Numb fingers

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Nephew

Re: Numb fingers

#31 Post by Nephew » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Better still, if you have heard his opinion, share it with us. :)
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

muntries

#32 Post by muntries » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:20 am

Dennis,

Thanks for that, a very informative and insightful post from you as always. I've been using that deeper hook since this was first posted and haven't had any problems with my fingers, I think my improved grouping was more to do with increased training as opposed to the deep hook and the lack of plucking again is more to do with consciously repeating a more fluid release (touch my shoulder) until it became sub-conscious. The grip is more like the photo rather than on the joints and I'm not sure it is physically possible to rest the string along all the joints and I also noticed that when I was was using the fingertip pads I was twisting the string a little too, something I haven't noticed since. I haven't had much practice lately after the birth of my second son but when I get some practice in I might have a bit more of a an experiment to see what works. The gloves I use are the martin deerskins and I'm happy with them so far but would you suggest a thicker glove and revisit this??
Better still, if you have heard his opinion, share it with us.
Yes Matt, do tell :)

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

excelpoint

#33 Post by excelpoint » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Ok in a nutshell if you are getting numb fingers or callouses then your form is not quite right. The callouses and numbness is caused from the constant friction of the string over the fingers as you release. This is caused by trying to consiously open your fingers to release the string instead of relying on back tension and balanced pulling to pull your fingers off the string. When you dont use your back to draw the bow you create tension in the forearm and back of your hand. The only way to release that tension is to try and open your fingers. There in lies the problem as no matter what you do you can not open your fingers fast enough to clear the string as it moves forward, hence the friction of the string across your fingers.

I suffered the same problems as stated in this thread until I attended Rod's clinic over here. What he said made perfect sense. Since learning back tension(when i get it right) I do not suffer those problems anymore.

Dennis La Varenne

#34 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:52 am

Simon,

I am glad to hear that you have gotten round that problem. I tried the deep finger loose a bit in my yard and I couldn't get the hang of it. But that doesn't mean anything. You put in the hard yards and practised with it and it is working. Well done! Perhaps I didn't give it much of a go, but I haven't ever had a problem with numb fingers. I use a damascus glove if I do any protracted shooting (not much these days) because they never groove, and despite being quite thin, still give me perfectly adequate protection.

I still like bare fingers for hunting where there are relatively few shots and they are widely spaced so the fingers can be rested and short practice shoots in my yard. I am trying to get my muscles back up to something respectable again very slowly after a long absence. Getting going again at 61 takes a bit longer.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.