newbie - where to start :)

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

billb

newbie - where to start :)

#1 Post by billb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi there,
I'm actually one of those evil compound bow shooters who really likes the complex engineering of wheelie bows.

My partner however is interested in trying archery & she is very interested in some of the beautiful pieces of craftsmanship and the elegant simplicity that goes into wooden recurves & longbows.

As a simple starting place we're going to go into archery supplies in canberra soon to have a look at what they've got that's of reasonable quality but suitable for a beginner. From the wingspan measure her drawlength is about 25" and she''s never used archery muscles so will need a fairly light draw weight. From looking through this & other sites I'm thinking she'd want a bow of ~60-64" and a weight of mid to high 20#'s.

I realise that they are the very basic things so what else do I really need to consider for a beginner who's never tried any archery before? Remember, I like compounds so am not very good at the keep it simple stupid principle :)

Any advice appreciated.

tracker

Re: newbie - where to start :)

#2 Post by tracker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Hey Bill... good deal getting your partner into Archery.

As you say the lighter poundage is probably the way to go. In my experience the problem with light poundage bows is that you really need to get fussy about your arrows. A small difference in spine or head weight can make a HUGE difference in where those arrows end up. The higher the poundage you shoot the easier it is to get an arrow flying straight in my experience.

If you find some carbons that shoot well out of your partner's new bow that will be a good start. <Easily repeatable>.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:29 pm

It sounds like you are on the right track with draw weight and length.

There are a few DVDs I would recommend which cover shooting and tuning: "Masters of the Barebow" volumes 1, 2 and 3, as well as the "Black Widow Tour and Tuning" DVD.

I'm sure the shop will have a suitable bow, and should be able to get you started with some arrows.

Good luck!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

hue

#4 Post by hue » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:30 pm

don't buy anything yet Billb
i would highly recommend that your partner visits a club (a trad friendly club) and gets some tuition in shooting first.
it is a false premise to assume that she would need a light poundage bow to start off with as she could grow out of it very quickly.
perhaps if you were to pm longbowinfected (Kevin) and seek his advice about a club in your area, that really is the best thing to do

good luck

Hue

a friend of mine described herself as slight and only wanted to shoot a 25# bow, a couple weeks worth of work and she ordered herself a 40# bow
I can only be who I am

tracker

#5 Post by tracker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:43 pm

hue wrote:
a friend of mine described herself as slight and only wanted to shoot a 25# bow, a couple weeks worth of work and she ordered herself a 40# bow
+1

VERY important point Hue... The Archery Supplies in canberra sold me a 30 pound recurve when I went in and told them I wanted to go hunting... absolute turds and I should have gone back and smashed 'em.... a couple of months later I was shooting my 72 pound longbow I bought off Adam.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

hue

#6 Post by hue » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:51 pm

yeah, i've heard that before Tracker!
it does not take long with some decent coaching and practice, to build up to the higher poundages.
it's all in the muscle toning, not strength! and proper formwork

Hue
I can only be who I am

billb

#7 Post by billb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Thanks for the advice!
Thats interesting about how quickly the muscles adjust.

Problem with the club is we live an hour or so south of Canberra so getting up there for a session is difficult but sounds like it would be well worthwhile.
There's 3 Canberra clubs but I can;t see a particular Traditional reference in any of them. Tuggeranong would be easiest for us physically so we'll see what we can do.
edit - there's also Capital Field Archers which are great (I've shot there twice) but they are even further away & there were no trads at all there when I was there :(

longbowinfected

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:31 pm

My daughter started on a 24# longbow made by my mate Steve a couple of years ago but distance of 40 metres for competitions was a problem till I sorted out Jazz 1416 with 4 small low profile feathers. She has now graduated to a 35# with the same arrows at age 13.
She can shoot my 43# longbow for prolonged periods but has agreed that the lighter bow is more suitable for all day shooting and she is less likely to get injured. I think she wil be asily managing 45# by next year.. two years from 24# - 45#. You could spend a lot of money unecessarily.

Talk to the people at Tuggeranong. They have a number of really thoughtful longbowers that I have come to know and respect. Seek out Richard Husselbee and Yankee Bob Keenan about longbows and Mick Turner and Ms Francess Atkins about bare bow recurve..... apolgies to any un named folk down that way because there are a heap of talented barebowers spread throughout ACT in AA.

Personally I would suggest that your lady learn on a bare recurve and this shoud start 14-18 # to begin with. Then start with a reasonable priced take down [budget club Samicks are reasonable ] starting with 24# limbs and then progress to higher poundage. When she gets to the near 30# mark, try a few longbows. The lower poundage top end Samicks are quite good. These entry level bows are easy to resell to beginners. The benefit of being technically sound with a recurve first for about a year cannot be under estimated.

If she develops good form her progression will be easier. Then you have to sort out arrows. I suggest she starts with Jazz alloys as they are real value, pretty tough and very consistent.
It is really important that arrows are matched in mass and length.....very hard to get your body to perform exactly the same if the pills are all different
Do not progress to timber arrows or a custom longbow until you have a better view of the road ahead. She will take about a year to be good and another year to be near the top of her game.
Shooting longbow is romantic and fun but the glow wears off quickly without success.
With others around the journey is easier.

I wish you both a lot of luck. look forward to meeting you both on the field.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Longclaw

#9 Post by Longclaw » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi guys, I'm billb's partner. He just showed me this thread and I figured I should join too :)

Thanks for your responses. That is really interesting about the draw weight. I assumed I would be at a light draw weight for a looong time before my muscles caught up!

This is probably a stupid newbie question, but would you guys recommend a recurve over a longbow, or vice versa, for someone like me? Is one easier to learn on than the other?

edit: thanks Kevin, we must have posted almost simultaneously :) That makes sense about starting with a recurve.
Emma

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Welcome to the site Longclaw and I think you have gotten some great advice above. All the best and I hope you enjoy shooting bows n arras. :D

Jeff

Longclaw

#11 Post by Longclaw » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks Jeff :) I'm already searching to see where I can get those dvds Ben mentioned!
Emma

billb

#12 Post by billb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:02 pm

geeze, what a friendly mob you traditionalists are!
Thanks very much indeed, most appreciated!

tracker

#13 Post by tracker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 pm

billb wrote:geeze, what a friendly mob you traditionalists are!
Bill... now you and longclaw have found ozbow.. you'll never leave... lol... they truly are a nice bunch of people...

Mick.

longbowinfected

#14 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:06 am

You wait until you go to your first traditional gathering: it will blow your mind.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

stringnstik

#15 Post by stringnstik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:11 am

Bilb and Longclaw,
A warm welcome indeed. Im still new only about a year at it now and I still remember the breath of fresh air and the enjoyment when I and my family first turned up at ozbow and a trad scene shoot. Just amazing down to earth people. Put your hand up and say "I dont get it" and youll have dozens of helpful friendly advisers handing out info, and even equipment sometimes. you have embarked on a wonderful journey and the best journeys always have great friends along with you.

I also thought twice about the poundage before purchase. My wife went straight to a 35# and myself a #45 longbow and we have had no problems. However for the first few weeks we used clubs recurvs to get the form right under lower (25#I think). Thats the good thing about clubs.
Anyway there is plenty, that others on here are far more qualified to tell.
So let LOOSE!!
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

looseplucker

#16 Post by looseplucker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Down at Lyneham there are a number of people who shoot longbow (and horsebow) they are generally out on a Sunday morning. Not all the bows are all wood - most are wood with glass. The club also has a number of club recurves for use and all the tuition for the novice- I took my young bloke down there and it is pretty good.

I've not been to Tuggeranong yet, but a fair few of the field shooters have wooden bows that they use out there, or so I am told.

You reckon you'd get into timber and leave the billycart bow behind?
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Longclaw

#17 Post by Longclaw » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Billycart bow! :lol:

I think we're going to head up to Tuggeranong this Sunday. Lyneham sounds great but it adds another 1/2 hour to our trip each way. We'll definitely make the trip up there at some point though :)
Emma

looseplucker

#18 Post by looseplucker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Yep - Billycart Bow - first used it in a PM to Jeff. You saw it first here folks!
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

billb

#19 Post by billb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Billycart bow!!
hahahaha

I'm actually a big fan of my billycart bow so won;t be changing anytime soon.

but never say never....

& thanks again for the welcome & info!!

otis.drum

#20 Post by otis.drum » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:21 pm

welcome to the site. you have now sold your sole to the devil. you will never get out of this place :)
Longclaw wrote: I assumed I would be at a light draw weight for a looong time before my muscles caught up!

This is probably a stupid newbie question, but would you guys recommend a recurve over a longbow, or vice versa, for someone like me? Is one easier to learn on than the other?
my partner is a pretty slight build and she shoots a 45#@28", but only draws it to 25", and is pulling about 35#. she can shoot about 15 arrows before she gets tied so it's probably a bit heavy but not by much, and she is building up to it quickly. when she first got it she could only shoot one or two before saying she was tied and retreating to the couch :)

it doesn't take long to build up.

if you accidently back over your hubbies bow, he might be convinced to buy a trad bow :) if he doesn't, he probably will, when you back over the next couple :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
...otis...

hue

#21 Post by hue » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:27 pm

the trick is to shoot whatever bow you choose 4 times or more a week and those muscles won't take long to build up Longclaw and have fun doing it!!!!!!!!!

Hue
I can only be who I am

billb

#22 Post by billb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:31 pm

otis.drum wrote:if you accidently back over your hubbies bow, he might be convinced to buy a trad bow :) if he doesn't, he probably will, when you back over the next couple :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No reshpect! No reshpect :)

otis.drum

#23 Post by otis.drum » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:34 pm

if you accidently back over
No reshpect! No reshpect
it was an accident :!: :wink:
...otis...

Longclaw

#24 Post by Longclaw » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:03 pm

otis.drum wrote: if you accidently back over your hubbies bow, he might be convinced to buy a trad bow :) if he doesn't, he probably will, when you back over the next couple :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hahahahaha!

Thanks Hue, 4 times a week sounds good especially now the days are getting longer. Having fun is definitely the aim! :D
Emma

Longclaw

#25 Post by Longclaw » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:08 pm

We're off to the Tuggeranong club tomorrow - can't wait! Supposed to be a beautiful day too :D
Emma

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Have fun and enjoy shooting a real bow. :shock: :lol:

Jeff

Longclaw

#27 Post by Longclaw » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks Jeff, I had a great time, definitely can't wait to shoot some more :D
Emma

Gringa Bows

#28 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:36 am

welcome to the site Emma and Billb,only just read this thred :) ..............Rod

Blinkybill

#29 Post by Blinkybill » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:06 pm

I also have only just read this thread. :) Welcome guys! Im glad youre enjoying trad archery!
Good Luck!

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

charlievee

#30 Post by charlievee » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Another newbie here. I've just made a deposit on a Viper longbow. I have a brother and nephew that live in Gippsland and are very keen archers. Let's just say I've been bitten by the bug of their enthusiasm. We chatted a bit about the goals I was hoping to achieve (hunting) and he recommended the Viper as a good entry level Longbow. I'm hoping to join the Lilydale Bowmen as I've heard there are plenty of trad guys there. Looks like a fun ride !!! Regards, Charlie.