Ambidextrous Instinctive shooting

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Polarbear

Ambidextrous Instinctive shooting

#1 Post by Polarbear » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Anybody out there shoot left and right handed instictivly?
I am left handed but learned to shoot right handed. When i had enough cash for a bow i bought a left handed compound as i was shooting sights and was left eye dominant. I shoot a left handed recurve (60# huntsman) and get good groups and have taken some game (pig, dingos) over the last 18 months since picking it up.

I was wondering, i've notice alot of good 2nd hand recurves and long bows coming up for sale that are great prices and are right handed, i like to thing that variety is the spice of life and you can never own too many bows as each is a different experence to shoot. I have tried right handed traditional bows and i don't feel much of a differnce when it comes to comfort and form and i often shoot a right handed, sighted compound when i get the oppertunity.

Has anybody out there learned to shoot with thier dominant hand but then switched to thier non dominant hand? I don't plan on switching to right handed shooting completetly, i just wanted to switch between bows every once in a while.
Will learing to shoot right handed affect the insticts i've learned shooting left handed?
Is it a case of shooting with left or right hand only?
Thanks Guys

P.S. sorry bout the spelling :?
We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes

longbowinfected

Re: Ambidextrous Instinctive shooting

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:30 pm

I shoot longbow left and right handed but I am a gap shooter.
I prefer though to shoot the one bow only with the one set of arrows as much as possible.
For me doing the same thing repetitively is the basis of maintainig and improving good form.
I never feel the need to spice things up.....love shooting heaps of arrows.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Brumbies Country

#3 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:22 am

As Longbow Infected has stated consistency in everything is the basis of consistent archery shooting form. Having said that I was glancing through one of the US trad archery sites the other day and there were at least a couple of threads going on switching from R to L or VV. Guys had done it principally after significant shoulder pathology or surgery but some had switched as a last resort for curing target panic. Following the threads, it seems a number had made the transition without as much trouble as they'd expected. The predicted problem of eye dominance were overcome more readily than one would imagine. One would think that fairly quickly becoming instinctive on the other side would not occur readily and it might be that you'd start with conscious gap shooting, proceeding through split vision to instinctive. The prominent US thinking seemed to be that there is not alot of difference between these three espoused methods of aiming. Unless you are completely ambidextrous in terms of equal strength both arms obviously a lower weight bow to start with makes sense.

One advantage for those of us who have bows that we shoot off our hands- wouldn't need to buy new gear :lol: .

By the way, I'm not a USaphile. Just they a lot of guys shooting trad, and there's a fair weight of informed experienced opinion.

Simon

terryzac

#4 Post by terryzac » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 pm

i am left handed but have been taught most things right handed. i shoot a bow better with my right hand than my left but can do pretty well with my left. i was taught to shoot a rifle with my right but can shoot just as well with both hands, normally shoot more with my left though, unless its a semi auto as the shells have a habit of burning my cheek as they leave the rifle.i can do most anything with both hands. my longbows are all able to be shot both left and right
terry