Mollegabet hybrid

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Mollegabet hybrid

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:13 am

Mollegabet hybrid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar48eZw2 ... re=related

Just another video on bow making, but different - Bogenbau Offener Kanal Kiel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQVItC3BeKE&NR=1
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbow steve

Re: Mollegabet hybrid

#2 Post by longbow steve » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:24 am

Cool, at what point would you call that style of bow an Asiatic? I would think when Siyahs are added?
I am starting a sapling Mollegabet as we speak and am itching for it to dry :D
100_3780.JPG
100_3780.JPG (96.15 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
100_3783.JPG
100_3783.JPG (124.93 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
100_3784.JPG
100_3784.JPG (73.73 KiB) Viewed 2632 times

jcm

#3 Post by jcm » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:44 am

Good Luck with "Stick"
Regards

John

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:44 am

very interesting, thanks for that Grahame.....................looking forward to seeing what the bow looks like finished Steve ........

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:10 pm

longbow steve wrote:Cool, at what point would you call that style of bow an Asiatic? I would think when Siyahs are added?
Never. :)

It is a question of what is an Asiatic. Can it be a Flatbow or must it be aRecurve?

Can a bow that is "European" in its design origin be an Asiatic?
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:43 pm

GrahameA wrote:
longbow steve wrote:Cool, at what point would you call that style of bow an Asiatic? I would think when Siyahs are added?
Never. :)

It is a question of what is an Asiatic. Can it be a Flatbow or must it be aRecurve?

Can a bow that is "European" in its design origin be an Asiatic?
Yep fair enough :) , It would be interesting to know whether there was influence from Asia in the Mollegabet design. Steve

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:39 am

Hi Steve.

I would start looking at the Eastern end of the Baltic - say Finland/Russia. The Saami(spelling) in Finland made wood laminated bows very early on.

It is easy to recurve a flat bow and if you have the technology to laminate timer it is easy to laminate a Siyah onto a flat bow. Makes for some interesting thinking.

There is a general acceptance that Asiatic bows were developed in the East and moved westward. Is it at possible that they could have been developed in the West and moved eastward? Then returned westward in a more highly developed form later?
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:52 am

Maybe some Russian liked the look of a wandering Norseman's longer bow and added extensions?....merely a whimsical thought.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

longbow steve

#9 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:23 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Steve.

I would start looking at the Eastern end of the Baltic - say Finland/Russia. The Saami(spelling) in Finland made wood laminated bows very early on.

It is easy to recurve a flat bow and if you have the technology to laminate timer it is easy to laminate a Siyah onto a flat bow. Makes for some interesting thinking.

There is a general acceptance that Asiatic bows were developed in the East and moved westward. Is it at possible that they could have been developed in the West and moved eastward? Then returned westward in a more highly developed form later?
Hmmm, I am not familiar with Finnish bows(i'll do a search).

longbow steve

#10 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Here is a thread with diagrams and some replicas of the Saami Bows if anyone is interested.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/ ... ggGpa6XhGg

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Steve.

Excuse any typing errors - iPad and no spectacles is not a good combination.

As you have discovered their is whole new world of bows when you start looking at the Saami bows.

If people are interested in such it is worthwhile looking at a map of the area to get some appreciation of where we are talking about. There is also Norse connection in all of - Staroya Ladoga. Plus you are looking at part of a Trading Route from Northern Europe to Constantinople.

And when you start looking at Russian bows there is another world of things opening up.

One of these days when I have some spare time I want to build a bi-laminate Homellgarde.

Enjoy your reading and I will have a search for an article I had on Bi-laminate Saami bows.

Grahame
Grahame.