Bareshaft Testing

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Bareshaft Testing

#1 Post by GrahameA » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:23 am

Morning All.

"Bareshafting" Arrows is in favour with some and out of favour with others. Here is a short video offering an opinion in favour of "Bare Shaft Testing".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEiUNcH- ... re=related
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bareshaft Testing

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:10 pm

I had to have a chuckle at that fellas username (Woodenarrows) when he was obviously using carbon or similar arras in the demo. :lol:

To each their own with regards this subject, I have never bare shaft tuned in my life and don't think I ever will.

Jeff

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:43 am

Hi Jeff.

If the Archer is consistent and has a set of arrows that are matched to their bow then the arrows will fly very happily without fletches - almost perfectly. (Almost perfectly as the removal of the fletches changes the arrow and it is no longer a perfect match.)

The issue that some people seem to have is getting a match between the Bow and the Arrow. One approach is to shoot a range of shafts unfletched till you find the one that flies appropriately and then using that as a base build a set of arrows on its specifications.

IMHO Out to 30 yards it is possible to shoot a range of arrows that do not match the bow and you will still hit the target. At longer distances and if you are shooting Target you need arrows that perform better. The arrow velocity drops off and the group size opens up with low scores the result. At 70m if your arrows are not flying well the majority will land in the green.

Bareshafting is just a tool available in the Archers toolbox to assist in producing the best Arrow, Bow and Archer combination to hit the target. Archers do not have to use it, just as they do not need to fine tune their Brace Height to give the best result. However, it is there for those that want to use it and are willing to put the effort in.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

#4 Post by Nephew » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:34 pm

I get the hang of it now, but when I first started trying to bareshaft tune all I ended up with was a pile of different length shafts and a very confused state of mind! :? :lol:
I think that says way more about me than it does about the technique! :wink: :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!