - they just shoot so sweetly. In other area's of my life I believe it's us that should bend to Natures will and not us bending Nature as she pushes back a bit harder than we can in the end.

Enough misguided Philosphopy - back to the subject at hand.

Back in the olden days I played at Recurving using Steam or a Heatgun and Vegetable Oil. I tried the simplest method of bending the tip in the Fork of my Mango Tree and holding it till it cooled. I also made a Timber Form with a strip of Banding Steel secured on it. It had holes drilled in it for G Clamps to slot into. You used it by heating the Bow and quickly clamping it into the Form using the Banding Steel to hold "potential" splinters down and to stop the G Clamps from indenting the Timber. The Recurve's alway's lost at least half of the Angle I set into them. I was only ever interested in Static Recurves and 1/2 heartedly stuffed around gluing and binding lamination's on to stiffen the Recurve if it showed sign's of pulling out but to be honest it really did not float my Boat. Give me a gnarly twisted lump of timber that Mother Nature was thinking of me when she grew it and I'm happy.

It's always great to see People making Recurved Selfbows, I admire they skill of the Bow Maker, how well they shoot and most certainly how sexy Recurved Bows are.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin