fatter shaft........now i'm shooting to the left.

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

fatter shaft........now i'm shooting to the left.

#1 Post by clinton miller » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:33 pm

i've been busy finding the right spine of shaft for the various weights of stone points i have. during testing with a steel field point of the same weight i'm consistently shooting to the left by about 8"-9". i'm mainly a 5/16" carbon shooter, now i'm doing my head in trying to shoot these 11/32" surewoods. :x . no matter what i do i hit 8" to the left. no matter what spine shaft or point weight. so it's not a grossly stiff shaft or anything. i even took aim 8" to the right of the bullseye and whack...bullseye. as soon as i go back to the carbons i'm back on target.

i'm almost convinced that it's because of the thicker shaft sitting out at less centershot.

anyone else had a similar experience?

BTW, i'm a right handed shooter.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Jeffro

Re: fatter shaft........now i'm shooting to the left.

#2 Post by Jeffro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Ive had a few bob lee bows and none of them were centre shot they all push the arrow out to the side a bit.
different arrows different characteristics sounds like you'll just have to get used to them.

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:52 pm

5/16 to 11/32 is only a mm so there must be more going on? Try a touch more brace height bearing in mind the higher the brace the shorter the power stroke.
Is the weight of arrow and point comparable? Steve

UPTHETOP

#4 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Clint as Steve said going to 11/32 from 5/16 shouldnt really be putting you at 8-9 inches to the left.
Maybe 2-3 or something like that. At what distance are you talking about first.
Try knocking an arrow putting the bow up in front of your face make shore the string line is dead centre of your limbs is the wood shafts arrow piont pionting away to the left or strait like the 5/16's.
As steve said try the brace height a little higher and if that dosnt work raise your knock a fraction it may help by pulling the shaft of the shelf a little on the release.
Keep tinkering mate you will get there.
Hey if not there's an excuse to go and buy a new bow that is more cutt to the centre to fit the 11/32 shafts.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:46 pm

i'd just cant the bow a bit more but i'm lazy............Rod

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 pm

I've noticed the same thing when going from 5/16 inch shafts to 11/32. I think the best way around it is to glue on some heavier points or cut the shafts a little longer to reduce the apparent spine slightly.

If you shoot those arrows enough, they will magically start to hit centre again and your carbons will go to the right. Your brain just compensates eventually.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

perry

#7 Post by perry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:29 pm

The arrows are overspined. The more outside of centre a bow is cut the softer spine arrows are required for a given draw weight. Each set on new timber arrows regardless of diameter will shoot a little differant to the last set and fine tuning will be required

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin