Bow kicks to the left must be alignment ?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Antonio

Bow kicks to the left must be alignment ?

#1 Post by Antonio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 am

I am assuming I need to work a bit on my alignment .went to the club after having a bit of a break well lets just say .I have not shot an arrow over 6 months .but I do work a little on my form .
I was watching some videos I took last Sunday .
and noticed that my Draw hand goes right as my bow hand or more precise my Bow goes to the left .

I am assuming this is because my alignment is a bit out .meaning maybe my elbow is not far enough back .when i shoot my hand kicks to the left .
I am not shure but I think it should just drop .

I am interested in hearing any ideas on this .I think its alignment but if you have other ideas .

here is a small video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfCyY18Kho

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: Bow kicks to the left must be alignment ?

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:17 am

I wouldn't be worrying about what I just saw. It's pretty good. Just get back into it, and you'll be happy as Larry!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

littlejohn

#3 Post by littlejohn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:06 am

Antonio,
I cant see any of the probs you were describing. It all looks ok to me but I'm no coach, just a point and shoot type of guy. I notice you say your location is Eastern suburbs!!Is that centennial park you are shooting in?????
Pete

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:43 am

Antonio,

I also could not see what you were describing above. It all looked pretty good to me. :D The one problem I did see was that first arrow seemed to shoot off to the left and from viewing the footage it appreared to be arrow related and not caused by your form.

I also noticed that you've had a hair cut too mate. :lol:

Jeff

perry

#5 Post by perry » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Back Tension or lack of it is the issue. Your release hand is flying off the side of your face and the fingers are thrown out. With proper back tension your release fingers should be pointing down slightly and your release hand should travel straight back. This is indicated in the way your bow arm reacts on release

Nothing real critical about your form, most Trad Archers I see about the place have a similar form, myself included. It's never going to give you the Alignment your striving for though. You can improve it but a major re-think of the way you shoot and some serious coaching will be required to get what you seek. I guess you've been watching the instructional DVD's that are the rage just now.

I think you'll be better off if you are more upright. In your avatar picture your standing taller, but still off balance leaning forward, being lead by your head position. With your head tilted forward to that degree it is difficult to use your back muscles as per the DVD's. Again stand taller. Get your feet ,hips and shoulders in vertical alignment first. From here you can adapt to shoot in any position from laying down, kneeling, bent over at the waist to bolt upright

By upright I do not mean standing to attention and by feet , hips and shoulder alignment I do not mean perfectly vertical , I mean in a relaxed natural stance which is slightly forward on the balls of your feet not your heels or flat footed.

There is no such thing as a bad release, what there is, is a bad bow arm. Your bow arm controls every aspect of your release! A good bow arm will assist greatly with a crisp clean release and maintaining the best back tension you can. As you draw your bow it is vital to maintain that initial push with your bow arm.

With your elbow locked solid that way you are also using a lot of muscle, this is tiring and causes a lot of inconsistency, possibly the inconsistency Jeff noticed. You need to get your bow arm elbow in a natural pointing position with your skeleton supporting your bow arm, not hyper extended supported by muscles.

I reckon you can compromise from what you may have seen in the DVD'S if you are unwilling for a total rethink of your form. It could be your body will not allow perfect alignment despite your best efforts. I have a shoulder injury which in conjunction with being of a solid build that stops me achieving proper alignment with my shoulders. The joint is not capable of moving that far.

Again, get your head more upright, stand taller, feet, hips, shoulder alignment, maintain that push pull throughout your cycle from draw until release and your release hand will travel straight back a little with your fingers pointing down. Touching your shoulder / a big flourish etc is not necessary to complete your shot. Your hand may only move straight back and just touch your ear. So long as it is a consistent finish

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Antonio

#6 Post by Antonio » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi Ben and thank you for you're feed back I tend to agree with you so I can work on my alignment but not much of a drastic change more of a tune up than anything ells . :D

Hi Jeff and thank you for the feed back yea I am happy with my form .and I agree with you if it isn't broke don't fix it .just a fine tuning but it . Ha yea the hair cut its great I save money on shampoo. I actually like it better short its good. :D

Hi littlejohn not centennial park I wish it would be a better place to shoot Latham Park, Moverly Road, Coogee. Session times are on each Sunday morning, between 10.30am to 12.15pm. Yea you're right my form is good and to be honest I am happy with it . :D

I would like to get a consistent cant bit more aligned but most of it I am happy with it .

I have not shot for 6 months but I practice my form by picking up a low poundage Long bow that I keep next to my computer and draw it back aiming at a spot on the wall and because its low poundage I let go with the 2 outside fingers and hold the string with the middle finger .

it acts like a release but

I shoot split fingered and I used to practice my form but putting an arrow on the bow and aiming at a spot on the wall and draw and let down but latter I would go to the archery club and notice that I still had target panic because I used to hold on the string and had a problem releasing it in a panic .

so I changed that by grabbing a low poundage bow doing the same thing but when I aim at a spot on the wall (THIS IS THE FIRST RELEASE )I let my to outside fingers let go of the string and still hold with my middle finger .I am saying low poundage bow ,I can do that because its low poundage and there is no strain on the fingers .I do 20 of those then do the same but

(THIS IS SECOND RELEASE )this time I release with my middle finger and hold on to the string with my 2 outside fingers I do that 20 times then go back to the first release 20 times then back to the second release 20 times then last to the first release 20 times .so its a hundred and 15 minutes of form .been paying of for me because I feel in control of the release .

That is without shooting an arrow but it seems to work when I cant actually go shooting .

I suppose all that maters is that it works for me and at the moment I am relay happy with it to be honest .

Hi Perry and thank you for your feed back yea fingers pointing down is some thing I agree with the rest I am pretty happy with it maybe a bit more straight standing not much but a bit .
I don't want to be a target archer but at the same time I want to use all the technology I can in it . :)