Target Panic - my Solution

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Target Panic - my Solution

#1 Post by perry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:51 am

First up folks, this is the 3rd time I've posted this, naturally the computer has crashed twice, absolute genius was lost :shock: and naturally this 3rd version does not read as brialliantly :roll: - the computer will be panicking and be a Target if it crashes a 3rd time :twisted: :twisted:
Yes Greybeard I cut and Paste from Office :D

I've read with interest reference's made to Target Panic on other threads over a period of time and last weekend at the North Albert Rendezvous I talked with folks and the common point seemed to be they where stressing about shooting in a competitive environment.

This thread is an insight into what gave me the tools required to subdue Target Panic, not eliminate it. If I'm shooting poorly or Target Panic rears it's head still, it's because I have forgotten a basic principal I'll describe soon. The other thing that happens as a result is that my conscious mind takes over and messes things up

I think it was Asham [ no doubt Grahame A will correct me ] that suggested the whole point of shooting a Bow and Arrow was to hit the mark. True it's desired and makes us feel warm and fuzzy but should it be the primary focus?

I believe hitting the mark needs to be a secondary focus. The main focus should be developing the form and most importantly Shot Sequence to be able to consistently hit the mark. Stressing about hitting the mark in my view breeds anxiety which is only a hop skip and jump away from Target Panic.

I fought through it for years, it has cost me National titles and records [ note I cost me ] 2 nd again ggrrrrrrrr . It's caused me [ note I caused me ] to miss trophy game and I've had to buy many a round of drinks because I suffer from it.

In 05, my last full competition year [ Thanks Mandy ] Target Panic took over early. I pushed through it and was not satisfied despite being on track to meet the targets I set along the way to my ultimate Goal for that competition year.

I finally realised on a hunting trip after a series of blown shots at a Goat I was focused on the end result, not the lead up to it. It rang home on the field coarse as well. I pondered and finally realised I needed to get back to basics and build confidence in my Shot Sequence. Your Shot sequence must be repeatable, otherwise it's not possible to shoot consistently. I was paying it lip service only.

What is the shot sequence, simply it's the series of steps you take along the way to loosing an arrow. For those technically minded have a look at this link. http://www.kslinternationalarchery.com/ ... glish.html . Some may say not relevant to Traditional archery barebow style , think again and adapt the basic principal

I'm also overly competitive by Nature. My missus recons being a Virgo, perfectionist and Anal retentive as well so I have a myriad of ways to screw things up if things don't go right.

So I simply changed my focus from striving to hit the mark to perfecting a Shot sequence and recording the number of "in the zone shots" I experienced each time I shot be it practice, comp or bowhunting.

I also switched from keeping track of my scores and using this as a means to measure my improvement / indicator of meeting targets along the way to Goals to recording the number of "in the zone shots" in a notebook I carried.

End result of developing a good repeatable [ still a work in progress] shot sequence I near quadrupled the number of "in the zone shots" I exceeded every target and meet my major Goal for that 3DAAA comp year. I nailed a couple of good pigs and Goats out hunting. At the end of the year I checked my scores against the previous several years and had improved from averaging sub 50 to high 60's

So give it a go folks, even without as much practice as I need to do by developing my shot process to the point of it becoming ingrained I still manage to shoot well enough to keep me happy most of the time
Last edited by perry on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

Re: Target Panic - my Solution

#2 Post by GrahameA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:43 am

Hi Perry.

My solution - I shoot arrows for the sheer beauty of the arrows in flight. The only time I stress is when I see a huge mound of Lantana behind the Target or a Crocodile up a tree.

I have been competition oriented in the past but at the moment I don't really care. I just enjoy te fellowship and watching my arrows fly. The only person I worry about is myself.

Having said all that you can train to operate under stress - I have an excellent Club Coach who will lean over your shoulder and suggest you are going to miss the shot when you are at full draw. He will even get a class of beginners chattering away as you are demonstrating the accuracy of compounds and you are are shooting at a very small inner gold.

You just have to block it all out and enter the shot sequence ignoring all else. Easier said than done but it is achievable.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

perry

#3 Post by perry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:57 am

That's part of the skill Grahame, blocking out the distractions and thrilling in an arrow's arch and towards it's mark. This is where the subconscious being in charge up until the arrow is loosed excels.

One point I neglected to make is that the hardest thing in the world to do is to stop the shot, let down if something is not right and start again. This should be practiced when your mates are ribbing you or have a camera stuck in your face etc as you have suggested so it's no problem during a Comp or when a Stag of a lifetime is in easy bow range.

But yes mate , having fun is the key above all else

regards Jacko
Last edited by perry on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Brumbies Country

#4 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:03 am

Great post Perry

TP is a lot more prevalent than many of us realise. You've hit the nail on the head-it's born very much of ambition of shooting better scores and the brain getting in the way. Reckon you've also hit the nail on the head re concentration on form being the key to helping overcoming it.

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Perry.

Just ignore the camera it may or may not take a photo. :-) The reality here is that if you want to shoot under competitive conditions the time will come when you will be required to perform in front of a large number of people. Many people struggle to shot with any noise in the background I suggest that you learn to ignore the crowd and other things early. No matter what is said the only thing that is controlling the shot is you - not the crowd. The SQAS Field Range is an excellent training ground for learning how to deal with unexpected. The Field Range is close to the Shooting line of one of the Big Bore ranges at Belmont. There is nothing quite like the sound and feel of a big bore competition occurring at the same time as you are shooting field. At full draw and just about to release and someone fires there Big Bore rifle or small cannon. You just have to learn to ignore it. If you struggle with one camera how would be with the worlds cameras on you at the finals of the Olympics against a Korean or Chinese archer - there supporters bring whistles to help you concentrate.

As an example watch some of this and listen to the noise in the background:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPIxfNTR2e8

Stopping the shot sequence can be interesting. As I said earlier for me once the Clicker goes off the I will release - it is a learnt response (think Pavlov's Dogs).

If you are target shooting I would suggest that stopping the sequence once you have entered the final stage is bad. You need to enter into the "zone" block out the world and then everything happens.

Hi Simon.

Form is concerned more with the physical aspects of how you stand, release, etc. When we talk about the shot sequence we are more interested in a series of steps that flow together culminating with the arrow release.

As an example and this is for me only with a target recurve the final sequence components are to have the target floating as a blur in the centre of the sight ring (or if I am using my Titan lens the dot centred on the blur of the gold) once that has occurred I will start to expand to pull the arrow through the clicker and I will release upon feeling/hearing the clicker go off. I start blocking out all external distractions from the moment I start to aim the bow and generally the time between starting the expansion and release is short.

These are not separate individual steps rather they all merge into each other as a continual flow process of making the shot.

I find it hard to stop the shot once I am at that stage. What will cause me to stop is something obviously not right or taking excessive time to settle. If I am at full draw for more than several seconds I will let down and start again - usually that is the result of wind blowing the stabiliser around and in making the sight picture unstable. As an opinion here - if you want to become really good do not constantly swap between bow types and styles I do swap often but for me the enjoyment is in the fun of shooting the gear not the score.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Brumbies Country

#6 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 am

GrahameA wrote:Hi Perry.

Stopping the shot sequence can be interesting. As I said earlier for me once the Clicker goes off the I will release - it is a learnt response (think Pavlov's Dogs).

If you are target shooting I would suggest that stopping the sequence once you have entered the final stage is bad. You need to enter into the "zone" block out the world and then everything happens.

Hi Simon.

Form is concerned more with the physical aspects of how you stand, release, etc. When we talk about the shot sequence we are more interested in a series of steps that flow together culminating with the arrow release.

As an example and this is for me only with a target recurve the final sequence components are to have the target floating as a blur in the centre of the sight ring (or if I am using my Titan lens the dot centred on the blur of the gold) once that has occurred I will start to expand to pull the arrow through the clicker and I will release upon feeling/hearing the clicker go off. I start blocking out all external distractions from the moment I start to aim the bow and generally the time between starting the expansion and release is short.

These are not separate individual steps rather they all merge into each other as a continual flow process of making the shot.

I find it hard to stop the shot once I am at that stage. What will cause me to stop is something obviously not right or taking excessive time to settle. If I am at full draw for more than several seconds I will let down and start again - usually that is the result of wind blowing the stabiliser around and in making the sight picture unstable. As an opinion here - if you want to become really good do not constantly swap between bow types and styles I do swap often but for me the enjoyment is in the fun of shooting the gear not the score.
Hi Grahame

When I was talking in terms of form, I was thinking that concentrating on the sequence of the shot rather than where the arrow hits and scores is, as Perry was alluding to, is a very good way to start to overcome target panic. Of that shot sequence the all important thing for me should be constant point of anchor and constant draw length. Using Denis Lavarenne's technique has got me well on the road to improvement, but there was one thing I didn't take care of properly and that is cutting all arrows to be able to feel the pile prior to release wiyhout a clicker. Mick Smith mentioned this on a different thread recently. My Scottish ancestry somehow implanted this notion that if I leave them an inch long, then when I inevtably break a point then they are reusable. Well I started last night by cutting back 6 arrows to true draw length and put on 125gr points to replace 100gr to keep spine right, particularly for shooting round the handle. I reckon one big thing re all this is to stick with one bow. Like you I love playing round with different longbows, both self and fibreglass laminated. Have made the decision to stick with my ELB no matter what. Change in bows, change in consistency, loss of confidence...downward spiral. I just enjoy playing with different bows and that's fair enough if one's primary enjoyment is that. I know people who can pick up different bows and shoot great scores with the. I am a very ordinary mortal and need to recognise that :cry: .

Interesting your reference to background noise and distraction. We head an ABA comp recently at Lithgow. Black powder club next door. No problems at all with any sort of noise distraction. That personally has never been a problem, more the interferance from one's own head :roll:

Cheers

Simon

perry

#7 Post by perry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:24 am

Just baiting you with the camera mate. Shooting with a camera on me, in front of crowds does not bother me so much, ie like the top 10 shoot out in a 3d comp etc. Of coarse it's damm hard to ignore a mate poking a stick into your ear. Best to take stock when this happens. I shoot shotguns and Lever rifles, firearms discharging does not bother me when I'm aware they are / could be in the vicinity such as out at Belmont or Ipswich.

Perhaps I was not clear when I mentioned stopping the shot sequence. IE Sometimes I get to full draw , perhaps it may be just after I step up to the peg without getting the whole way into the shot. A little voice harps, somethings not right. I've learned to Ignore this little voice and continue the shot at my peril. If the little voice happens too late at the instant of release for instance, I'd agree 100% but this has never been an issue for me and even then it indicates your conscious mind has taken over.

It simply means I'm not in the zone and doubt is in my mind, Conscious mind has taken over and this messes me up. This little voice has made itself felt out hunting aswell. Listening to this little voice has helped at Tournaments and put game on the ground. Thankfully the little voice harping [ when it's not my wife ] only happens occasionly ]

It works for me

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Perry.

Yeah I know you were baiting - have you thought about a Deer up a tree next time? For me I try hard to turn all the little voices off in my head.

Hi Simon.

Free tip. It you use a Hoyt Super rest or equivalent the little plastic hook will catch on the head thus acting as a draw check.. i use to shoot with a Canadian that use to feel for the the tip of the arrow with their finger to ensure they had draw far enough back - and interesting technique I thought.

IMHO we all would be better archers if we had more of an open mind and read, looked and listened more and then critically evaluated things without letting our pre-conceived ideas and biases get in the way.
Grahame.

Brumbies Country

#9 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Grahame, I reckon you are spot on on both counts. Those little plastic arrow rests are great on a recurve, my only problem being they weren't around prior to 1900 and they look a bit wiered on an ELB :lol:.

Yes, couldn't agree more re reading and talking to expand one's mind re any aspect of archery.

One thing relevant to TP: I reckon a priceles asset is to be able to stop and let down at any stage of the shot sequence. So easy to say; if you have TP however there is a pressure to release somewhere in the rough vicinity of your anchor point and surprisingly hard to let down once you get the affliction.

Simon

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:33 pm

Mmmm ... interesting.

Yes, it's true. You've certainly the most prone to get a bout of the dreaded TP when in a competitive environment.

It's also true that you can only subdue target panic. You can't dispose of it completely, unfortunately.

I suppose I have partly overcome my target panic by initiating a strict step by step regime for each and every shot. This regime, not unlike Perry's, is all about correct form and the reinforcing of it. The regime is my tool to be used in the face of a bout of target panic. It's sort of like having my very own antidote for TP, except it doesn't alway work. I sometimes find myself 'rushing' the shot. I've done everything necessary, but far too quickly. I release the arrow before I'm fully focused on the 'spot'. This is yet another aspect of target panic, I suppose.

All in all, I think I've made good progress in combating my target panic. Unfortunately, it hasn't turned me into the good shot I've always wanted to be, but I believe there's other reasons for this. It is convenient to blame the old TP sometimes though. :)

Good thread Perry. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

perry

#11 Post by perry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Mick, who is the good shot they wont to be :( :D Rushing your shot is a sure sign of the shot process you are developing breaking down. This is one reason I have incorporated coming down / drawing down from my shot into my practice regime to guard against when things don't feel right.

I have found the best place to "introduce" drawing down is definately the blank bale when you are practicing aspects of your form. I draw down on the field coarse or stump shooting when things don't feel right.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

hue

#12 Post by hue » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:07 pm

hiya Perry and all the other guys

you said it in your first post mate!
Form, it's always form.
my first coach was a female recurve olympian and she always said to me
"Hue, if the form is there, the points follow". this was in relation to target archery!
the same can be said for any other kind of archery, irregardless of target.
i never fussed too much if the equipment wasn't 100% perfect, as i said in an earlier thread
" a good archer will shoot mediocre equipment well, a bad archer will shoot the most perfect equipment badly!"
why? form, it's always form!

Hue
I can only be who I am