Yumi Making

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Yumi Making

#1 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:07 am

Morning All.

Came across this vide0 clip of a Yumi being made. Well worth the watch for those who are keen to make on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FEXjafZQRM
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbow steve

Re: Yumi Making

#2 Post by longbow steve » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:41 am

Thats a good little clip Grahame. I like the wedge method of shaping the bow but had not seen it done. Thanks Steve

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi Steve.
longbow steve wrote:Thats a good little clip Grahame. I like the wedge method of shaping the bow but had not seen it done. Thanks Steve
There is a clip of Jaap Koppedrayer using that method to make a bow - irrespective that video gives a nice overview of the process in a short time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIdQEtvo3J0&NR=1

The other thing I noticed is everything is done look and feel. No forms. Sort of appeals to me on one hand and sort of not on the other.

I went out and purchased more spring clamps the other week. Am preparing both the mind and the body for the next one. This time more recurve in the limbs. Since I made the first I have learnt a lot - amazing how much you learn after you have been through the process once.

I need to get my existing one out and shoot just it for an extended period of time - even better still learn how to shoot it in a more Japanese style.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:11 pm

That was interesting Grahame,they make it look easy :D