For the love of the English bow

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

WOLF

For the love of the English bow

#1 Post by WOLF » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:49 pm

One of my favorites this would have to be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsbp4w-4E68

Cheers
Cheers
Neil

57# Predator Hunter
55# Mohawk Classic
80# Lionheart Tri Lam ELB

Len

Re: For the love of the English bow

#2 Post by Len » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Yeah, great stuff ! And don't those boys make shooting heavy bows look easy !Thats why we formed warbow Australia , to help encourage people to take up shooting the big English bows. To me its the essence of trad archery.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Chase N. Nocks

#3 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Yes it is a very cool video that I have saved to the hard drive so I don't have to go online to watch it.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Len wrote:Yeah, great stuff ! And don't those boys make shooting heavy bows look easy !Thats why we formed warbow Australia , to help encourage people to take up shooting the big English bows. To me its the essence of trad archery.
Len,

I am confused by your post.

“To me it’s the essence of trad archery.” “That’s why we formed war bow Australia”

If you want to call warfare ‘traditional archery’ so be it.

War bows were designed to fling heavy arrows down field during battle and hopefully find a target.

Can you harvest food for the table using your war bow? Can you shoot a 3D round in the bush? Can you shoot a paper target round?

The humble self bow was far more than a weapon of warring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... ry&button=

Another interesting site if you follow the links.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Longbow

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Len

#5 Post by Len » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Greybeard, in answer to your questions; yes, yes and yes. All my target shooting is now done with the big bows as well as 3D. In fact at Lillydale's big 3D comp recently I shot the equal highest score of the afternoon , including modern longbows/flatbows etc.
However I think you miss my point that to me historical archery is true trad archery.Doing the archery of our ancestors is what I'm talking about. Doesn't matter if its a warbow or a simple hunting bow,but that is more of what true trad is to me rather then the idea of any bow thats not a compound is trad.
Hmmmmmmm.............