tips for hitting running targets

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

mickhut

tips for hitting running targets

#1 Post by mickhut » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:04 pm

has anyone got some tips on how to practice for running targets the muster is comming up and I can never hit that dam pig!

Gene-o

Re: tips for hitting running targets

#2 Post by Gene-o » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Hey Mick,
Your not on your own there mate. :( Might have to set up your own running piece of pork, or better still, more hunting mate. :)
Good luck Mick.

Geneo

matt61

#3 Post by matt61 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi Mick
I do allright at shooting at flying and running targets.The first question to help you is do you shoot off the shelf or a raised rest.
cheers
Matt

mickhut

#4 Post by mickhut » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:15 am

Hi Matt I shoot off the shelf

matt61

#5 Post by matt61 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Mick
One of the ways I practice for shooting at moving targets is pin a small bright object to my practice butt ie a red coke bottle top.Then I start with my back to the butt at a few metres and begin to walk away,loading the bow as I walk I then turn and in one smooth motion I bring the bow up and drawing back in the one motion whilst focusing on the bottle top and when I feel my finger touch the corner of my mouth I release all in about two seconds.I keep doing this to no more than twenty metres from the butt and the I repeat the procedure walking toward the butt.A canted bow works best and practice lots.
Cheers
Matt

mickhut

#6 Post by mickhut » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:29 pm

thanks Matt I will give that a try the worst that can happen is I shoot some holes in the back of my shed. Gene more hunting sounds like a great way to practice too wish I had time to get away.

matt61

#7 Post by matt61 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:56 pm

HI Mick
You will get some flyers,I used to put sheets of old plywood either side of my butt to catch the flyers.Also just stay close, until you are grouping them and then move back as your eye gets better and twenty metres is maximum I would shoot.And when you are out hunting as you walk along shoot at sticks ,weeds etc there are lots of thistles where I hunt for foxes so practice with judo,s shooting the flowers of them.
Matt

mickhut

#8 Post by mickhut » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:56 pm

thanks Matt I will need to do lots of practice I am sick of missing on that target every time I go out there

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I find that if I 'follow through' the target by bringing my point of aim from behind the target, then onto the target and then slightly in front of the target, in one smooth motion, I sometimes get good results. It's surprising to find that you don't need much forward allowance at all, if you use this method.

I also find that an aggressive attitude often helps.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

mickhut

#10 Post by mickhut » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:24 pm

thanks everyone for your help I will let you know how I get on

Jhoneil

#11 Post by Jhoneil » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Wait for it to stop running and shoot at it!

Seriously, depending on the speed of your bow, just aim in front of the target. Maybe a foot in front of the nose. Keep your anchor very close to your eye as well. Follow the target with your arrows as well just like Mick suggested.
Cast in the name of god... ye not guilty

TRASH

#12 Post by TRASH » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:37 pm

Gday Mick
I have found it considerably easier to hit them when they are running at me rather than running away. Try hurling abuse at the beast or pulling a face, it works for me .... everytime... :roll:
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING