North-Eurasian Bow

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

North-Eurasian Bow

#1 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi All.

A Sami type bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVBaHOupoQY

Daryl and John - apparently these style of bow where found in the Norse regions. Anywhere there was trade between the Norse and the Sami. The bow is Pine and Birch and it pulls 50lb @25",
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Buranurra

Re: North-Eurasian Bow

#2 Post by Buranurra » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi Grahame, that is a good vid and a fine looking bow. My wife lived in a place in far Eastern Russia called Kamchatka - they have indigenous populations that draw some similar cultural hunting practices to Native Americans and Inuit. I will have to get my wife to ask her family to look into bows from this region.

Thanks for the vid

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:27 am

Hi Jase
Buranurra wrote:Hi Grahame, that is a good vid and a fine looking bow. My wife lived in a place in far Eastern Russia called Kamchatka - they have indigenous populations that draw some similar cultural hunting practices to Native Americans and Inuit. I will have to get my wife to ask her family to look into bows from this region.

Thanks for the vid

Cheers

Jase
The Kamchatka Peninsula is a long walk from the Kuban River and the Black Sea. It also tend to rain a lot in Kamchatka.

I seem to remember the that the indigenous inhabitants of the Peninsula used Cable-backed bows amongst othe stuff. Greater Russia Archery is interesting as you have everything from Sami types bows in the North West to Asiatic style bows of the Carpathian Basin to Sino-styled bow of the East to the bows used in the far east are like Siberia and the Kamchatka Peninsula.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Buranurra

#4 Post by Buranurra » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:33 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Jase
Buranurra wrote:Hi Grahame, that is a good vid and a fine looking bow. My wife lived in a place in far Eastern Russia called Kamchatka - they have indigenous populations that draw some similar cultural hunting practices to Native Americans and Inuit. I will have to get my wife to ask her family to look into bows from this region.

Thanks for the vid

Cheers

Jase
The Kamchatka Peninsula is a long walk from the Kuban River and the Black Sea. It also tend to rain a lot in Kamchatka.

I seem to remember the that the indigenous inhabitants of the Peninsula used Cable-backed bows amongst othe stuff. Greater Russia Archery is interesting as you have everything from Sami types bows in the North West to Asiatic style bows of the Carpathian Basin to Sino-styled bow of the East to the bows used in the far east are like Siberia and the Kamchatka Peninsula.
Indeed, my wife is Kubanski born in that region and lived there for 18 years then her family moved to Petropavlovsk in Kamchatka. I went to Kamchatka 3 years ago for 4 weeks. Went to the tundra on a 5 day camping fishing trip with my brother in law and saw around 60 Grizzly bears on that trip. Suffice it to say the men were heavily armed.

this is Summer on the tundra and transport

Me on right with brother in law

Trout caught

transport was 2 of these ex military vehicles

Sorry about the major thread drift, next time I will be taking a bow!!!

Cheers

Jase

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Very interesting photos Jase. I wish more people would post up photos for us to look at in our Photography forum - hint, hint! :mrgreen:

Jeff

Buranurra

#6 Post by Buranurra » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi Jeff,

Sorry about posting them in this thread, are you able to move the post to the correct forum?

Cheers

Jase

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Buranurra wrote:Hi Jeff,

Sorry about posting them in this thread, are you able to move the post to the correct forum?

Cheers

Jase
They're fine here mate.

I was simply making a suggestion that I wish more people would post up photos (such as your fine pics) for us to see is all. Many people say they enjoy seeing the photos that get posted up but they hardly ever post up photos themselves so others might enjoy them or even comment on the ones that are posted up. :confused: :biggrin:

Jeff