Flu-Flus @ 40m

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Flu-Flus @ 40m

#1 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Afternoon All.

The other day a couple of us were shooting Target Archery using Flu-Flus and noting that at shorter distance and with an under-the-chin-anchor they provided a better point of aim. So today I went to the range and invested a bit of time playing with Flu-Flus and Targets .... and a video.

So open the Popcorn, sit back and enjoy.

Target @40m with Flu-Flus. Filmed @ 300 frames per second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEf3vnaPu-U
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

indie

Re: Flu-Flus @ 40m

#2 Post by indie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:36 pm

So I gather hunting is not on the agenda with that gear?

morganp

#3 Post by morganp » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:25 pm

300 frames per second, nice kit mate. Good shooting by the way ... well, interesting anyway.

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:39 am

Morning.
indie wrote:So I gather hunting is not on the agenda with that gear?
Only if they are close. :)
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

morganp

#5 Post by morganp » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:36 am

Off your topic but almost relevant - I love slow motion shots of anything really. No idea why but they enthuse me.
This post appeared coincidentally on another forum this morning: http://www.bowhunting-forum.com/showthr ... post147560

Can you do that sort of thing and show us please? My camera only does a tenth of your speed at 30 frames a second and when I tried to photograph the cat flying off the couch I got severely reprimanded for banging a book closed hard nearby to initiate its jump. Quite rightly too, as my enthusiasm for slow motion had got the better of me. No animal cruelty people need tell me off, I got punished later. Anyway, the camera totally missed the shot so I couldn't experiment with playback.

Will have to rely on you Mr.A. Any more slow-motion shots of slow-motion arrows please?

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:47 am

The simple Primer on Slow Motion and it is simplified.

Slow Motion.

Garden variety film cameras capture motion at 24 frames per second and playback at 24 frames per second.

If you you run the camera at twice the speed for capture say 50 frames per second and then play it back 25 frames per second things will appear to take twice as long. ie Slow Motion.

Video (PAL) is usually shot 50 frames per second and interlaced ie the image you see on the screen consists of two images overlayed.

Modern digital cameras shoot 50 frames per second and they are full frames not interlaced and what you get on your digital TV is 50 images per second or better if you have a TV that has higher refresh rate - eg 100Hz

If you want to emulate slow motion with a everyday camera you can stretch the timeline in the editing suite. It will create the extra frames and the video will appear like slow motion. You can stretch digital video by 100% and it will look okay. Beyond that it will look jerky and people are not generally happy with the end result.

If you want smooth slow motion then you need to shoot at high frame rates. Shooting at high frame rates requires suitable cameras and they tend to be expensive.

If you are shooting at 100 frames per second then the slowest exposure you can have is 1/100 of a second. As you go to faster frame rates the max exposure time drops so if you are shooting at 500 frames per second then you only have 1/500 of a second.

So faster frame rates require additional lighting. If you use fluros which switch on and off at 50 Hz then you will get beats appearing and dark/light pulses in the video.

The simple solution are quartz lights and then colour correct.

For digital technology is it relatively simple to increase the frame rate. If the camera take a 1000x100- pixel image 50 times per second then it takes just bit of electronics/programming to get it to take twice the number of images at half the resolution.

Say 500x1000 100 times per second.

So if people want to to take slow motion clips then you need to get a camera that will take high frame rate videos. Things like GoPros are amazing in what they can do, for the money, however if you want to take images of things that are fast then it is difficult to get cameras that will do more 1000 frames per second at a reasonable resolution without a quantum jumps in price - but the prices are tumbling.

Irrespective, playing around with slow motion stuff is several quanta more time consuming compared to run of the mill stuff. And the vast majority of people make crappy videos because they do not/are not willing to put the time in to do good stuff.

My expectations are that for 1 minute of slow motion stuff expect to invest a minimum of 4 hours. That is a 250:1 ratio!

You actually have to plan it!!!! Something that seems to be extremely difficult for people to understand.

As for equipment once you step outside the range of consumer gear the cost jumps dramatically/astronomically.

Archery.

To get reasonable video of arrows in flight you need 600 frames per second. It is much better at 1200 frames per second.

For most people it is much easier to take still images using a flash - shoot in the dark and trigger the flash when the object is in the appropriate position or use a strobe.

If people are interested there is lots of stuff on the net - look there. Google is your friend.
Grahame.

morganp

#7 Post by morganp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks for all that, interesting read. Leaves me back relying on you to do the work. I have problems with tying shoelaces let alone machinery, so I buy slip-on shoes. I just enjoy 'slo-mo' as it is called and there was a lot of it on TV last night too with Attenborough - praying mantids having sex and eating cockroaches at the same time, lizards avoiding bigger lizards and much more. I've had enough for a while then but I still hope you use your 300 frames per second for us sometime, even if it is just for clear videos and sharp stop motion rather than slo-mo. It is always good to watch other interesting things and people. I have enjoyed over the years the pics you put up of people at shoots. Mainly because I like the different expressions of concentration and focus on their faces and the way people dress-up on day's off. You don't seem to post as many as you used to.