"Real" Traditional Archery

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

"Real" Traditional Archery

#1 Post by GrahameA » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:56 am

Morning All.

Troy - Would you classify this as 'Traditional Archery'? Note the draw length check on the arrow.

The competition is only a newcomer on the scene ....... it only goes back 800 odd years. :biggrin:

http://vimeo.com/45555883
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Roadie

Re: "Real" Traditional Archery

#2 Post by Roadie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks Grahame, another Idea for our Trad shoots, But knowing how some of the Folks shoot I wouldn't be standing that close to the Target. Like it though. Cheers Roadie.

DrAK DaRippa

#3 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:39 am

putting up any target in a grassy field, besides flu flu aerial sooting and clout/flight shooting, can be hell especially if it's long grass.

this looks good, because any miss is hopefully going to be within a few meters of the target face, even if buried.

the people standing there must have confidence in the archer that they wont shoot too high. their ankles are the body parts most at risk with such a low target, so it shouldn't be terribly lethal too i'd hope

Trad Bound

#4 Post by Trad Bound » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:28 am

Roadie I'm with you, there are some people who standing next to when they shoot can be riskey :wink: . So being near the target No Thanks :surprised: Nice to watch though.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:46 pm

GrahameA wrote:Would you classify this as 'Traditional Archery'? Note the draw length check on the arrow.
The competition is only a newcomer on the scene ....... it only goes back 800 odd years.
Perhaps the 'draw length check' is a recent addition to the Naadam Tournament as there appears to be no evidence to suggest it was in use 800 odd years ago.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Chase N. Nocks

#6 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:32 pm

GrahameA wrote:Morning All.

Troy - Would you classify this as 'Traditional Archery'? Note the draw length check on the arrow.

The competition is only a newcomer on the scene ....... it only goes back 800 odd years. :biggrin:

http://vimeo.com/45555883
Nice one Grahame,

I wonder if women have always been allowed to shoot.

"Young and thin archers seem to shoot very well" :surprised: :surprised: Curse those young and thin archers I say :x

An amazing part of the world - literally oceans of grassland, be an amazing place to see.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:25 pm

looked like they were using broad heads.
Could add extra dimension to their term sharpshooter.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:52 am

Hi Troy.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:I wonder if women have always been allowed to shoot.
Don't know - however, I would not be surprised if they have been doing it for some time.

As a point of contrast in Bhutan the traditional archery there is a male only event. (Modern archery there is participated in by both sexes.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjjd2QF8fI
An amazing part of the world - literally oceans of grassland, be an amazing place to see.
Yes. There are many amazing places in this world. There are some are some large expanses of grass in Oz.

A bit more of Mongolian Archery http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2NSjbK6SgQ just to brighten your New Year's Day. :biggrin:
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.