Radiused shelves vs Square Shelves

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Brumbies Country

Re: Radiused shelves vs Square Shelves

#31 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:04 pm

longbowinfected wrote:I wonder relatively speaking how often a string breaks and what the injury risk is?

Kevin
Hi Kevin

I've had one Flemish twist ff break on my 40lb laminated longbow. Gave me a hell of a fright and thought I'd broken the bow, but no injury to me or the bow. Can't recall an arrow breaking on drawing. The only injury I've experienced was my first home built ash ELB breaking after 400 or so shots and the shorter section producing a picturesque welt across the forehead with a bit of broken skin. I've had a couple of selfbows break since then but fortunately the bits missed.

Simon

longbowinfected

#32 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:33 pm

Simon,

only ever had a string break once, a Flemmish twist, as I was stringing the bow, it broke at the wear point at the top of the loop. The bow smacked me in the face severely. Never used a Flemmish again.....still remember how much that hurt. It was only a couple of weeks old but I think a slight rough bit of the string nock groove may have been the cause or at least a contributing factor......rude shock as I was getting ready for a tournament....almost lost an eye. Glad it was not a warbow.

Amazing amount of ground covered because of your thread Simon.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#33 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:25 am

Kevin,

I have not had an arrow break on release that I can recall but have seen photos of the results of such. The likely hood of it happening is slim if good shafts are used and the arrows checked regularly after being shot.

The fault with your string was not that it was a Flemish Twist string IMO but obviously there would have been something chaffing it at the string nock as you have mentioned. I have seen a string nearly cut through in one ABA shoot because of badly done string nocks.

I agree, we sure have covered some ground in this thread - all good though. :D

Jeff

longbowinfected

#34 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Jeff,
you are right about the string nock. Any type of string would have been affected but a normally served endless loop may have lasted a bit longer because of the serving when compared to a relatively unpadded Flemmish twist string. The cause was the string nock and it was fixed. I spend more time checking the seating of the string, the brace height and arrow nock height these days and always carry extra strings.
I have nothing against the Flemmish twist strings per se and it was well made.
I bought my own endless loop jig [Sherwood] and learnt how to make my own endless loop strings. I like them and that will do me. I do not feel the need to learn another way to make a string.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#35 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:07 pm

Yep, use what best suits you mate. I just like the Flemish Twist myself and oh, they do look so much better than the endless type. :mrgreen:

Jeff

looseplucker

#36 Post by looseplucker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:46 am

Can you do crochet as well?
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#37 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:54 am

No! :D

Jeff

looseplucker

#38 Post by looseplucker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Embroidery?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#39 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Hey, you're the one with the fancy finger actions - playin' that five string thing in ya avatar. :lol:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#40 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Jeff only knows how to knit ,and arrange flowers. :lol: poor old gent..........Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#41 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:05 pm

:mrgreen:

longbowinfected

#42 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:45 am

Looseplucker,

I will make a point of learning to do crochet [the big loop string bag type] if you promise to wear the mankini / budgie smugglers I would make for you [to be worn after the kids go to bed at the next trad shoot and not as an undergarment......picture proof required].
I was going to make the hook/ needle thingies out of a couple of cricket stumps......soon as I learn to carve.....after I learn to make the carving knife.

Kevin

looseplucker

#43 Post by looseplucker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:08 pm

My kids get embarrassed if I wear a Jacky Howe....anyhow, I make my own strings, spun up from single strand linen......but I am real man, I use an electric drill, even though the wife offered me some of her kit.

On that wise though, if you tie your own fishing flies/lures etc do not go bankrupt buyking stuff from a tackle shop - go to Lincraft - about 95% cheaper. Just don't get caught there by your mates.....Jeff :oops: