Stable Flight.

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Stable Flight.

#1 Post by greybeard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:03 pm

The first few seconds of the video is interesting.

Take note of how much fletching is on the arrow and how quickly the arrow recovered to give excellent flight.

Although there is initial drag from the helical fletching, if we work on the bow producing 160 fps performance the arrow is in contact with the string for less than .011 of a second working on a string travel of 21” [please check my maths].

Once the arrow has left the string the helical fletching takes effect, drag is reduced and the rotation of the arrow stabilises the flight.

To keep the correct perspective the above refers to the typical 3D trad type shoots where distances rarely go beyond thirty yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFqjNKC7 ... re=related

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

Re: Stable Flight.

#2 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:17 am

Hi All

Yep. Having high drag certainly straightens things up quickly. As you correctly say helical fletching gives high drag until the arrow spins up to speed and then the drag drops to a level close to that of straight fletched arrow.

Whilst small fletching has less drag given the typical range that most Trad shooting is done at the use of helical fletching and larger fletchs has a strong case - particularly with releases that are variable.

Note also in that clip the trail in the early stages of flight - probably talc on the fletchs.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

Re: Stable Flight.

#3 Post by Nephew » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:39 am

See the half hole left in the remains of plate in his hand? Dead set centre! :shock:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!