Long Hungarian Bows

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Long Hungarian Bows

#1 Post by GrahameA » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 am

Morning All.

Some Hungarian Traditional Archery. Check out the length NtN of some of the bows. Hmmmmm........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJ34JfDszU
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Jhoneil

Re: Long Hungarian Bows

#2 Post by Jhoneil » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:03 pm

This the reason why i hate the term horsebows. It might be possible to shoot these bows while riding a horse but it will not be easy.
Cast in the name of god... ye not guilty

GrahameA

Re: Long Hungarian Bows

#3 Post by GrahameA » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 am

Good Morning
Jhoneil wrote:This the reason why i hate the term horsebows. It might be possible to shoot these bows while riding a horse but it will not be easy.
Yes. The term seems to have become a catch-all and somewhat annoys me.

I am willing to argue that the may not be as hard as what you think to use from a horse - the Japenes use some long Yumis from horse and the English did have mounted Long archer.

The issues with bows from horses is if you want to shoot from both sides then you need to be able to easily clear the body of the horse and it you are using a technique that has a short draw then the bow has has store the required energy in a short distance.

I would suggest that those boths with their high brace heigh will not be able to store enough energy if they are used with a short draw.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.