holding my draw, but...

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

muntries

holding my draw, but...

#1 Post by muntries » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi folks,

I have this bit of a problem when I'm shooting or more precisely when I'm holding my draw. As I'm drawing the bow I raise my bow arm up to aim, reach anchor just as I'm looking down the arrow and then hold. This is where my problem starts, I have a tendency to relax a little and moves forward about an inch and then I take my shot and affects my accuracy. I'm not even aware that I'm doing it, does anyone have any ideas how to prevent this?

Tah

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

longbow steve

Re: holding my draw, but...

#2 Post by longbow steve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi Simon, get yourself a lighter bow or surgical band and work on alignment of your shoulders and drawing arm. It is good to relax at draw but you need to learn to isolate and use the muscles between your shoulder blades to effect the loose and follow through.
It takes time but the more you do it with the lighter bow or band the easier it will become with your shooting bow. Steve

muntries

#3 Post by muntries » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Steve, what are surgical bands and where can I get them from?
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

dmm

#4 Post by dmm » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:23 pm

muntries wrote:Hi Steve, what are surgical bands and where can I get them from?
You might like to watch the archery.tv series of podcasts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGJo77OAs8

They are on youtube and itunes. This guy Simon uses a band to demonstrate draw quite often.
I don't know where the come from, but my girlfriend has one she uses for stretches in what I assume is pilates.
I reckon they'd be available at sports stores, and perhaps even supermarkets.

Watch the video, and you'd probably recognise the "surgical band".
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Physiotherapists use them for rehab and they are colour coded according to their resistance. Go to your local Physio or chemist? They may sell you one. Steve

John Valery

#6 Post by John Valery » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:17 pm

muntries, I like to pull through my release, and all though it works very well when it's all going well, for me, it requires lots of practice. The way I do this is to go through my normal shot routine up until I reach my anchor point, then I close my eyes and think of nothing but my release. That way, I can really feel what’s happening without getting distracted by the whole aiming/locking on a spot part of the shot. I'm told that if you do anything 20x for 20 days, you form a habit. (Bad habits are a lot easier unfortunately). When I'm in the field or on the range, I don't even give my release a thought and rely on it being a habit from practice. Certainly worth a try for you mate. You'll be surprised how tight a group you can shoot (at a close range 5-10 yards) with your eyes closed.
If you ain't smilling, your anchor point's to low

Chase N. Nocks

#7 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Sat May 01, 2010 7:52 am

John Valery wrote:muntries, I like to pull through my release, and all though it works very well when it's all going well, for me, it requires lots of practice. The way I do this is to go through my normal shot routine up until I reach my anchor point, then I close my eyes and think of nothing but my release. That way, I can really feel what’s happening without getting distracted by the whole aiming/locking on a spot part of the shot. I'm told that if you do anything 20x for 20 days, you form a habit. (Bad habits are a lot easier unfortunately). When I'm in the field or on the range, I don't even give my release a thought and rely on it being a habit from practice. Certainly worth a try for you mate. You'll be surprised how tight a group you can shoot (at a close range 5-10 yards) with your eyes closed.
I believe John is spot on here Muntries. In both it's effectiveness and the work involved in trying to achieve it. Closing your eyes is a particularly good trick especially for me...I am one of those tragics that get caught up in being impatient to watch the arrow fly. Now my release and general form is pretty good actually but to take it to the next level requires practicing right from the start with a mission and a plan...closing the eyes really helps.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"