WTAF - Romanian Archers

Post links to Traditional Bowhunting and Archery videos.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

WTAF - Romanian Archers

#1 Post by GrahameA » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:43 am

Morning All.

Watch the clip. Observe closely the female archer and her "release" on the arrow - highly unconventional. Perhaps James Cameron was not that wrong after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuF5T05oG-U
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Bandsaw

Re: WTAF - Romanian Archers

#2 Post by Bandsaw » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Ive seen the same sort of release in Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the ring. The Lead Urukhai realeases his 'recurve' the same way.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly

ed

#3 Post by ed » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:04 pm

though no longer practicing I will put my physio hat on and state that I see nothing wrong with this release method from a bio-mechanical perspective, and actually for the high anchor point she is using it will be better in avoiding any impingement in the shoulder.

cheers,

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:39 pm

One of the ladies [Hungarian background?] in our club changed from the mediterranean release to that as shown in the video clip.

Apparently, using this style you cannot throw the hand away from the face on release and the follow through is better.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:19 pm

The only possible point of contention as i see it is the old one about possible eye damage from an errant knock.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Chase N. Nocks

#6 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 pm

I agree with everything said above except that I had not encountered the release until seeing Avatar..in the cinema I immediately tried the position for comfort and thought that it would work perfectly ok.

I have not actually played with it shooting.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"