Shooting glove treatment

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Shooting glove treatment

#1 Post by matt61 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:00 pm

I shoot with a Neet finger glove,I was just wondering what sort of things you guys do to make gloves or tabs last longer ,shoot better etc.I put dubbin and string wax on my glove.
Matt

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Shooting glove treatment

#2 Post by Bill » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:02 pm

I use linseed oil and sometimes add a little bit of WD40 (for it is a fish oil based product). A light amount of oil applied to the leather assists in repeling any moisture and keeps the leather supple....Bill

matt61

#3 Post by matt61 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Bill I have always thought linseed oil was for putting on wood not leather.I'll have try your mix and see how it goes.
cheers
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:35 pm

I don't normally use anything but I did apply some talcum powder a bit years ago.

Jeff

DylanK

#5 Post by DylanK » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 pm

I put nivea moisturiser cream on the outside of the fingers. I find it suppresses the leather from 'furring' up.

Dylan

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Bill » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:15 pm

The pictures below show a couple of finger gloves that I have used, you can see the difference between the treated and untreated glove. Perspiration moisture on the leather strap and finger stalls streached then shrank the leather when it dried out. The glove with the oil mixture treatment kept its shape and pliability. I have tried the army leather lube, bought from a local disposal store but it had such a strong smell about it that I soon discarded it and went about looking for something else, as mentioned before.
Attachments
Finger Glove 3.JPG
Finger Glove 3.JPG (30.32 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Finger Glove 2.JPG
Finger Glove 2.JPG (36.04 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Finger Glove.JPG
Finger Glove.JPG (35.52 KiB) Viewed 2635 times

Trad Bound

#7 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Neatsfoot oil is a leather conditioner and easily available. It what I use to make my sheaths Matt worth a try.
Cheers TonyJ

g_r

#8 Post by g_r » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:06 am

for consweving leather and keeping it subtle i have foung milking grease the best thing to apply. Especially on shoes as it isnt aggresive to the rubber (no acid). And while shooting i sometomes add alittle scent-free-baby-powder to my glove to avoid string-pluck, works for me.
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

matt61

#9 Post by matt61 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi all I bought a new Neet Camo glove because that was the only ones left in my size, wonder how long before I put it down out hunting and can't find it :lol: :roll:,just like all my righthand camo gloves I no longer have,left in the hills.Anyway the new glove shoots very good,so maybe I have stuffed my other gloves by putting stringwax on them,maybe it makes the glove stick to the string :?:.
Matt

Steven J

#10 Post by Steven J » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 pm

Bill, I use linseed oil on leather but apply it when I wish to harden it slightly. The oil polymerises as it reacts with oxygen from the air and stiffens the leather. The polymerisation seems to take place faster with boiled oil.

However... if it works, great.

I don't bother applying anything to my glove. A bit of sweat and grime does the job fine.

The Nivea cream sounds like a good idea. Most cosmetics are just emulsions so you are really just applying the oils as the water will evaporate.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874