The wandering bow arm syndrome

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

The wandering bow arm syndrome

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:48 pm

There are the highly successful archers amongst us who seem to be able to maintain a inhuman consistency. To me, they seem to shoot more like machines than people. Oh, how I envy them. :mrgreen:

From my perspective, there seems to be two sorts of archers, the ones who shoot very consistently and the ones who are just the opposite. A lot of it comes down to basic form and disipline. Good archers have a very rigid and consistent form. Their shoulders, bow arm and anchor lock into a rigid structure and it's always the same for every shot.

Then there are the more unfortunate archers, who have what I call a 'losey goosey' form. These archers don't seems to be able to reconstruct a solid and reproducable full draw structure. It seems their joints are too elastic for this. However, I've noticed that 'losey goosey' archers are often good on moving targets.

I fall under the losey goosey category. For me, consistancy is like trying to remain poised on a knife's edge, where I'm always prone to falling off. My slightest variation of form usually grows into a derpressing shooting slump, most times this happens well before the problem has been diagnosed.

Now, that I have seemed to be able to conquer my ongoing target panic problem, I thought the arrow shooting world was going to be my 'oyster', but no, new problems seem to materialise faster than I can remedy them.

Everything felt fine as I would come to full draw and release, but my arrow seemed to have developed a mind of its own. Some arrows would go straight to where I was looking, but most would go either high and to the right, or low and to the left.

I don't know why it took me so long to track down the problem, but when I finally did, it was apparent that I had developed a 'wandering bow arm'.

It might sound silly, but on reflection most archery related problems are equally obvious once diagnosed. My bow arm had developed a mind of its own. I'm sure we've all been guilty of dropping our bow arm now and then. This tends to happen when we're in a huge hurry to watch where our arrow is heading. It's a huge mistake as your arrow always goes low.

Back to my little problem, not only was I dropping my bow arm far more frequently than usual, I had developed a silly little 'flourish' of my bow arm wrist when releasing the arrow. Without even knowing it, I was flicking my wrist in a clockwise direction, as well and lifting my bow arm slightly. It was an unwanted addition to my shooting regime. It took me ages to realise that my 'high to the right' shots were a result of this. I already knew my low and to the left shots were a result of me dropping my bow arm.

What's the best way to ensure this doesn't happen to you? Well, its very simple really, you simply hold your bow arm nice and steady. The best way to do this is to always watch your arrows fly by continuing to watch the arrow's flight through the bow's sight window. Don't drop your bow arm (or do a flourish) until the arrow has impacted. If you do this, your bow arm must remain relatively stationary throughout the shot, as it should.

I doubt that I'm the only person who has had problems of this nature. Perhaps you are experiencing similar problems and you just don't realise it yet. If so, I hope this little bit of information will be helpful.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

piggy

Re: The wandering bow arm syndrome

#2 Post by piggy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Mate good to see you still around!
I don't put much thought into my shooting I just shoot my bow, I find the more I thing about form and the like the worse my shooting becomes.
As I only really hunt and not target shoot the first arrow I shoot is the most important on to me.

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Gap-shooting has really helped me, as well as closing one eye at closer ranges. Very naughty, I know.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Loosing as I bring my bow arm down or collapsing whilst trying too hard/too long to line up my string and arrow for the perfect shot are basically my main problems. By concentrating this is quickly mastered. I have to say though by really practicising a few hundred arrows per week as well as competing shooting Fremantles and Canberras as much as possible [weekly] is the best way to reach a steady platform.

Couple of thoughts that work for me:
* I use a bowsling as torquing the bow /squeezing / twisting the bow hand is a big no no
* keep staring at your aiming point rather than watch the arrow flight until you hear the arrow hit. This gets more important the further out. Watching arrow flight means lifting your head and you cannot shoot consistently if your mind is preparing to lift your head as you shoot.
* heavy timber arrows track well. I use really heavy timber [10-12 grains per pound] arrows out to 60 and 70 metres
* do not discount long distance target competition for improving your form but do not overbow

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks for the kind words piggy. :D

I only seem to have trouble when shooting at targets. Like you, when I'm out hunting I very rarely shoot badly. Even when I miss a bunny, it's never by very much at all. Yet I can entirely miss a large 3D target quite easily.

I think it's because when I'm hunting I'm totally focused on what I'm doing, as opposed to shooting targets, where my mind seems to wander. I believe that you can think too much about taking a shot. You really need to just do it.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Tony

It's good to hear that there are others out there like myself. :wink: If you realise what the problem is and how you should rectify it, then it's just a temporary problem. It's still annoying though. :)

Mick

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Ben

Thanks for your input mate. Unfortunately I've found that gap shooting just doesn't work for me at all. If I look anywhere but the spot where I want my arrow to hit, the shot is sure to go wild. I can't even take a glance at my arrow when I'm at full draw. I know that I can see it though in my periphal vision.

I do sometimes partly close my left eye just prior to the shot though.

Mick

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks also for your considered input Kevin. :wink:

I totally agree with everything you've said. The only area where I might not take your advice is on arrow weight. I know that heavy arrows perform very well, but I've found that lighter arrows seem to perform better overall when shooting 3D, as they're flatter shooting on the longer targets. There's less room for error. I like my hunting arrows quite heavy though. With a bit of stuffing around, I can get both my lightweight and heavy arrows shooting very much the same at close ranges.

Talking about collapsing shoulders, I believe this is what happened to me when I was shooting clout with you recently at the Black Griffin event. You may recall, my scores were splendid until all of a sudden they started to get very ordinary indeed. I was shooting my hunting bow on that day, and after lunch I really started to feel the heavy draw weight. I believe the reason why my arrows started dropping slightly short, was that my shoulder was partially collapsing, plus I was bending my bow arm more than usual. I'll have to build up before the next shoot. :wink:

Mick

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:58 am

The silly part of that was the incredibly good groups you were shooting for such a meagre return compared to what I thought I knew of your ability. I suspected creep at the time. As some of us get older, even by a few years, and this includes me, the body bits are not quite as flexible, resilient or powerful. Overbowing causes a lot of problems when shooting a lot of arrows in the day. I am thinking of going from 49# to a 46# d/r longbow.
The d/r s seem to offer the characteristics of speed and cast of a heavier bow. I had to shoot my old 43# bow the other day and I really enjoyed the lesser draw weight. Shooting got just a bit difficult using my usual heavy timber arrows out at 60m. I figure that halving the gap in draw weights will be the answer. I suspect that it will be much easier to shoot timber clout arrows too, instead of having to use those shark finned tooth picks of mine.
I expect to have to review this every 5years or so. I would hate to injure myself using too heavy a bow and not be able to shoot at all.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

perry

#10 Post by perry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Im my experience I have found the wandering bow arm to be a major cause of form issues. Its easier said than done but the way I have found to ensure a consistent bow arm and help immeaserably with overall consistency is to push / pull throughout the shot process.

By way of example have a look at video of Howard Hills form and you will see he uses a swing draw which creates the back tension required to keep your bow arm pushing and the drawing arm pulling continuously throughout the shot process. I'm not saying its necessary to swing draw to acheive this but it sure is a lot easier doing it in my veiw.

Without a bow in your hand adopt your normal stance and go through the motion of drawing your bow making sure you point naturally to a distant target. As you approach the top of your draw length continue pushing gently with your bow arm allowing your skeleton to fall into place and naturally lock your bowarm into position, do not hyper extend your elbow - this is a muscular means of support and you will tire quickly causing inconsistency. Use your skeleton to support your bowarm ,it's vital.

Done correctly you will feel the muscles inbetween your shoulder blades bunch up as never before and lock you into a consistent drawlength and great release. Seek out a top compound shooter who uses a back tension release or Fita coach for further guidance, soon you will be a far more consistent archer.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Chuditch

#11 Post by Chuditch » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:40 pm

There are a few factors which affect my form.

Fatigue
ie shooting the bow for too long makes my bow arm tired. This becomes more apparent when I shoot heavier bows for a longer time/more arrows than I usually would.

Drawing past my drawlength;
I recently have been shooting lighter bows in the 45 to 50 lb. I experimented in closing my stance and drawing past my 29.5-30" draw with the odd result being my wrist lost structure and the bow seemed to move to the left a little. This became more of a worry at longer distances. Arrows went left by a lot at 30 to 40 metres using lighter bows and to the left and high using the heavier weight bows (arrows are matched to each bow btw). Things improve greatly drawing to my correct length and to my familiar anchor point.

Holding draw for too long
I cannot hold a bow at full draw for very long without greatly affecting the accuracy of a shot. the longer I hold, the worse it gets. If I shoot as I naturally do with a moment to settle and then follow through correctly with back tension I need only draw and shoot, or at least it seems to appear that way but there is indeed a slight wait as everything settles in place.

I notice that my form tends to improve from a slump when I shoot my Ted Kramer 'autumn' HH style longbow. It seems to take the fancy out of shooting and settle me back to basics perhaps.

For the record I do no target shoot much at all and have never shot a 3d round, my practise involves mainly stump shooting and ranging while out walking.

Cheers,

Adam
DjidiDjidi, Nullark Gullart Nyarrt.

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Great way to beat fatigue is to shoot a lot of long distance target. A couple of 144 arrow FITA 60m a week with 30 arrows each other day into stumps etc will sort out fatigue issues. Certainly consolidates your form. I find I gap shoot 90 dow to 40 metres then combine gap / instinctive down to 30 metres then under it go straight instinctive.
Other side to consistency is to se the same bow and have aloys and woods in or near the same mass range. The trick then is to quickly identify any need to adjust shots because of changed or out of ordinary conditions.

Kev