New arrow problems

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

littlejohn

New arrow problems

#1 Post by littlejohn » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi guys,
Just bought a few carbon preator 100, arrows for a couple of my lighter bows(in the 40-50 range). Arrows also rated for between 40 - 50. I know these are not trad but I have a heap more wood arrows than carbons. I'm out of feathers at the moment so the woods will have to wait. Anyway I have been shooting my lighter bows with redzone50/70, which Im figuring is ....stiff???but they fly pretty good and you just get used to what you shoot.
When I tried these lighter carbons....every shot I did was throwing its tail up into a massive porpoise and then taking a big dive. Changed bows from 40 to 50. Same result. No accuracy from even 10 - 15 metres. Changed from broadhead to target/field inserts same result. Then tried some of my very....home made woodies...flew straight. I rang up the shop and related the same story, they just said ,'cheap taiwan arrows, bring 'em back'. Only prob is it aint real easy to get out there.....without wasting half a day.
These carbon shafts look like they're straight. I dont get it. Im shooting out of poundage they reccommend. I have wood arrows I know have kinks in them and I can still work with them. These are un workable. I know the product are on the low end of the market but I reckon I should get a better result.
Thoughts?????

longbow steve

Re: New arrow problems

#2 Post by longbow steve » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi LittleJohn, The number of your arrows (100) refers to spine deflection ie) The lower the number the stiffer the spine. For my 50-55lb bows I use 2016 or 500 spine. I could not find 100 spine arrows in the Easton charts but my gut tells me you have a shaft that is much to stiff for your bow. http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/09-hunt-sel-chart.pdf
Regards Steve

Antonio

Re: New arrow problems

#3 Post by Antonio » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:49 pm

five years ago I brought some cheap arrows for my 55lb longbow .they did what you described .latter I got a 67lb longbow and they shot Ok out of that .
If I did that again (I only use wood now by choice) I would buy some of those 300 grain field points if I was target shooting or some how get some weight up front .