Yabusame - Kasagake Festival

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Yabusame - Kasagake Festival

#1 Post by GrahameA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Afternoon All.

Another Yabusame clip. The archery starts at around 1:50. This will be Simon this time next year after he has bit of practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM3CMUk7 ... re=related

What is different this time?
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Brumbies Country

Re: Yabusame - Kasagake Festival

#2 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:12 am

Morning Grahame

You have to admire the colourful dress, the ceremony that is very much part of the Japanese way of doing things, and good to see the opposite sex equally involved and attractively turned out. I only had time for a quick look but the relative length of the bows was interesting relative to their Hungerian counterparts. The difference you may have been referring to is the relatively high initial draw which I think, and I'm not at all experienced with it, perhaps relates to style established with the traditional use of the Yumi. Relative to the Hungarian style there is more time involved. They appeared to be shooting one target rather than the international 3.

Simon

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Simon.
Brumbies Country wrote:Morning Grahame

You have to admire the colourful dress, the ceremony that is very much part of the Japanese way of doing things, and good to see the opposite sex equally involved and attractively turned out. I only had time for a quick look but the relative length of the bows was interesting relative to their Hungerian counterparts. The difference you may have been referring to is the relatively high initial draw which I think, and I'm not at all experienced with it, perhaps relates to style established with the traditional use of the Yumi. Relative to the Hungarian style there is more time involved. They appeared to be shooting one target rather than the international 3.

Simon
If you watch a bit more Yabusame they usually shoot from the left to the right. In that clip they are shooting from the right to the left - very rarely seen. The have to to load the bow and then swing it across the horse. Something different.

What arrangements are you making for your costume?
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Brumbies Country

#4 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:43 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Simon.

[If you watch a bit more Yabusame they usually shoot from the left to the right. In that clip they are shooting from the right to the left - very rarely seen. The have to to load the bow and then swing it across the horse. Something different.

What arrangements are you making for your costume?
Hi Grahame

Costume arrangements are probably a little premature at this stage. I'm just starting to break in the horse so have some time to think about costumes. If I follow the American Indian Eastern Woodlands type of self-bow I've been shooting lately, then it'll be feather head dress and and some sort of buckskin outfit. Because they are particularly suited to endurance and I want to get back to that, this fellow is a full blood Arabian, so that gives scope re national dress of countries round that region. His name is Mustafa which then allows for a Turkish expression. Plenty of scope.

By the way they are encouraging period costume in the national clout titles at Tuggeranong in March, so something chosen could also double for that.

Simon

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:20 pm

watch where you park your horse on the shooting line mate at the clout. The horse would come in handy getting to the clout and back though. Clout shooting from a moving horse would be interesting.

I will have my 12th century outfit on including hardware.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Brumbies Country

#6 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:38 am

longbowinfected wrote:watch where you park your horse on the shooting line mate at the clout. The horse would come in handy getting to the clout and back though. Clout shooting from a moving horse would be interesting.

I will have my 12th century outfit on including hardware.

Kev
I take your point. The principal aim for the English archers at Crecy, Agincourt etc was to shoot the horses of the French knights and by then I will have invested too much time in training to risk that happening. I reckon clout shooting from a moving horse, anything up to a slow canter, would be a tad easier than shooting three close targets at a flat gallop. I'll let you know.

I thought you'd be wearing your outfit and its always good to see. I could wear my top hat et al again but at this stage I look like shooting a barebow recurve and maybe something along Saracen lines is called for. My Black Locust self bow groups beautifully but it does so at around 130m.

Simon